Farm Store Manager
Berea College is currently recruiting for an individual to serve as the Farm Store Manager.
The Farm Store Manager will be the primary staff member responsible for operating the Berea College Farm Store as a retail space for selling raw and value-added products from the Berea College Farm and as an educational laboratory to support active and engaged student learning about agriculture and food. The manager’s responsibilities will include operation of the retail store, development and production of value-added products, training and supervision of student workers, and coordinating with the faculty and staff of the Berea College Farm and Agriculture and Natural Resources program. This person could also be involved periodically in teaching or team-teaching a course in value-added food production if they have the appropriate credentials.
- Education required to ensure success in this position: BA or BS in agriculture, food science, business, marketing, or a related area desired
- Experience required to ensure success in this position: Grocery marketing and sales or restaurant operations; retail business management; supervision and training of employees who handle food and conduct retail sales
- Special skills, knowledge and abilities: Knowledge of food safety, HACCP, POS systems, inventory and record-keeping for retail business; broad understanding of agricultural sustainability and food systems; MS Excel; web-based social media
- License, certification, or registration necessary: KY driver’s license; GAP training desirable; food manager/handler certification desirable
- Physical requirements: Lifting and loading heavy boxes; standing or walking 50% of the time; working in the cold
- Environmental conditions: Work in a refrigerated room 15% of time; dusty conditions during milling; presence of food allergens (including milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, seafood, shellfish, soy and wheat); meat and animal carcasses; bleach Ability to operate the following vehicles or equipment: Refrigerated truck; common commercial kitchen equipment; POS systems
- Train and manage 6-8 part-time student employees during the academic year and 2-3 full-time student employees during the summer in the routine operations of the store, including some weekends.
- Implement and manage an appropriate, effective and efficient POS and inventory management systems and safety protocols for workers and production of food products.
- Coordinate ordering, receiving, storage, processing, packaging, selling, and inventorying of Berea College Farm products through the store.
- Communicate with farm staff on product availability and delivery, marketing and pricing, and special events.
- Work in a team with faculty, staff, and students in developing, evaluating and test-marketing value-added made products from raw farm ingredients for sale at the store while ensure food safety.
- Work with the office and farm marketing manager in promoting the farm and its products using print and electronic social media.
- Monitor the budget for the farm store enterprise; purchase necessary equipment and supplies; and track and report sales data to the farm director and staff.
- Coordinate with faculty on the use of the farm store as a laboratory for courses.