Skip to Content Find it Fast

This browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets.

Undergraduate Course Catalog 2010-2011

Special University Programs

University-Wide Programs

Fellowships Office

The UNH Fellowships Office provides information, counsel, and editorial support to high achieving students applying for national and international fellowships and scholarships. The office also assists faculty members who serve as mentors and recommenders and arranges for members of the faculty to take part in interviews and screening committees.

Established in 2005, the Fellowships Office is situated in the University Honors Program. In recruiting, advising, and supporting students with exceptionally strong records of academic excellence, the office staff collaborates campus-wide with other offices and departments of the University, including the Center for International Education and the Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research, in support of the University’s Academic Plan.

The services of the Fellowships Office are available to undergraduates, graduate students, and alumni of the University. The Fellowships Office staff holds membership in the National Association of Fellowships Advisors. For more information, please contact Robert E. Stiefel, coordinator and adviser, Fellowships Office, 220 Hood House, (603) 862-0733; e-mail:

^ back to top

Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research


In keeping with this research University’s mission to create and disseminate knowledge, UNH’s Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research offers undergraduates—working in concert with UNH faculty mentors—both funding and administrative support for individually designed academic projects ranging from laboratory research to humanist scholarship and fine and performing arts creations. Once completed, projects and their student authors may receive further support from Undergraduate Research for presentations at national and international conferences and for on-line publication in the undergraduate research journal, Inquiry.

Initially known as UROP (Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program), the Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research currently offers year-round academic opportunities both in the U.S. and abroad via competitive grant applications. Undergraduate Research Awards (URA) are available each semester (research time commitment is flexible); Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF) awards for the U.S. and abroad offer support between academic years. By registering for INCO 590: Student Research Experience, students can work directly with faculty members while receiving academic credit and support for research expenses. The International Research Opportunities Program (IROP), a research summer abroad under the direction of both a UNH mentor and a colleague at the research location, offers nearly unlimited possibilities for exploration of any topic anywhere in the world (recent destinations: Mongolia, Thailand, Namibia, Germany, Australia; recent topics: moose habitats, neonatal care in China, Bangkok police department organization, impressionist strategies for open-air painting).

Grants from the Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research open doors on real-world disciplinary practice, graduate schools, post-baccalaureate fellowships, and careers; undergraduate research develops first-hand knowledge of the world and one’s place in it. For information about all awards, programs, and Inquiry, contact the Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research,  209 Hood House, (603) 862-4323, or visit the Web site at

^ back to top

University Honors Program


The University Honors Program (UHP), established by the Academic Senate in 1983, recognizes the achievements and capabilities of outstanding students. The program enriches undergraduate education by offering a personal, intensive approach to learning through small classes of 25 or fewer students. UHP students take a minimum of four honors-designated courses in their freshman and sophomore years, one of which must be an honors 444 seminar. These courses count toward the Discovery Program requirements that all students must fulfill. Students also must complete their department's honors-in-major requirements in order to earn a "University Honors" designation upon graduation (see the "Honors-in-Major" description below).

Honors Discovery Program courses are listed in the Time and Room Schedule under "Honors." Enrolling in honors courses requires permission from the UHP Office, located at 211 Hood House. Honors courses are open with special permission to non-honors students with a 3.2 or higher GPA on a space-available basis.


Currently, there are more than 50 different departments from all five of the University's undergraduate schools and colleges offering honors-in-major programs. Academic work for honors in major requires a minimum of 16 credits, at least four of which will be devoted to a senior thesis project. Students should familiarize themselves with their departments' requirements and should meet with their departmental Honors liaison ( After successful completion of the program, students will earn an honors designation on their transcripts and diplomas.

Honors-in-Major Programs

Animal Science Anthropology Arts Biochemistry
Biology Business Administration Chemistry Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering Classics Communication Communication Disorders
Computer Engineering Computer Science Earth Sciences Economics
Electrical Engineering English Environmental Conservation Studies Environmental Horticulture
Environmental & Resource Economics Environmental Sciences Family Studies Forestry
French Geography German Health Management Policy
History Hospitality Management Humanities Kinesiology
Linguistics Mathematics Mechanical Engineering Medical Laboratory Science
Microbiology Music Nursing Nutritional Sciences
Occupational Therapy Outdoor Education Philosophy Physics
Plant Biology Political Science Psychology Recreation Management Policy
Russian Social Work Sociology Spanish
Theatre Wildlife and Conservation Biology Women's Studies Zoology


Admissions and Aid

Students gain admittance into the UHP in one of two ways:

  1. The Office of Admissions identifies a number of qualified incoming freshmen to be admitted to the honors program.
  2. Freshmen who demonstrate academic excellence are also invited to join the program.

To satisfy University Honors Program requirements, UHP students must meet designated grade-point average requirements. Students admitted to the program prior to the fall semester of 2008 must have a final cumulative grade-point average of 3.2, while students admitted to the fall semester of 2008 or thereafter must have a final cumulative grade-point average of 3.4. All students must meet the grade-point average requirements of their honors-in-major program.

Full-tuition and partial-tuition merit-based scholarships are available to a select number of incoming freshmen. Several partial-tuition scholarships are also awarded to upper-class students. For more information, contact Monica Chiu, Director, University Honors Program, 211 Hood House, (603) 862-3928, or visit the UHP website at

^ back to top

Interdisciplinary Programs

Earth, Oceans, and Space


Professor: Amitava Bhattacharjee, Martin A. Lee, Eberhard Möbius, Joachim Raeder, Barrett N. Rock, Andrew A. Rosenberg, James M. Ryan
Program Director: Roy B. Torbert
Research Professor: David S. Bartlett, Janet W. Campbell, Charles J. Farrugia, Terry Forbes, Stephen E. Frolking, Christopher W. Glass, Philip A. Isenberg, Charles W. Smith III, Robert W. Talbot
Affiliate Professor: John D. Aber, Troy W. Hartley
Associate Professor: Benjamin D. Chandran, James Connell, Lynn M. Kistler, Mark L. McConnell, Scott V. Ollinger, James M. Pringle
Research Associate Professor: Bobby H. Braswell, Jack E. Dibb, Mark A. Fahnestock, Antoinette B. Galvin, Erik A. Hobbie, Harald A. Kucharek, Marc R. Lessard, Clifford Lopate, Huiting Mao, Alexander A. P. Pszenny, Barkley C. Sive, Douglas C. Vandemark, Ruth K. Varner, Bernard J. Vasquez, Cameron P. Wake
Assistant Professor: Kai Germaschewski, Richard G. Smith
Research Assistant Professor: Peter Forbes Bloser, Ulisse Bravar, Li-Jen Chen, Fatemeh Ebrahimi, Richard Lammers, Mary E. Martin, Chung-Sang Ng, Joseph Salisbury, Wilfred M. Wollheim, Jingfeng Xiao

The Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space (EOS) is UNH’s largest research organization and its first University Institute. It brings together under common themes a number of well-established research programs. Research activities are focused in EOS’ four centers: the Climate Change Research Center, the Complex Systems Research Center, the Ocean Process Analysis Laboratory, and the Space Science Center.

EOS scientists are exploring processes on the Sun, solar influences on Earth and its magnetosphere, the chemistry and dynamics of the atmosphere, changing climate, and large-scale ecosystems in terrestrial and marine environments, emphasizing complex impacts on and by human activities. Research takes EOS investigators from the most distant energetic phenomena in the universe to the Earth’s environment in space; to tropical, temperate, and boreal forests; from the coast of New Hampshire to the Gulf of Maine and the world's great oceans; from the grasslands and agricultural fields of China to those of the American Midwest; from the great ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica to the summit of Mount Washington. EOS scientists and students use satellites, aircraft, ships, and computers to explore and investigate the most important processes in the universe, in our solar system, and on our planet.

The primary educational theme of the Institute is the training and mentoring of graduate students through participation in advanced research funded by major national and international organizations; for example, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the National Science Foundation, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. However, EOS faculty teach and mentor undergraduate students as well, and there are numerous opportunities for undergraduates to participate in the research activities of the Institute. Undergraduates interested in EOS activities should contact either EOS faculty in their academic departments, or e-mail the EOS director’s office,

^ back to top

Gerontology (GERO)

» Click to view course offerings

The gerontology interdisciplinary minor provides students with the opportunity to examine and evaluate the aging process as it affects the individual and society. Through in-depth inquiry, personal encounters, and classroom discussion, students develop an understanding of aging from a variety of perspectives. Students are encouraged to analyze the historical and philosophical foundations from which policies, programs, and professional activities affecting the aged are developed, implemented, and evaluated.

Gerontology minors are required to take a minimum of 20 credits (five courses) from the following approved list.
GERO 600, Introduction to Gerontology
GERO 795, Independent Study (a practicum arranged by the coordinator of the minor, or by the appropriate designee)
FS 525, Human Development
KIN 607, Biology of Aging
NURS 535, Death and Dying
OT 501, Developmental Tasks of Adulthood
PSYC 582, Adult Development and Aging
PSYC 741, Cognitive Aging
SW 525, Introduction to Social Welfare Policy
SW 550, Human Behavior and Social Environment I
SW 701, Women and Aging

Students who wish to minor in gerontology should consult the College of Health and Human Services Dean’s Office.

» Click to view course offerings

^ back to top

Intercollege Courses (INCO)

» Click to view course offerings

Courses appearing in previous editions of this catalog under the caption INCO 404 Honors: Introductory Seminar are offered this year with subject codes and the course number 444H. For more information, see University Academic Requirements. INCO 404 is reserved as a course designation for possible use in future years.

» Click to view course offerings

^ back to top

International Affairs (dual major) (IA)

» Click to view course offerings

Lecturer: Biniam Iyob

The Center for International Education offers undergraduate students the opportunity to pursue a dual major in international affairs.  The dual major requires completion of the interdisciplinary international affairs program and any other major.  The purpose of the program is to expand students’ global horizons, enhance their disciplinary major, and expand their career opportunities into the international arena.  For students who matriculated into UNH prior to fall semester 2010, please refer to the undergraduate catalog of your year of matriculation.

Required Core Courses (4 total)
IA 401, International Perspectives: Science, Geography, and Politics
IA 501, Global Issues in International Affairs
IA 701, Seminar in International Affairs
ECON 401A, Principles of Economics (Macro) or  ECON 402A, Principles of Economics (Micro)

Electives (3 total)
Choose one elective course from each category below.
Foreign Area (to be taken prior to foreign experience)
Science, technology, and the private sector
Policy and Theory in international affairs

Competency in a Foreign Language
Functional reading, writing, and speaking ability equivalent to the third-year, second-semester level

Foreign Experience
Minimum of eight weeks in a non-English speaking country

The courses in the dual major program are multidisciplinary, taught by faculty from many different departments in the University. They are designed to help students appreciate the complex interrelationships and interdependencies among nations and peoples and to equip students with the analytical skills and broad perspectives necessary for both public and private sector international careers.

Students who wish to declare international affairs must earn a C or better in IA 401, have declared (or be prepared to declare) a disciplinary major, and have a 2.5 cumulative grade-point average. After declaration, students are expected to maintain at least a 2.5 grade-point average, which is also the minimum required for study abroad at UNH.

IA 401, a prerequisite for IA 501, should be taken no later than spring of the sophomore year. IA 501 should be taken prior to foreign experience. 

The foreign experience (usually completed during the junior year),  and the foreign language requirement are completed before taking IA 701 in the senior year. To acquire the knowledge, skills, and experience that come from residence in a foreign culture, students may spend an academic year, semester, or summer in an academic institution, in an internship with a private or public organization, or in purposeful travel/research. All foreign experiences must be pre-approved by the IA major adviser or the University Committee on International Studies.

The completion of the dual major requires no additional credits for graduation beyond the 128 required of all UNH students. All coursework required for international affairs must be completed with a grade of C or better. For information, contact the Center for International Education, Hood House, (603) 862-2398,

* The Department of Civil Engineering has worked with the UNH Center for International Education to develop a dual-major program in civil engineering and international affairs. Civil engineering students participating in this program develop a proficiency in a foreign language and spend at least one semester studying abroad in that language. Students can complete this program in five years or less and do not need to have existing skills in a foreign language to participate. For more information, contact Ray Cook at (603) 862-1411 or by e-mail to


» Click to view course offerings

^ back to top

Marine Sciences

Professor: Kenneth C. Baldwin, Wayne R. Fagerberg, Larry G. Harris, W. Huntting Howell, Aaron B. Margolin, Arthur C. Mathieson, Larry A. Mayer, Subhash C. Minocha, Christopher D. Neefus, Andrew A. Rosenberg, Stacia A. Sower, Paul C. Tsang, Charles W. Walker, Colin Ware, Winsor H. Watson III
Research Professor: Janet W. Campbell, Christopher W. Glass, Raymond E. Grizzle, Michael P. Lesser, Frederick T. Short
Affiliate Professor: Andrew Armstrong
Associate Professor: Mimi Larsen Becker, David L. Berlinsky, Jessica A. Bolker, Allen D. Drake, Anita S. Klein, James M. Pringle, Robert A. Robertson
Research Associate Professor: Lee Alexander, David M. Burdick, Brian R. Calder, Stephen H. Jones, Yuri Rzhanov, Douglas C. Vandemark, Cameron P. Wake, Larry G. Ward
Assistant Professor: Joel E. Johnson, Linda Kalnejais
Research Assistant Professor: Gregg E. Moore, Thomas Weber
Clinical Professor: Elise R. Sullivan
Extension Associate Professor: Julia M. Peterson
Extension Assistant Professor: Kenneth J. La Valley

Undergraduate programs in marine science and ocean engineering at the University of New Hampshire reflect the diversity of the ocean itself and are enriched by easy access to a variety of natural laboratories, including tidal rivers, estuaries, coastal areas, and the open ocean.

Studies in marine science and ocean engineering are offered through various departments of the University. Students identify the discipline (ranging from zoology through earth sciences to mechanical engineering) they like best and pursue marine specializations related to that area of study. Studies can take place in research laboratories on campus as well as at various field stations or aboard UNH research vessels.

Marine Program
The Marine Program provides a campus-wide umbrella for marine activities and maintains specialized facilities to support efforts of faculty in individual departments and organized research units. Academic programs are focused broadly on marine biology, ocean engineering, and ocean science, and the Marine Program supports experiential learning opportunities beyond the formal classroom through three centers: the Center for Marine Biology, the Center for Ocean Engineering, and the Center for Ocean Sciences.

Estuarine research is pursued at the Jackson Estuarine Laboratory on Great Bay, which is designated a National Estuarine Research Reserve. The Coastal Marine Laboratory, a major running-seawater facility, is located in nearby Newcastle. Research on salmonids and other freshwater animals is conducted at the Anadromous Fish and Aquatic Invertebrate Research Laboratory, located near the Durham reservoir. The Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space is a major center for ocean sciences research. The on-campus Chase Ocean Engineering Laboratory houses both educational and research activities. Off-shore and coastal studies are carried out aboard the University’s 50-foot research vessel, the Gulf Challenger. During the summer, students may live and study at the Shoals Marine Laboratory on Appledore Island, one of the Isles of Shoals. There, UNH and Cornell University cooperatively offer undergraduate courses in marine sciences in a summer field laboratory setting. Each of the marine program facilities features modern, specialized equipment and opportunities for undergraduate students to work and carry out independent research.

Curricula in the Marine Sciences
There are currently two undergraduate majors and four minors in the marine sciences. The College of Life Sciences and Agriculture offers a B.S. in Marine, Estuarine and Freshwater Biology and the Department of Earth Sciences offers an option in oceanography as part of its B.A. Earth Sciences program. In addition to these offerings, students can declare a major in any established discipline and augment it with a minor in marine biology, ocean engineering, oceanography, or wetland ecology.

Students are encouraged to declare their intention to follow these programs as soon as possible.

Marine Biology Minor
See College of Life Sciences and Agriculture Interdisciplinary Programs-Marine Biology at

Ocean Engineering Minor
The ocean engineering minor allows undergraduate engineering students to acquire a nucleus of knowledge about engineering pertaining to the ocean and the coastal zone.

To meet the University minor requirement, students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of five courses from the following list: ESCI 501, Introduction to Oceanography; OE 690, Introduction to Ocean Engineering; ESCI 752, Chemical Oceanography; ESCI 758, Introductory Physical Oceanography; ESCI 759, Geological Oceanography; OE 710, Ocean Measurements Lab; OE 744, Corrosion; OE 745, Environmental Acoustics I;  OE 754, Ocean Waves and Tides; OE 756, Principles of Naval Architecture and Model Testing; OE 770, Fundamentals of Ocean Mapping; OE 771, Geodesy and Positioning for Ocean Mapping; OE 785, Environmental Acoustics II; OE 795, Special Topics in Ocean Engineering; ENE 747, Introduction to Marine Pollution and Control; OE 757, Coastal Engineering and Processes; and TECH 797, Undergraduate Ocean Research Program. Ordinarily, students typically take ESCI 501, TECH 797, and OE 690 plus two additional engineering courses from the above list to complete the minor.

Students wishing to take the ocean engineering minor should indicate their interest to the ocean engineering minor adviser, Kenneth C. Baldwin, (603) 862-1898, Chase Ocean Engineering Laboratory, no later than the beginning of the junior year. During the final semester, students must apply to the dean to have the minor shown on their transcript.

Oceanography Minor
The minor in oceanography is available to all students in the University interested in obtaining a broad background in oceanography and is offered through the Department of Earth Sciences. The minor consists of a minimum of five courses with grades of C (2.0) or better and no pass/fail courses. No more than 8 major requirement credits may be used. All courses in the program are selected in consultation with the oceanography minor adviser, James Pringle, (603) 862-5000, Department of Earth Sciences.

Required courses include 1) ESCI 501, Introduction to Oceanography; 2) two of the following courses: ESCI 750, Biological Oceanography; ESCI 752, Chemical Oceanography; ESCI 758, Introductory Physical Oceanography; or ESCI 759, Geological Oceanography; 3) any two of the following courses, or a suitable substitute approved by the minor adviser (at least one of these courses should be in the biological sciences): PBIO 625, 722; CIE 757; ENE 747, 753; ESCI 653, 658, 754, 756, 760, 770, 771; MICR 707; OE 690, 710, 753, 754, 757, 785; EREC 611; TECH 797; ZOOL 503, 560, 674, 720, 725, 730, 751, 753, 772, 775; or ZOOL/ESCI/750.

Students are encouraged to declare their intention to minor in oceanography before the end of the junior year. During the final semester, students should apply to the dean to have the minor shown on their transcript.

Shoals Marine Laboratory
The University of New Hampshire, in cooperation with Cornell University, offers a summer field program in marine sciences on Appledore Island at the Isles of Shoals. Undergraduate courses introduce students to a broad array of marine sciences, including marine biology, field ecology, and marine organisms. The four-week, 8-credit general courses, Field Marine Science (ZOOL 674) and Field Marine Biology and Ecology (ZOOL 675), are offered every summer. They draw upon the backgrounds of numerous faculty and others associated with marine science and fisheries. There are daily lectures and work in laboratory and field. The courses are graded on a letter-grade basis; at least one full year of college biology or the equivalent is a prerequisite.  There are a variety of opportunities for undergraduate research at SML, including both credit courses and paid internships.

Other credit courses  offered include  marine botany, invertebrate zoology, experimental ecology, ornithology, animal behavior, fish ecology, courses on lobsters and sharks, marine vertebrates, underwater research, and biological illustration. SML courses can be used to fulfill requirements in various biology-related UNH major curricula.  SML courses may be taken for Honors credit by UNH students with permission.

Shoals offers financial aid to UNH students (outside of the normal UNH financial aid packages). For further information, contact Jessica Bolker at (603) 862-0071, or e-mail, Department of Biological Sciences.

Diving Program
UNH has maintained an active research diving program for the past 36 years to provide assistance for faculty, staff, and students with both instruction and support for research diving, allowing many certified student divers to participate in University-sponsored underwater research projects. Today the UNH Diving Program consists of two areas: the academic portion where students, faculty, and staff may enroll in courses for academic credit (through the Department of Kinesiology), and the research portion, which supports faculty and student divers in University-sponsored underwater projects.

For further information about the UNH Diving Program as well as the offered workshops in rescue diving and diving accident management, contact Liz Kintzing (, diving program officer, through the Diving Program Office at (603) 862-3896.

Marine Research
There are many opportunities for undergraduates to participate in marine research under the supervision of UNH faculty.

The University has a Sea Grant College Program that supports research, teaching, and service projects through numerous partnerships with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Marine research projects are also supported through the National Science Foundation, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Office of Naval Research, and other state and federal agencies, foundations and private donors.

Extensive research, interdisciplinary academic programs, and the extraordinary variety of marine environments and facilities allow students to observe and learn about the frontiers of science and technology being explored in the ocean. For further information about marine opportunities, contact the Marine Program Office in the Jere A. Chase Ocean Engineering Laboratory or through the Marine Program Web site at

^ back to top

Ocean Engineering (OE)

» Click to view course offerings

Professor: Kenneth C. Baldwin, Barbaros Celikkol, Larry A. Mayer, M. Robinson Swift, Igor I. Tsukrov, Colin Ware
Research Professor: Lee Alexander, James Irish
Affiliate Professor: Andrew Armstrong, Christopher E. Parrish
Associate Professor: Allen D. Drake
Research Associate Professor: Brian R. Calder, Thomas C. Lippmann, Yuri Rzhanov, Larry G. Ward
Affiliate Associate Professor: David Monahan
Research Assistant Professor: Shackak Pe'eri, Kurt Schwehr, Thomas Weber
Affiliate Assistant Professor: John Kelley

Race, Culture, and Power

How does the category of race shape our lives, our politics, and our possibilities? Events in this country and internationally constantly remind us that race is an explosive issue. To be able to function as citizens of the world, one must understand the dynamics of race, culture, and power.

This minor reflects intellectual currents now being felt around the world. It prepares students to live in the twenty-first century.

Courses for the minor enable students to develop critical perspectives on the ways in which cultural differentiation and racial explanations have been used to maintain social, economic, and political power and justify inequalities and injustices.

To complete the minor, students are required to take one of the following three courses: INCO 450, an introductory course; ANTH 760, Race in Global Perspectives; or EDUC 797/897, Teaching Race; in addition to 16 credits of electives. Students must earn a C- or better in each course, and must maintain a 2.0 grade-point average in courses taken for the minor.

Elective Courses
Electives are approved for the minor and announced each semester in the Time and Room Schedule. Ordinarily, not more than two electives may be taken from the same academic department. A relevant internship may be substituted for one of the electives. Many electives are special topics and require student petition. Students should consult the minor coordinator before registration.

For further information please contact the coordinator, Cait Vaughan in the Center for the Humanities, Huddleston Hall room 322, (603) 862-2179, Or visit for course listings and program details. 

^ back to top

Student-Designed Majors

Under special circumstances, students may design their own majors. This option is offered for highly motivated and self-disciplined students who seek a course of study that is not available through existing programs at the University. It allows students, with the close supervision of faculty members, to cross department and college lines and to create educational experiences on and off campus as part of individual programs of study.

Student-designed majors are administered by a committee of elected faculty that operates through the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. Students who want to design their own majors are expected to give the committee evidence of careful thought and planning in a proposal submitted on or before October 15 during the student’s junior year. The committee will convene soon after October 15 to review the proposals.

Submissions after this deadline are strongly discouraged, but if an application is late for reasons beyond the student’s control, the SDM Committee may review the application on a case-by-case basis.

Proposal guidelines are available in the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and on the Academic Affairs Web site, Click on “Undergraduate Students.”

^ back to top

War and Peace Studies

War is the scourge of humankind. Tribes, cities, and nations have gone to war against each other for as long as we have records; only here and there, among some small “precivilized” groups, has war been absent or strictly controlled. For as long as we have records, too, we find thoughtful people crying out against war and pleading for peace, arguing for principles to govern war’s conduct and laboring to mitigate war’s effects, imagining a world where war is abolished, and taking steps to bring that world about. As the scale of war has grown to a size now great enough to devastate the entire globe in a single conflict, more and more people have devoted themselves to preventing war and finding acceptable substitutes. In the nuclear era, age-old moral and religious discussion has joined with historical study and practical, even technical, research to produce a set of related disciplines sometimes called “war and peace studies.”

To meet the requirements for the war and peace studies minor, students must complete two core courses (8 credits) and 12 credits of elective courses with a grade of C- or better. Ordinarily, no two electives (or no more than 4 credits) may be taken from the same academic department. No elective may count for both a student’s major and the war and peace minor. A relevant internship may be substituted for one of the electives. As they are announced, other relevant courses may be added to the list of acceptable electives. Students may request others not so listed. Courses carrying fewer than four credits will be counted as partial satisfaction of an elective requirement. If a good case can be made for it, a departure from any of these rules may be approved by the adviser for the minor and the coordinator.

All students will be assigned an adviser from the membership of the Committee on War and Peace Studies, ordinarily one not in the student’s major department. The adviser will assist students in constructing a coherent program that suits their particular interests.

The core courses are INCO 401, War, and INCO 402, Peace. Occasionally a new core course may be included.

Departmental elective courses will include courses such as these
AERO 681, National Security Forces in Contemporary American Society (3 cr.)
CMN 456, Propaganda and Persuasion
HIST 617, Vietnam War
HIST 537, Espionage and History
NR 435, Contemporary Conservation Issues and Environmental Awareness
POLT 562, Strategy and National Security Policy
POLT 778, International Organization
SOC 780, Social Conflict

Special offerings that may serve as electives
ANTH 797, Advanced Topics in Anthropology (e.g., War and Complex Society)
ECON 698, Topics in Economics (e.g., Economics of War and Peace)
ENGL 595, Literary Topics; ENGL 693, 694, Special Topics in Literature; ENGL 797, 798, Special Studies in Literature (e.g., Literature of World War I, Literature of the Vietnam War)
HIST 600, Advanced Explorations (e.g., Comparative Revolutions)
HUMA 730, Special Studies (e.g., Nonviolence, Thinking about War and Peace)
INCO 404P, Honors: Introductory Seminar (e.g., Understanding War)
POLT 660, Special Topics in International Politics (e.g., Arms Control and Disarmament)

For more information, contact Michael Ferber, Department of English, (603) 862-3973.

^ back to top

Preprofessional Programs


Many graduates of UNH attend law school. The faculty and staff advisers of the Prelaw Advising Committee work closely with students and alumni to identify interests and explore opportunities within legal education. The committee helps students undertake the best possible preparation for legal education while also bringing the excitement of law to UNH students. The committee achieves this goal through careful consideration of the American Bar Association’s (ABA) statement on preparation for legal education (found on the Web at

In that statement, the ABA explains why no single major or course is required or recommended for students wishing to explore or prepare for legal study. The ABA does, however, describe certain skills and values that are essential to success in law school and to life as a lawyer. These include analytic and problem solving skills, critical reading abilities, writing skills, oral communication and listening abilities, general research skills, task organization and management skills, and the values of serving others and promoting justice.

Prelaw Advising implements the ABA statement by working with student interests and strengths to select UNH courses, internships, and experiences that will develop those skills and values. Programmatically, the committee provides a prelaw resource library, visits to local law schools, and sponsors discussions with law school students, admission and financial aid representatives, and with members of the legal community. The committee also provides support for LSAT preparation, law school search, writing personal statements, and the application and selection processes.

Interested students should register with the committee by contacting the Prelaw Advising Office, 106 Hood House, at (603) 862-3485. Additional information is available at

^ back to top

Premedical/Prehealth Care Professional Study

The Pre-professional Health Programs Advising Office in Hood House provides advising for all students preparing for postgraduate careers in medicine, dentistry, optometry, chiropractic, podiatry, physical therapy, and physician assistant programs (for information on the preveterinary medicine option in animal sciences, see Animal Sciences major). There is no premedical or predental major at UNH. A student’s major is not considered in the medical school application process and students from majors in all five UNH colleges have been admitted to postgraduate health professional programs. Though premedical/predental is not a major, interested students are expected to register with the Pre-professional Health Programs Advising Office in Hood House as soon as possible so as to be kept informed of important events, opportunities, and deadlines regarding preparation for application.

A premedical/predental program at UNH consists of the following:
1. Taking the prerequisite courses for admission to a health professional program. Medical and dental schools generally require biology, physics, general chemistry, and organic chemistry—all two semesters each with laboratory. A semester of biochemistry is also required. A year of English is required, as is one year of math including at least one semester of calculus. Prerequisite courses can be taken as part of a student’s major curriculum, as part of the Discovery Program requirements, or as electives.

2. Gaining volunteer/health care experience. Applicants to health professional programs will be expected to demonstrate a sustained involvement in volunteer and community service. A significant portion of this experience must take place in a health professional setting and include direct patient contact. Most students gain this experience by volunteering at a hospital, though volunteer opportunities are available in a wide range of settings, including nursing homes and community clinics.

3. Preparing for the requisite entrance exam. Students applying to medical school are required to take the MCAT exam. Students applying to dental programs are required to take the DAT, and applicants to optometry programs take the OAT. The MCAT, DAT, and OAT are standardized, comprehensive exams that test students’ knowledge of biological and physical sciences as well as verbal reasoning and writing skills. Exams are usually taken by students no earlier than the spring of their junior year and should be taken only if the student has completed or is within a month of completing prerequisite coursework. Students applying for physician assistant and physical therapy programs may be required to take the GRE, a more general exam similar to the SAT in structure and content.

Application process
The Pre-professional Health Programs Advising Office works with the Premedical/Predental Advisory Committee—a body of 10-12 UNH faculty members with interest and/or experience in medical/dental education—to provide students with comprehensive, confidential evaluation services at the time of application. An orientation meeting is held each September to outline the application process and establish timetables/deadlines. Students should note that the medical and dental school application process begins a full two years before matriculation; i.e., in the fall of a student’s junior year if they wish acceptance following graduation. However, a delay of a year or more between graduation and admission is neither unusual nor detrimental, and in many cases, students can use this time to improve their credentials by taking additional courses and/or gaining exposure to the profession.

It is important that students understand that in order to gain admission to a health professional program they must not only satisfy the prerequisite requirements, they must satisfy these requirements at a high level of achievement. The Pre-professional Health Programs Advising Office can provide students with information on competitive grade-point average and entrance exam scores for each of the postgraduate health professional programs.

The Pre-professional Health Programs Advising Office is located in Hood House and can be contacted by phone at (603) 862-2064 or by e-mail at The office also has a Web site at

^ back to top

Off-Campus Programs

Consortium (NHCUC) Student Exchange Program

Under the Student Exchange Program of the New Hampshire College and University Council (NHCUC), UNH students may be eligible to enroll for one course per semester, one semester of courses, or a full year of coursework at a member school on a space-available basis. The NHCUC exchange allows matriculated undergraduates to use educational resources that are not available at the home campus and are considered appropriate for their degree programs. This exchange will be used only when academic reasons or other special circumstances warrant it. Approval of the UNH academic adviser and college dean is required, and students must meet all UNH Study Away eligibility standards. Schools in the NHCUC consortium include Chester College, Colby-Sawyer College, Franklin Pierce University, New England College, Southern New Hampshire University, Rivier College, Saint Anselm College, UNH Durham, UNH Manchester, Keene State College, and Plymouth State University. Students will remain as degree candidates and continue to pay normal UNH tuition and fees, but must make their own room and board arrangements if they plan to spend a full semester at another consortium school. For more information and application forms, students should contact the National Student Exchange Office, Hood House, (603) 862-3485.

^ back to top

Exchange Programs Within the U.S.

The University offers many opportunities for exchange study with other institutions within the U.S. National Exchange programs provide an educational experience in a different environment within North America. It is hoped that students will develop new ways of viewing the country and expand their knowledge of our complex society.

Through the National Student Exchange (NSE), UNH students can study at more than 190 colleges and universities throughout the U.S., U.S. territories (Guam, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands), and Canada. Several historically black colleges and universities are exchange members, and several are members of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities. In addition, a one-semester or full-year exchange program is available with the University of California, Santa Cruz.

To qualify for exchange study, students must be full-time undergraduate degree candidates in good standing, with at least a 2.5 grade-point average, have earned at least 32 credits (16 of which must be from UNH), have declared a major, receive permission from their college dean and academic adviser, and receive permission from the UNH NSE Coordinator.

Students in exchange programs are expected to return to UNH to complete their studies. Participation in an exchange program does not disrupt the continuity of a student’s educational process. Exchange program participants continue to maintain their status as UNH students, even while temporarily located at another university. Students do not have to withdraw from UNH and later be readmitted. Maintaining UNH student status also facilitates reentry into classes, on-campus housing, and many other dimensions of University life.

Interested students should contact the National Student Exchange office in Hood House, (603) 862-3485, or visit

^ back to top

New England Land-Grant Exchange Program

In order to provide students at the New England land-grant universities with expanded access to unique programs and faculty expertise, the institutions have agreed to encourage student exchanges of one, but not more than two, semesters. To qualify, students must identify a course or combination of courses related to their area of academic interest and not available on their home campus, be degree candidates in good standing with at least a 2.5 grade-point average, be at least first-semester sophomores, and receive permission from the appropriate university exchange authorities at both the home and host institutions. Interested students should contact the National Student Exchange Office, Hood House, (603) 862-3485.

^ back to top

UNH/UNHM Cross Registration

Matriculated students at the University of New Hampshire and the University of New Hampshire at Manchester may take UNH courses at either location. Students must have permission from their academic advisers and must register for the courses on a space-available basis during the open registration period for each campus. For more information, students should contact Donna Reed, associate registrar, Stoke Hall, (603) 862-1590, or Nikki Blodgett, assistant registrar, UNH Manchester, (603) 641-4141.

^ back to top

Study Abroad Programs

Study Abroad Programs


The University offers opportunities for full-time degree candidates meeting eligibility criteria to study abroad in many foreign institutions. UNH-managed programs are described in this section. Students may study abroad in other locations through UNH-approved programs by using the intercollegiate option (INCO). All students who study abroad pay a study abroad or exchange fee. For information on study abroad programs, students should contact the Center for International Education or the department identified in the UNH-managed program descriptions.

Study Abroad Eligibility
Students enrolled in UNH baccalaureate degree programs may participate in approved study abroad programs provided they meet the following eligibility criteria at the time of application:

1. be in good standing with the student conduct system;
2. must have earned at least 32 credit hours, at least 12 of which must have been earned at the University of New Hampshire at the baccalaureate level;
3. must have a minimum of 2.5 cumulative grade point average at the time of application to and at the time of departure for the study abroad program. Study abroad programs provided by UNH or other approved institutions may have higher minimum GPA requirements;
4. must have a declared major. Transfer students, including transfer students from the Thompson School of Applied Science (TSAS) are not eligible to study abroad during the first semester of their baccalaureate program at UNH.

Students enrolled in the degree programs of the Thompson School of Applied Science may participate in approved study abroad programs appropriate for two-year degree candidates. TSAS students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
1. must have earned 32 credits, at least 12 of which must have been earned at the University of New Hampshire at the associate degree level;
2. must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average at the time of application to and at the time of departure for the study abroad program. Study abroad programs provided by UNH or other approved institutions may have higher minimum GPA requirements.
National Student Exchange
Additional opportunities for exchange in Canada are available through the National Student Exchange (NSE) program. Nine campuses in six Canadian provinces are available for one semester or full-year exchange.  Contact National Student Exchange Office, 106 Hood House, (603) 862-3485 or visit

Cambridge Summer Program
For six weeks each summer, students from across the United States have the opportunity to participate in the UNH Cambridge Summer Program held at Cambridge University in England. Program participants take courses in English and history, taught by faculty from Cambridge University and UNH. Students live and study at Gonville and Caius College, one of the oldest colleges at Cambridge. The program is open to students who have successfully completed at least one year of college. Participation fulfills UNH’s Discovery Program requirement in World Cultures. For more information, contact the director at the Department of English, Cambridge Program Office, 53 Hamilton Smith Hall,

Lancaster Exchange Program
Lancaster University is a comprehensive university similar to UNH in size, setting, and program offerings. The program allows students to spend a semester or a year in Lancaster while still making normal progress toward their UNH degree. Contact the Center for International Education, Hood House, (603) 862-2398 or e-mail

London Program
At Regent’s College in the heart of London, the University of New Hampshire sponsors courses in British studies, the arts, humanities, and a wide range of other basic subjects offered during the fall and spring semesters. Taught by British and American faculty members, many of the courses are specifically concerned with British studies or have a special British emphasis. The program allows students to spend a semester or year in London while still making normal progress toward their U.S. degrees. To be eligible, students must have successfully completed at least 32 credit hours with an overall grade-point average of at least 2.5, and declared a major. Interested students should contact the program coordinator, London Program Office, 53 Hamilton Smith Hall,

Summer French Language Program in Brest
Qualified students in any major may take the equivalent of FREN 503 and/or 504, the UNH intermediate French sequence; the equivalent of FREN 631 and/or 632; and/or FREN 695, a more advanced language course not offered on the UNH campus; or Fren 635, Intro. to Business French. See the UNH online catalogue for specific course prerequisites. A port city in the province of Brittany in western France, Brest is the sister city of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

The courses are offered summer only in intensive four-week sessions at the Centre International d’Etudes des Langes (CIEL). Students generally live with local families and attend classes a total of 24 hours per week. Students receive UNH credit for these courses. For more information contact Barbara Cooper, Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, Murkland Hall, (603) 862-3771, or visit

Junior Year Program in Dijon
The Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures sponsors a junior year and a spring semester abroad programs at the University of Burgundy in Dijon, France. Students generally live with French families in the heart of this historic city and take classes at the university with French students. Credit for all work completed successfully will be automatically transferred to UNH. The program is open to those French majors who have completed FREN 631-632 and FREN 651-652 or equivalent, and to French minors who have completed FREN 631-632 and FREN 651 or 652 or equivalent, with a 2.5 GPA or better. For more information, see Claire Malarte Feldman, Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, Murkland Hall, (603) 862-1303, or visit

German-Speaking Countries
Students may study for a semester or a full year through any approved American study abroad program or, in special cases, by applying directly to universities in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland. Most programs require a minimum grade-point average of 3.0 and a B average in the major. Programs vary greatly in academic focus, size, language of instruction, living arrangements, services and extra-curricular programming provided, and cost. Some programs accept students only for a full year. Study abroad goals and requirements should be discussed with a German adviser as early as freshman year. Program and application materials may be obtained through the Center for International Education in Hood House. For credit in the German major or minor, the program must be conducted in German. After consultation with the major adviser and the study abroad adviser to establish possible UNH course equivalents and fulfillment of major and/or Discovery Program requirements, students submit a Prior Approval Form indicating the planned course of study abroad. To ensure proper credit transfer, especially if seeking to transfer credits directly from a university abroad without benefit of an American program, students should keep syllabi, course descriptions, and all written work. Students planning study at a university in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland should note major differences in academic calendar (winter semester October-February, summer session April-July), which may be shortened by the American sponsor university to accommodate U.S. academic calendars.

Junior Year Program in Salzburg, Austria
Students who have completed GERM 504 or equivalent may enroll for one or both semesters at the University of Salzburg through the New England Universities Consortium. UNH faculty contact person is Mary Rhiel, (603) 862-0063.

Short-course in Berlin, Germany
The UNH German Program manages a two-week program in January and June in Berlin, Germany. Students earn 4 credits through German 586, designed to give students a short immersion experience in the German language and culture. In the course of two weeks, students will receive forty hours of intensive language instruction at the appropriate level at the BSI Private Language School in central Berlin. Each weekday afternoon, students will gather for cultural excursions and discussions with the on-site UNH faculty member. A required pre- and post-meeting at UNH will prepare for, and give closure to, the Berlin experience. In line with UNH’s goals to educate students to become global citizens, this immersion experience will give students insight into what it means to experience a different culture and language. For more information, contact Mary Rhiel at (603) 862-0063, or visit

Intensive Language Courses through the Goethe Institut
Students needing to advance rapidly in proficiency beginning at any level and at any time of year may enroll at a Goethe Institut center in Germany for courses ranging from eight to 16 weeks and receive UNH equivalent credit depending on level of exam passed upon completion of course. UNH faculty contact person is Mary Rhiel, (603) 862-0063, or the Center for International Education, (603) 862-2398, or

German Internship
Students who have completed GERM 504 or equivalent may apply for an unpaid 4-8 credit internship placement in a German-speaking firm or organization. The internship does not alone fulfill the study abroad requirement for the major, but may count toward the minor and may be coupled with academic course work through UNH or any study abroad program to fulfill the major study abroad requirement. The faculty contact person is Mary Rhiel, (603) 862-0063.

Justice Studies Program in Budapest
The UNH Budapest Program in Justice Studies is designed to introduce students interested in the field to a broader appreciation of the cross-cultural perspective. Each fall, fifteen UNH students spend the semester in residence at the Corvinus University of Budapest in Hungary. Hungary offers students an opportunity to witness first-hand the evolution of a criminal justice system within a context of significant cultural, political, economic, and social change. Situated along the Danube in one of central Europe’s oldest cities, Corvinus offers a unique educational experience to students interested in the study of criminology, law, and society, and the administration of justice. Under the supervision of a UNH faculty member also in residence, students carry a four-course load, two of which are taught by the UNH faculty member. All courses are taught in English.

Eligible students must hold sophomore standing, have completed either SOC 515 or POLT 507, and one other course in the Justice Studies curriculum, and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5. Participating students will meet several times during the spring semester prior to the study abroad semester to prepare for the program. Interested students should contact the Budapest Program in the Justice Studies Office at (603) 862-1716, or visit

Engineering and Physical Sciences Exchange Program in Budapest
The College of Engineering and Physical Sciences has arranged an opportunity for its students to spend the fall semester of their junior year at the Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME) in Budapest, Hungary. Courses at BME are taught in English and receive prior approval for degree credit. Students studying at Budapest, therefore, can graduate on schedule at UNH. A general education course on the language, geography, and culture of Hungary, taken at BME, is strongly suggested. The foreign student office at BME will appoint a Hungarian adviser for each student and will assist in obtaining housing either in dormitories, or in apartments. Further information is available from the college’s educational assistant and the college’s academic counselor, Bobbi Gerry; or Andrzej Rucinski, Foreign Exchange Program Coordinator, (603) 862-1381. For more information, visit the program’s Web site at

WSBE in Budapest
The Whittemore School of Business and Economics has partnered with the Corvinus University of Budapest (formerly Budapest University of Economics Sciences and Public Administration) to offer students a unique opportunity to live and study in Budapest. This partnership allows WSBE students to take courses at Corvinus in the fall semester that directly transfers into the core of the Business Administration or Economics degrees and into most business options. This ensures that students can study abroad and graduate on time. Moreover, Budapest is developing into a commercial and financial center for many U.S. companies. Its importance for the U.S. economy is growing rapidly.

Students travel to Budapest in the last week of August. A WSBE faculty member meets students in  Budapest and sets them up in apartments in the city that are close to the University. The school works to make the transition to life in a foreign culture as simple and easy as possible. Additionally, in the future a WSBE faculty member will be teaching at Corvinus during the study abroad semester.  For more information, visit the program's Web site at

UNH-in-Italy in Ascoli Piceno
Students may participate in the UNH-in-Italy Program in the medieval city of Ascoli Piceno, for a semester, a year, or a summer session (see ITAL 685-686).

Academic Year Program. Students live either with Italian families or in apartments in the heart of the city and take UNH courses, taught in English, by UNH faculty. Students with advanced language skills may take courses taught in Italian. Internships are possible. There is no language prerequisite. Students must have a cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.5 and at least sophomore standing. For further information, contact Piero Garofalo, Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, Murkland Hall, (603) 862-3769,

Summer Program. UNH-in-Italy offers three different summer options. One is a five-week, 4-credit workshop in painting. The second is a five-week, 8-credit program in Italian studies. The third is a five-week, 8-credit program in Nutrition and Culture. Students live in apartments in the historic center of the city. Field trips to such locations as Venice, Rome, Bologna, Perugia, Urbino, Florence, and Assisi are included. For further information regarding the painting workshop, contact Scott Schnepf, Department of Art and Art History, Paul Creative Arts Center, (603) 862-2190. For further information regarding the Italian Studies program or the Nutrition and Culture program, contact Piero Garofalo, Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, Murkland Hall, (603) 862-3769,

Puebla Program
A six-week summer immersion program in Puebla, Mexico open to all students who are interested in taking summer courses at the Universidad de Las Américas. Students must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 and a good standing in conduct. Credit for courses completed successfully will be transferred to UNH. For more information, contact Lina Lee, Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures, Murkland Hall, (603) 862-3123, or go to

The Netherlands
Utrecht University
The Center for International Education administers an exchange program with Utrecht University, open to undergraduate and graduate students in all fields. Utrecht University is one of the top research universities in Europe, with the largest undergraduate population and the largest research budget in the Netherlands. The size, status, and international population of the university ensure that courses in all areas of study are offered in English; these include the Humanities, Social and Behavioral Studies, Law, Economics, Governance and Geosciences. This is an especially good exchange for students wanting to combine a study abroad option with work in their majors.

University College Utrecht

An Honors exchange is available at the University College Utrecht (UCU), which is an international Liberal Arts and Sciences Honors College of Utrecht University.  UCU's mission is to offer ambitious students an academic environment aimed at transforming their broad academic and social interests and their international orientation into academic excellence, intellectual independence and world citizenship.  Students have access to all academic, social and recreational facilities that Utrecht University has to offer.

UCU specializes in undergraduate education.  Students choose from courses in Humanities, Science and Social Sciences, and they are educated in the spirit of liberal arts.  Among the special characteristics are the College's small classes and individual attention.

Located in an especially lovely section of central Holland, Utrecht is the fourth largest city in the Netherlands. It has a classically old-Dutch city center with 17thsentury buildings, a medieval church, several high-quality museums and terraced canals that encircle the old city. A university town since the medieval period, Utrecht has long enjoyed a vibrant student culture. Utrecht is easily navigable by foot, bicycle, nd bus, and, as the center of the Dutch rail system, enjoys easy access to other cities in the Netherlands and Europe (Amsterdam is 35 minutes away; Paris three hours; London a day trip by plane). Interested students should contact the Center for International Education, Hood House, (603) 862-2398, or

New Zealand
UNH-EcoQuest, New Zealand
In partnership with the UNH Department of Natural Resources and the Environment, the EcoQuest Education Foundation offers an intensive program of applied field studies in ecology, resource management, and environmental policy. New Zealand offers an ideal context for multidisciplinary, field-oriented studies, with its rich cultural traditions, diverse ecosystems, expansive natural areas, and history of innovative approaches to resource management. EcoQuest students engage hands-on in New Zealand’s restoration ecology and sustainable resource management initiatives. Semester participants have the opportunity to carry out directed research projects while working closely with a faculty mentor and in association with New Zealand research partners. The rural seaside campus is located about an hour’s drive southeast of Auckland. Students travel throughout New Zealand’s North and South Islands to learn more about the unique ecosystems and local culture.

Students may choose either a four-course, 15-week fall or spring term for 16 credit hours, or a two-course, five-week summer session for eight credit hours. The UNH-EcoQuest Academic program coordinator is Kimberly Babbitt. Contact Donna Dowal, the UNH-EcoQuest director of admissions, (603) 862-2036.

Puerto Rico
Students may spend one or two semesters at one of nine campuses in Puerto Rico through the National Student Exchange (NSE) program. While having the opportunity to learn in a Latin American environment, participants maintain their status as UNH students, pay UNH tuition, and will be able to graduate from UNH on schedule. The exchange is open to students from all UNH majors. Students must meet all UNH Study Away Eligibility requirements. Participants must provide proof of proficiency in Spanish. Students must contact Paula DiNardo, National Student Exchange Office, 106 Hood House, (603) 862-3485 or visit

Heriot-Watt University Exchange Program
College of Engineering and Physical Sciences students are eligible to participate in a spring semester exchange with Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland. The current program is designed for civil and environmental engineering majors. For more information, contact Ray Cook at (603) 862-1411, or e-mail

Granada Program
The Granada Program is administered by the Spanish program of the University of New Hampshire. Students may spend spring semester in a program designed for those who have completed SPAN 631 or its equivalent, have a B average in Spanish and a cumulative grade-point average of 2.5, and have at least sophomore status. Courses taught by professors from the University of Granada fulfill requirements for the Spanish major and minor and general education requirements in humanities areas. For further information, contact the Spanish program, Murkland Hall, or visit

^ back to top

Other Programs

Aerospace Studies (AERO)

» Click to view course offerings

Please refer to Reserve Officer Training Corps Programs for more information

» Click to view course offerings

^ back to top

Military Science (MILT)

» Click to view course offerings

Please refer to Reserve Officer Training Corps Programs for more information

» Click to view course offerings

^ back to top

Reserve Officer Training Corps Programs (ROTC)

Students attending the University of New Hampshire may enroll in the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) or in the Army Reserve Office Officer Training Corps (AROTC) at the University.

The Army ROTC and Air Force ROTC offer programs leading to a commission as a second lieutenant in their respective services. Students in either ROTC program may pursue any University curriculum that leads to a baccalaureate or higher degree.

Two- and four-year programs are available. The four-year program is open to freshmen, sophomores, and transfer students. The two-year program is open to students who have at least two academic years remaining in their college/university degree program. In addition to on-campus course requirements, students must attend an officer-preparatory training session for a part of one summer.

ROTC scholarships are offered on a competitive basis by both the Army ROTC and Air Force ROTC. Entering freshmen may compete for four-year scholarships during their last year of high school. Additionally, incoming students may compete for scholarships while already in college if they meet specific ROTC requirements. Scholarships may pay up to full tuition, mandatory fees, and required textbooks for college courses. Incoming students with either a four-year or three-year ROTC scholarship may receive a full or partial room and board grant for the entire time they are on an ROTC scholarship. In addition, all scholarship recipients receive a tax-free monthly subsistence allowance. Non-scholarship students in the last two years of the ROTC program also receive the tax-free monthly subsistence allowance.

Both ROTC programs have administrative and medical requirements, which must be met to qualify for a scholarship and a commission.

More specific information about ROTC programs may be obtained by contacting Army ROTC at (603) 862-1078 or Air Force ROTC at (603) 862-1480.

^ back to top