Artists reveal themselves at URC event

Wednesday, April 20, 2016
Matt Kasabian '16, UNH Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting

Matthew Kasabian presented his “Thoughts on Painting” at the Undergraduate Research Conference Naked Arts event on Wednesday.

The Museum of Art was awash in creativity during Act I of the three-part Naked Arts event on Wednesday, where painters and thespians and writers and photographers revealed the creative processes behind their works, from inspiration to gallery presentation.

In his presentation, “Thoughts on Painting,” Matthew Kasabian ’16 said, “For me, it's really important to work directly from the world in front of me.  I'm really engaged with the translation that occurs from three to two dimensions. More specifically, I'm concerned with how I make this translation, what is involved and how it is I can be honest and authentic to both the physical world as I'm experiencing it and myself in this process.”

UNH student Matthew Kasabian '16
Matt Kasabian in the studio

Kasabian, a Brunswick, Maine, native, will graduate with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in painting next month.

His advisor on the project, associate professor Leah Woods, said Kasabian has been a wonderful student to work with. “He’s very thoughtful about his direction,” Woods said. “And, he’s really good at listening to his classmates and giving constructive feedback in the context of what they’re trying to do.”

Don’t miss The Naked Arts Acts II & III!

Thursday, April 21
The Naked Arts – Creativity Exposed! (Act II)
12:40 – 2 p.m.
Museum of Art, Paul Creative Arts Center

Friday, April 22
The Naked Arts – Creativity Exposed! (Act III)
12:15 – 1 p.m.
Memorial Union Building, Strafford Room

All URC events

Photographer: 
Scott Ripley | UNH Marketing | scott.ripley@unh.edu | 603-862-1855