Wednesday, November 14, 2018
U.S. Marine Corps veteran Cayla PerkinsGoodrie acceping an award.

Communication arts major Cayla PerkinsGoodrie '20 during her service with the U.S. Marine Corps.

Student veterans are a diverse group of ambitious, mission-driven individuals—drawn to higher education for different reasons, but with the shared mission of achieving their academic and professional goals. In honor of Veterans Day, we spoke with U.S. Marine Corps veteran and communication arts major Cayla PerkinsGoodrie '20 about her college experience.

Which branch of the military did you serve?

I served in the United States Marine Corps. My Military Occupational Specialty was Comptroller (Financial Management Analyst).

How do you apply your military experience to your education?

It’s a little cheesy, but one of my favorite leadership principles from the Marines is, "Know yourself and seek self-improvement.” Definitely apply that to your schooling. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from your professors, your advisors and even your classmates—even if you need information broken down Barney-style. At the end of the day, you’re in charge of your successes and failures.

What are your hopes for after graduation?

I started at UNH Manchester with the hopes to get into the radio industry, but just like every college student, my goals and aspirations change. Even though I’m older, I definitely plan on taking advantage of Internships and really figuring out what it is that I want to do.

What would you like people to know about the life of a student veteran?

The Marines taught me discipline and schooling has taught me patience. Being a Veteran, you’d assume that you’re older than most of your classmates, but the great thing about UNH Manchester is that you’re surrounded by such a diverse group of people.

Thank you, today and every day, to Cayla and those who have served, continue to serve or sacrificed their lives for our country.