From UNH's museum, Caitlin Truesdale ’17 heads to Venice this fall

Friday, May 19, 2017
UNH's Caitlin Truesdale '17

Caitlin Truesdale '17 will intern at the Guggenheim's Venice, Italy, location this fall.

For many lovers of art and culture, the Guggenheim is the place to go.

For Caitlin Truesdale ’17, the museum’s Venice, Italy, location will be her office this fall as she begins her internship there in October.

Coming to UNH from her hometown of Peabody, Massachusetts, Truesdale already knew she loved art.

“I first decided to major in art history after taking an AP course on it in my senior year of high school,” she says. “My choice to major in Italian studies came later as a bit of a surprise to me. I'd studied French and Latin prior to UNH and decided Italian is particularly helpful for the study of art history — and I love the food!”

“UNH is one of those places that allows you to grow and explore new passions and try many new things.”  

Truesdale fell in love with Italian language and culture during her first semester.

“The professors in the department were so wonderful, I ended up taking so many classes it made no sense not to declare a major,” she explains. “I have developed a huge love for languages and have also picked up Japanese, with the hope that I can specialize my art history in East Asian studies for graduate school.”

Truesdale adds she has been fortunate to work in the department of classics, humanities and Italian studies as well as the UNH Museum of Art for the past three years.

“As a fellowship student at the museum, I have had the opportunity to give tours and lead many educational activities. Being able to share my passions with others is such a rewarding experience and a big part of why I am thrilled to work at the Guggenheim,” she explains.

When she arrives in Venice, her internship will include a variety of tasks and helping in multiple departments. She will also be presenting a seminar to fellow Guggenheim staff members on a topic of her choice. Working for museums allows her to view collections in new ways, she says, “further deepening my knowledge of the materials.”

Thinking back on her years at UNH, Truesdale says, “There are so many ways UNH has helped me succeed. There are opportunities galore and so many resources to help along the way, but I also don't feel like I was ever handed anything. I can know that everything I have done here, and plan to do going forward, are things I earned for myself. The environment I have experienced here has been one of encouragement that has made me want to keep reaching for the stars, because now I know I can do it.” 

Her advice to current and future Wildcats?

“Get to know your professors!” she replies — faculty like Amy Boylan, associate professor of Italian studies and director of the UNH-in-Italy program, who Truesdale says has been there for her from the very start. “They really do care and want you to succeed. I cannot possibly express how thankful I am for the support I have received from my professors.”

Is an art degree in your future? Learn more about UNH degree programs in art and art history.

Jeremy Gasowski | UNH Marketing | jeremy.gasowski@unh.edu | 603-862-4465