Skip to Content Find it Fast

This browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets.

Undergraduate Course Catalog 2010-2011

Special University Programs

Exchange Programs Within the U.S.

The University offers many opportunities for exchange study with other institutions within the U.S. National Exchange programs provide an educational experience in a different environment within North America. It is hoped that students will develop new ways of viewing the country and expand their knowledge of our complex society.

Through the National Student Exchange (NSE), UNH students can study at more than 190 colleges and universities throughout the U.S., U.S. territories (Guam, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands), and Canada. Several historically black colleges and universities are exchange members, and several are members of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities. In addition, a one-semester or full-year exchange program is available with the University of California, Santa Cruz.

To qualify for exchange study, students must be full-time undergraduate degree candidates in good standing, with at least a 2.5 grade-point average, have earned at least 32 credits (16 of which must be from UNH), have declared a major, receive permission from their college dean and academic adviser, and receive permission from the UNH NSE Coordinator.

Students in exchange programs are expected to return to UNH to complete their studies. Participation in an exchange program does not disrupt the continuity of a student’s educational process. Exchange program participants continue to maintain their status as UNH students, even while temporarily located at another university. Students do not have to withdraw from UNH and later be readmitted. Maintaining UNH student status also facilitates reentry into classes, on-campus housing, and many other dimensions of University life.

Interested students should contact the National Student Exchange office in Hood House, (603) 862-3485, or visit

^ back to top