What to Consider: FAQs

When is the application deadline?

The application deadline is February 15 each year extended to March 15.

Can I apply online?

You must apply online. Application forms can be found via the online system at: http://www.gradschool.unh.edu/apply.php. If for some reason you do not have access to apply online, contact Sanjeev Sharma at Sanjeev.Sharma@unh.edu or 603-862-2821.

Submitting online has many advantages. Applicant data arrives securely, directly, and immediately into the graduate school admissions system, without data entry errors. The arrival of your electronic data notifies us that your hard copy materials will follow, and if the hard copy package does not arrive in the mail, we can notify you. Hard copy materials can include transcripts and letters of recommendation.

I am coming from outside the United States. Do I need a visa? What else do I need to know about coming to New Hampshire for the summer?

All information about the application process for international students, including visas, is available at http://www.gradschool.unh.edu/international.php.

What do you look for in an applicant?

The program looks for applicants who have the proven academic ability to complete a rigorous course of study and at least two years of relevant, professional-level work experience. We evaluate all candidates based on the following criteria: the personal statement, résumé/curriculum vitae, transcripts of prior college and/or graduate schoolwork, and letters of recommendation.

The personal statement is the single most important part of the application. In it you should clearly demonstrate your interest in the program and how it fits into your specific career goals.

Do you accept applicants directly from undergraduate schools?

Individuals with very strong academic records who have also had significant internship and/or study abroad experience may be accepted. Recent undergraduates with very strong academic credentials might be encouraged to reapply after they have pursued one or more years of relevant work.

What is your Graduate Record Exam (GRE) policy?

We do not require the GRE.

Do I have to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)?

An international student whose bachelor’s degree was not earned from an institution in which English was the language of instruction must submit proof of competency in English. Applicants currently attending an English-speaking graduate school are not exempt. Competency in English can be demonstrated by the following methods:

A. Taking the TOEFL and receiving a minimum score of 600 on the paper test or 250 on the computer-based test or 100 on the iBT. For more information, visit the ETS web page.

B. Taking and submitting results from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a score no less than 7. For more, information, visit: www.ielts.org.

Tuition and Payment

How much does the program cost?

Tuition is calculated by course credit and sums to $30,063 ($27,330 for New Hampshire residents) for a typical student on both the 14-month and 24-month pathways. Click here for more information on tuition and fees.

Aside from the tuition cost, other fees include the following (as of 2013):

  • Summer term (Total = $261.50)
    • Registration fee = $20.00
    • Memorial Union Building fee = $15.00
    • Technology fee = $88.50
    • Student service fee = $138.00
  • Non-Summer term (per term)
    • For students living within 50-mile radius of UNH Durham campus = $849.50
      • Memorial Union Building fee = $173.50
      • Student recreation fee = $240.50
      • Transportation fee = $54.50
      • Technology fee = $88.50
    • For students living outside of 50-mile radius of UNH Durham campus = $0.00

How do I pay for the tuition deposit?

The $500 tuition deposit may be paid with a credit card, via wire transfer, or with either a personal or bank check drawn on U.S. dollars and made payable to the University of New Hampshire.

Can someone else write my tuition deposit check for me?

Yes, we can certainly accept a check from someone other than you. Please ask the person to make the check for $500 payable to the University of New Hampshire and to submit it to the Office of Financial Aid, and make sure that s/he either includes a letter stating that the check is for your tuition deposit, or that s/he clearly marks your name in the memo section of the check.

I have a sponsor who will be covering the tuition of my program. How should they make the payments?

Your sponsor must send in a letter, addressed to the Graduate School Admissions Office/UNH, indicating that s/he is committing to sponsor you financially for your degree program. The exact amount of the sponsorship must be included in the letter and backed up by the supporting documentation. The letter must indicate the total committed amount that will be available to you prior to the bill due date (in early May) of the summer semester. The letter must clearly state your sponsor’s full name and contact information (address, phone number, and e-mail). It must be signed and dated by the sponsor and include the sponsor’s bank account information to match the supporting bank statement. The bank statement should be a statement of the person’s account activity and balances. It may be sent to us by e-mail if it is sent directly from an official bank e-mail account. If this is not possible, a printout for the customer (your sponsor) is fine, as long as it is on the bank’s official letterhead.

Financial Aid

Does the Master of Arts in Community Development Policy and Practice offer any scholarships to students?  What alternative funding opportunities are available?  

We offer partial tuition scholarships to admitted students to help defray the overall costs of the program, and we have compiled a resource list of outside scholarship opportunities. Please see our Financial Aid page to learn more about scholarships, sponsorships, loans, and deferrals.


What happens to my financial aid if I defer for one year?

Although we would prefer for you to join us in the year that you apply, if you are not able to secure funding, we offer all of our admitted master's students a one-year deferral of their admission with a renewal of the same level of scholarship aid. So, if it happens that you are unable to secure alternative funding, you would have an additional year to conduct a comprehensive search for funding opportunities.

What alternative funding opportunities are available?

We strongly encourage you to look into other outside scholarship opportunities from organizations such as the World Bank, Fulbright, the Ford Foundation, or the American Association of University Women (among others). We maintain a list of outside scholarship sources (see below) to assist you in your search for supplemental funding. Please note that the list is not comprehensive, and that there are most likely additional opportunities that exist of which we are not aware. Use it only as the beginning of a broader and more comprehensive search.


For what types of loans am I eligible?

Domestic students are eligible for both private and federal loans. This page has basic loan information. More detailed information can be found at Borrow Smart. The link provides information on educational loan options geared toward UNH students.

What loans are available to international students?

International students are eligible for private loans. Private educational loans depend on applications sent directly to the lending organizations. Each private lending organization has its own policies governing when the approval can be made, so the best way to check this out would be on the organizations' individual websites. If you are considering loans to finance your studies, you will need to show that you have secured the amount indicated on your VIDOF form minus any scholarships you may have received from UNH. As the loan process can be lengthy, you should begin the process as soon as possible. There are U.S.-based private loan options, but international students need to have a U.S. or naturalized citizen to co-sign the loan. You can research these loan options at Borrow Smart. This link will direct you to educational loan options. Please note that you would not be eligible for the federal loan options, only the private lenders. You may also want to conduct a search for educational loans for international students on the web. Two options are www.internationalstudentloan.com and www.globalilc.com. For further information about financial aid, please go to the UNH Financial Aid website at http://financialaid.unh.edu/.

What types of federal loans exist for U.S. students?

UNH offers two types of federal loans for U.S. citizens:

The Stafford Loan is a guaranteed student loan with a limit of $20,500 per academic or calendar year. In order to request this loan, you will need to complete the application form on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) website, www.fafsa.ed.gov. It will help to have your previous year’s income tax return available when completing the application, as many of the questions asked are the same as on your return.

The Graduate PLUS loan is an option if you exhaust your Stafford eligibility and feel you would like additional loans. To qualify, you must have already drawn on the maximum Stafford amount for the year. Approval is based on a credit check. The maximum amount you can borrow from the Graduate PLUS loan is equal to the cost of attendance minus any scholarships or additional loans you have received. The Graduate PLUS loan cannot be approved until 60 days before the official start of the program since it depends on an application process that includes a credit check. Click here for GradPLUS information.

How and when are these loans processed?

You may apply for the Stafford loan at any time, since it is guaranteed and your eligibility will not change. As far as the FAFSA goes, it is easiest to complete the online application at the same time you do your annual taxes, as many of the questions asked are the same. Once you are finished, which is confirmed by email, the file is sent to us electronically. Since the Stafford Loan is guaranteed, we can let you know your eligibility as soon as we have the form and the FAFSA information.

Private educational loans depend on applications sent directly to the lending organizations. Each private lending organization has its own policies governing when the approval can be made, so the best way to check this out would be on the organizations' individual websites.


The following is a list of possible sources of external funding resources for graduate students and researchers. UNH does not award any of these scholarships or grants. This list is presented for informational purposes—it is the responsibility of each applicant to investigate and apply to each funding agency.

As we become aware of other opportunities, we will add them to this page.