A letter from a member of the LGBTQIAP+ community

Thursday, June 16, 2016
Charlie Durkin '17

The following was written by UNH senior Charlie Durkin in response to this week’s mass shooting at the Orlando gay nightclub Pulse. Durkin identifies as queer, polyamorous, and transgender, and is vice president of TransUNH, a student coordinator for Safe Zones and a member of UNH Alliance.

On my 18th birthday, I went to a gay club in Manchester near where I grew up. It was the first time I had ever been surrounded by so many other people in the community and it was the first time I ever felt protected in my identity. But now after seeing an event like this, it's really hard not to think that it could have been me. It could have been one of my friends, a family member, anyone close to me. It reminds me that we really have no place to truly call a safe space. 

It's a really scary thought because although this event was on such large publicized scale, hate crimes like this are still happening every day all over the country and the world. The day before the shooting a transgender woman of color was murdered and then even the morning of the shooting another transgender woman of color was also murdered.

This isn't a new trend, but clearly things are escalating to some extent and yet there are still people who can lie to themselves and say racism, homophobia and transphobia aren't issues in the U.S. or in the world. Events like this should remind us that not only are these things presents in our society, but that they're more than just issues, they're epidemics. 

Man’s Inhumanity to Man

Members of the university community came together to honor the 49 people who lost their lives this week in the largest mass shooting in our country’s history. Article

In regards to this being called a hate crime, I feel like there really should be no debate about this. This was a well know LGBTQ+ club and it was Latin night at this club; 49 people were shot dead. If that isn't a hate crime, I don't know what is. Regardless of the affiliations of the shooter, this group of people and these communities were directly targeted in an attack fueled by hate, terror and ignorance, which should not be downplayed in any way. Was this also an act of terror? Without a doubt.

I've been devastated to see an increase in hate crimes and speech towards people in other underrepresented, targeted groups, specifically Muslims. People are so quick to condemn Islam for fueling violence when the religion, like most, was founded on peace and love.

We don't generalize religions such as Christianity for the act of a few extremists, like the Westboro Baptist Church, yet most people don't think twice about doing it to Islam based on the acts of a handful of extremists. In fact, there have been 998 shootings since Sandy Hook, a mere two of which involved Muslims. So obviously Muslims aren't the people to blame, yet the Islamaphobia seems never ending.  We do not stop hate crimes like this by perpetuating the hate in other ways or towards other underrepresented groups. 

One final thing I would like to share is something I wrote today just before the vigil: 

When people can ignore one of the deadliest shootings in our country's history, we have to be proud.

When people would rather hide behind their own prejudices than condemn a blatant act of racism, homophobia and transphobia, we have to be proud.

When people would rather cling to their guns than even acknowledge the tragic loss of 49 innocent human lives, we have to be proud.

When you are completely broken and don't know how to go on, we have to be proud.

Not proud of the people committing these disgusting acts who perpetuate all of these issues, but proud of the people in the communities who live with this every day. And proud of the people who can't make it, because it is far more than anyone should ever be asked to endure.

Because we aren't just people. We are warriors. And not because we want to be, but because we have to be. Keep fighting, my fellow warriors and I promise to keep fighting right beside you.

Be proud because we are so much more than the hate that surrounds us simply for existing as our beautiful selves.

Be proud because sometimes that's all you can do.