Interim role becomes permanent

Thursday, May 23, 2019
Cari Moorhead

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce that I have asked Cari Moorhead to serve as dean of the Graduate School, effective immediately, and that she has accepted my offer. As you know, she has been serving in the interim role while we undertook a rigorous national search to fill the position. It quickly became clear that Cari was the best candidate, and we are lucky to have someone so committed to our students’ success and the quality of our academic programs.

Cari’s experience both at UNH and nationally through her leadership work with the Council of Graduate Schools is varied and extensive. She has demonstrated a commitment to take the Graduate School to the next level by building on our recent R1 designation to grow academic excellence in our Ph.D. programs, as well as expand enrollment in our professional master’s programs. I am confident her vision and plans to establish a strategic plan for the future of the Graduate School are key to positioning the university among the top 25 public universities in the country.  

An alumna of the Graduate School herself, Cari has held leadership positions in the school for 13 years. During this time, she has grown revenue and enrollment, enhanced infrastructure, streamlined processes and created new programming focused on student success. Cari continues to play an integral role in shaping graduate education in the Northeast and Canada including via her work with the Northern Association of Graduate Schools and she will serve as its president in 2020. In addition, she brings a strong commitment to inclusion and diversity.

I would like to thank Deborah Merrill-Sands and Kelley Thomas, co-chairs of the search committee, and the entire committee for bringing the search to a successful completion.

Please join me in congratulating Dean Moorhead.

Wayne Jones
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs