Monday, January 11, 2016
Students working on video project

Experiential learning is a constant theme for the students of UNH Manchester. Michael Lang, graduate of Nashua High School South (NHSS) and recent graduate of the communication arts program, took advantage of that and worked with the UNH education program to develop a video focusing on the Humans Relations class at NHSS.

Lang originally arrived at UNH on the Durham campus, but he soon moved to the Manchester campus because of the communication arts degree. Lang wasn't particularly excited for college, but he said, "I saw UNH Manchester as a natural fit for me."

Lang saw the faculty as one of the main reasons he found his place here. He said the great relationships he formed with them might not have been possible at a different university.

Last year Lang was approached by a professor about a video project — not work for a class, but for real-world experience where he could put the knowledge he has gained through the program into action.

“I was able to run my own show,” Lang said. “It gave me confidence to have success and focus on my own goals in a way.”

The video was a collaboration of several different forces. Judy Sharkey, associate professor in the teacher education program, came up with the idea after visiting Lisa Yates' Human Relations class at NHSS.

“It was obvious that this class and Ms. Yates had tremendous, positive effects on [the students],” Sharkey said. “I asked Ms. Yates if she thought the students would like to do a project where somehow their voices and perspectives could inform our teacher education students.”

Students in Yates' class truly enjoy it, so the video focuses on their learning experience and how they stay engaged. Lang said this gives up-and-coming teachers a better idea about how students learn, which will empower them to be better teachers.

Experiential learning let Lang apply what he has been learning to real-world projects, which Lang said is “an important aspect of your education.”

The video has already been shown in various education classes at UNH Manchester. Hopefully, with the work that Lang and the other contributors put into it, this video can help inform students within the education program how valuable student perspectives are. 

Watch the full video below or on YouTube.