Sarah Jakositz New Faces of Civil Engineering scholarship recipient

Monday, February 19, 2018
UNH student Sarah Jakositz

Sarah Jakositz ’18 received a $1,000 scholarship from the American Society of Civil Engineers.

Sarah Jakositz ’18, an environmental engineering student at UNH, was recently named the winner of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) New Faces of Civil Engineering scholarship.

The ASCE program, which awards a $1,000 scholarship to the winner, highlights the next generation of civil engineering leaders and showcases young, diverse, talented engineers. Jakositz was selected from 10 finalists and is the second UNH student in as many years to be recognized by the ASCE. Kate Haslett ’18 was a finalist in 2017.

“Receiving this recognition is an honor,” says Jakositz, who credits the faculty within the UNH College of Engineering and Physical Sciences department of civil and environmental engineering for her success. “I cannot put into words how grateful I am for the lessons my professors have taught me, both in and outside of the classroom.”

James Malley, professor of environmental engineering, says the honor is a prestigious one, Jakositz was selected from a pool of about 300 college students, and speaks to her rare talents as well as the quality of students in the department and the college. “Sarah has participated in several interesting, important and timely research projects, including a large National Science Foundation project,” says Malley, who nominated Jakositz for the award. “She has been a leader on each project and has distinguished herself in undergraduate research since her sophomore year.”

Jakositz has an array of research and internships under her belt since enrolling at UNH, including climate change adaptation planning for the town of Exeter and the Sustainable Engineering Internship through the Shoals Marine Laboratory. Jakositz is the current president of the UNH Chapter of Tau Beta Pi and serves as a member of the dean’s student advisory council and the STEMbassadors outreach program.

Jakositz, who graduates in May, will pursue her master’s degree in environmental engineering at UNH.

“My UNH experience thus far has made it an easy decision to continue my graduate education here,” says Jakositz. “I will graduate with the confidence that I have the tools and knowledge I need to succeed in the real world thanks to the professors and university that has given me their all.”

Interested in a path like Sarah’s? UNH is a top 50 public university with an excellent engineering program. Check it out.

• Written By:

Brooks Payette | College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Photographer: 
Jeremy Gasowski | UNH Marketing | jeremy.gasowski@unh.edu | 603-862-4465