Friday, September 23, 2016

I joined UNH Cooperative Extension as an Extension Educator after many years working for private industry and small business. In every one of my previous jobs, I took ownership of company objectives by working hard, challenging things I disagreed with and always respecting the final direction of the one who signed my paycheck. Doing my best to contribute to success of the company was always top priority.

One critical aspect of those interactions was the freedom to cultivate credible relationships with senior management. Developing the skill to speak my mind and be heard was enriching and always resulted in personal growth. That open dialogue contributed to the well-being of all involved.

Colleagues Weigh In

Murkland Courtyard at UNH

Hear what others have to say about unionization.

More voices

Representing company decisions in public or with clients, I always referred to “we” and “us” as decision-makers. When everyone is pulling on the same rope, the company does well and all involved benefit. In contrast, I observed others, not in my work group who would refer to senior managers as “them.” They felt like victims and blamed management for their shortcomings. The relationship was adversarial to say the least. The result was often that energy, productivity and lack of ownership in company decisions brought the whole operation down. In every case, those work units were part of a union. If an employee had disagreement with management, they would “file a grievance.” I would prefer they approach management with ideas to make the company better!

Last week, I had the opportunity to visit a factory in New England. I was struck by how engaging the line employees were. They were happy, fulfilled and appreciative of their employer. I asked what union they were organized under. They told me that they were not unionized. I really was hoping that they were so I could take note of a useful union.

Comparing my life with UNH to past jobs, I am delighted with the level of pay and benefits available to me. Dialogue with upper management is wide open. I am part of developing strategy and determining how to implement it. It is not an overstatement to say that I love my job with UNH Cooperative Extension.

I personally do not want to have a middle-man deliver my thoughts, wishes, criticisms, etc. to managers. I am very capable and empowered by maintaining that right. I do not feel mistreated or under-recognized. I do not want a third-party to bargain for more. In fact, I feel that I have ample compensation for my work.

As one of my colleagues said, “We are a family; when we disagree, we work it out. When we experience success, we celebrate together.” We laugh together, we argue together, but in the end, we have each-others’ backs. If a union joins this relationship, their strategy will be to demonstrate the need for their existence. Much of the language used to date by the prospective union has been overstated and intended to arouse emotions. I urge you to not be seduced by this drama. We have an excellent thing now. I personally would hate to see that destroyed.

Cheers!

—Brendan Prusik
Extension Educator, UNH Cooperative Extension

P.S. I feel passionately about this and was in NO WAY influenced to write this.

Would you like to submit a statement or testimonial about the efforts to organize UNH staff? Submit here.