Tuesday, February 11, 2014
meredith cline

Business Administration
Andover, N.H. “One of the smallest towns in the history of the world.” -MC

What made you want to choose this course of study?

My parents have owned their own business all of my life and I have always liked the idea of doing the same. Being a business administration major gave me the ability to learn all about the business basics like economics, accounting, and financial management and then decided what I wanted my focus to be. It was a no-brainer for me to choose an option in Marketing - after all, I am the ultimate shopper. I mean, I can shop until I drop. I recognize that I am subject to all of the marketing that happens, and it fascinates me to see which types of marketing appeal to me and which ones don’t. I guess you could say I’m a shopping nerd... If that is even a thing.

What stands out as your favorite course, project, or "learning" moment?

My favorite academic moment was easily last year in my Introduction to Marketing course. We had a semester long group project that required us to make up a brand new product or service and develop a marketing plan for it. I had the best time actually applying the marketing knowledge I had learned to something my group had created from scratch. I loved the creative freedom we had and it felt great to present a project at the end of the semester that meant so much to us. It was definitely a labor of love.

What is one thing that has surprised you about the field you've chosen—something you couldn't have known in high school?

I had no idea how much I would love my major. In high school I had heard all about the statistics about students changing their major multiple times over the course of their college career. I wasn’t sure if I would want to stick with business all four years. I was pleasantly surprised when everything fell into place and I realized how much I loved my major. I had no idea how diverse the business world is and that there really is a place for everyone.

If you had to give advice to the next group of UNH students, what would you tell them about getting the most out of your studies at UNH?

The best advice I can give to incoming students is to pick one class, just one, and sit in the front row. I promise you will learn more, get to know your professor better, and you might even like it so much that you move into the front row in your other classes too. Just trust me on this one!

Related Story >>

Originally published by:

UNH Today

• Written By:

Staff writer | Communications and Public Affairs