IA Policy, Curriculum, Requirements - entered UNH prior to fall 2010

Policy and Curriculum for students who entered UNH prior to fall 2010

General Policy

  • All International Affairs course requirements must be completed with a grade of ‘C’ or better.
  • Coursework for the International Affairs dual majors may not be taken pass/fail.
  • International Affairs students are expected to maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA (which is the minimum required for study abroad at UNH).
  • The IA dual major requires no additional credits for graduation beyond the 128 required of all UNH students.
  • Students are expected to declare IA as their second major before completing their foreign experience.
  • Students should meet one-on-one with their IA advisor to update their plan of study at least once a semester.

Declaring the Major

To declare International Affairs as a dual major, a student must:

  • Complete IA 401 with a grade of ‘C’ or better.
  • Have declared (or be prepared to declare) a primary major.
  • Have a 2.5 cumulative grade point average.

Once a student meets the declaration requirements, they must file a Change of Program Form (Change of Major Form) signed by an IA official, in order to declare IA as their second major. Students should meet with an IA advisor to track their progress in the major.

Students should declare IA before they begin their foreign experience!

Structure of the IA Dual Major

Core courses 

Permission is required for all IA core courses. Contact CIEGE or registration details.

 IA 401 - International Perspectives: Science, Business, and Politics 

  • Taken no later than the fall of the sophomore year.

IA 501 - Global Issues in International Affairs

  • Taken no later than the spring of the sophomore year.
  • Pre-requisite – IA 401.
  • Completed before study abroad.

IA 701 - Seminar in International Affairs

  • Capstone senior seminar (usually taken in the spring of the senior year).
  • Pre-requisites – IA 401, IA 501, Geography exam, Foreign Language competency & Foreign Experience. Students must be declared IA majors in order to register for IA 701.
  • There is an assignment due on the 1st day of class. Check on Blackboard.


Students must take four IA electives, one course out of each of the following four groups:

Foreign Area
Science, Technology and Private Sector
Public Policy
Theory in International Affairs

Complete list of electives (pdf)

Fall 2013 semester electives (pdf)

Spring 2014 semester electives (pdf)

  • Courses used to satisfy International Affairs elective requirements must be from outside the student’s disciplinary major(s). Students pursuing two disciplinary majors in addition to International Affairs may count one of the courses in either disciplinary major as an International Affairs elective.
  • For any major with 14 or more required courses (or 56 or more required credit hours), the IA program permits counting a maximum of three courses or 12 credits from the major program as International Affairs electives.
  • International Affairs electives may be used to fulfill Gen Ed, honors program, and/or minor requirements.
  • Three of the four IA electives must be UNH courses, offered on-campus or by a study abroad managed program. Only one elective can be taken at another institution, e.g., while abroad or transferred from another university.
  • The Foreign Area elective is taken prior to study abroad and must be approved by the International Affairs advisor as relevant to the country or region where the student will study.

Foreign Language Competency

IA majors must demonstrate functional reading, writing, speaking, and listening ability in a foreign language at the advanced college level. Students who are taking a language at UNH that is not offered at the 3rd year level, will be required to satisfy the 600 level IA language requirement by studying a minimum of 8 U.S. semester credits (or the equivalent) at an accredited institution or on an approved study abroad program.

Foreign language competency requirement can be satisfied through:

  • Completing the study of the chosen language through the 3rd year, 2nd semester (generally this is the 632 level).
  • a grade of ‘C’ or better in an examination measuring competency in the chosen foreign language, equivalent to that required in the 3rd year, 2nd semester.
  • Students who pursue less commonly taught languages such as Arabic, Chinese or Japanese should speak with the Coordinator of Student Programs about suitable approved programs.  For those who choose to study Arabic, it is required that students take the introductory and intermediate level courses at UNH prior to their international experience.
  • Foreign language competency must be established before a student may register for IA 701.
  • Most IA dual majors also graduate with a minor in their foreign language.

Geography Competency

Reference: National Geographic Student Atlas of the World, 3rd edition
Exam is offered once each semester; date will be announced on Blackboard's International Affairs organization, sent to students via email and posted on the CIEGE Facebook page.

The Geography Competency test is administered once every semester.

  • The test is graded on a pass/fail basis.
  • Students are allowed up to three tries to pass the test.
  • Students must pass the test before they can register for IA 701.
  • Study Guide.

Foreign Experience

Minimum eight weeks of study, directed research, internship, or professional experience in a foreign country.

  • done after a student has completed IA 501 & declared IA as their second major.
  • must be completed before enrollment in IA 701.
  • plan foreign experience at least one full year before term abroad

Students interested in directed research may wish to explore the Study Abroad Research Grants available through the Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research, Hood House 209.

Students who wish to complete the foreign experience requirement through an internship or professional experience abroad should first check the approved programs list for opportunities.  If there is no suitable program available then students should meet with their IA advisor to discuss the next steps which may entail a detailed petition and proposal process.  All materials should be submitted by the middle of the semester prior to the term in which the internship or experience is to occur.