Skip to Content Find it Fast

This browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets.

Undergraduate Course Catalog 2008-2009

General Information

« Admission

UNH welcomes campus visitors. Campus tours are led by student admissions representatives who provide a general overview of academic programs and campus life opportunities. Professional staff members are available to provide information about the criteria used by the Admissions Committee in reviewing candidates and to address specific concerns. For further information or to schedule a campus and/or group information session, visit the Admissions Web site at Registration is required.


Admission Criteria

Admission to a bachelor’s degree program is based upon successful completion of a strong secondary school program of college preparatory coursework. Primary consideration is given to the academic record, as demonstrated by the quality of the candidate's secondary school course selections and achievement, recommendation, and the results of the SAT and/or ACT exam. Consideration is also given to character, initiative, leadership, and special talents.

Most successful candidates present at least four years of English and mathematics, three or more years of laboratory science, three or more years of social science, and two or more years of study in a single foreign language. Three years of a single foreign language are preferred. Recommended mathematics preparation includes the equivalent of algebra I, geometry, algebra II, and trigonometry or advanced math.

Students who plan to specialize in engineering, biological/physical science, mathematics, or forestry should present at least four years of mathematics including trigonometry, as well as laboratory coursework in chemistry and/or physics. Students pursuing business-related studies also should have  completed four years of mathematics including trigonometry. For students planning to major in health-related disciplines, four years of math, as well as laboratory courses in biology and chemistry, are strongly recommended.

Applicants may indicate a prospective major on the application for admission. An undecided applicant may apply for admission into a bachelor’s program as an “undeclared” student to any one of the University’s five school and college divisions in Durham or at UNH Manchester.

(For information concerning bachelor and associate degree programs offered through UNH Manchester, click here; for information concerning the Thompson School of Applied Science, click here.)

Many University students request a change in major during their undergraduate years, and most are approved. These changes are possible after a student has been at the University for at least a semester and has permission from the appropriate college dean and department chairperson. In recent years, however, the University has not always been able to honor all requests for a change of major, most notably into nursing or occupational therapy.

Admission Test Requirements

All candidates for admission to bachelor’s degree programs are required to submit the results of the SAT or ACT exam, both with results from the essay portion. SAT subject tests are not required, but a foreign language subject test may satisfy the foreign language requirement of the bachelor of arts degree. Required scores vary by test.

International students whose primary language is not English must submit the results of a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The recommended minimum TOEFL score is 213 (computer version) or 550 (paper version) or 80 (Internet version).  UNH also accepts the  (IELTS) International English Language Testing System English Language proficiency examination in lieu of TOEFL; the minimum acceptable proficiency grade is 6.5.

Music Candidates

Candidates applying for programs in the Department of Music must make arrangements with the department chairperson for an audition (603) 862-2404. Details regarding audition requirements may be obtained from the department, or may be found on the Department of Music Web site at

Admission Deadlines

The Admissions Office welcomes high school students who seek fall semester first-year admission to apply any time after the start of the senior year and before the February 1 priority deadline. Admission notifications are provided on a continuous basis through April 15.
Accepted candidates are required to confirm their intention to enroll with the payment of an enrollment fee by May 1. An additional deposit is required by May 1 to reserve on-campus housing.

The review of first-year candidates begins as soon as a complete application (including official grade reports through the first marking period of senior year and a confirmed senior-year course schedule, the results of the SAT or ACT, and a letter of recommendation) is on hand. To apply ensuring early action (a non-binding “early reading” by mid-January of the senior year), candidates must submit admission applications by November 15. In some cases, the Admission Committee will request senior mid-year grade reports in order to make a final admission decision.

All offers of admission are considered conditional and are subject to the verification of satisfactory senior year achievement when final high school transcripts are reviewed by the Admission Committee.

Deferred Admission

The University considers applicants for deferred admission, which enables students to reserve a space at the University while taking time off from school for work or travel. The University may not be able to offer deferred admission in certain program areas.

Advanced Standing

The University recognizes outstanding secondary school work by means of advanced placement and credit for those who have taken enriched or accelerated courses before entering college. Applicants qualify for such credit by successfully completing coursework for college credit and satisfactory achievement on University approved placement examinations, including the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Tests, International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level Examination Test Results, or through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Students should have official results sent directly to the Office of Admissions.

The University accepts AP Tests in every subject area, with credit and course equivalency based on the score achieved. Visit for further information.

The University awards 8 semester credits for each IB Higher Level Examination Test Result of 5, 6, or 7. The University recognizes up to 32 semester credits of CLEP General Examination tests which may be applied as elective credit only. Scores must be 500 or better in the humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences-history exams. The minimum score for mathematics is 500 and for the English exam with essay, 500. Subject exams, when applicable, may be used to satisfy either departmental or general education requirements. UNH does not accept all CLEP subject exams.

Maximum credit accepted for all credit by exam and advanced placement testing is 64 semester hours.

Associate Degree Candidacy

The University accepts candidates who have demonstrated ability and motivation for learning through academic achievement, work experience, and/or military service for associate in applied science degree programs.

Students may be considered for admission to associate in applied science degree programs offered by the University’s Thompson School of Applied Science in Durham as well as associate in arts or science degrees at the Manchester campus. Candidates applying as high school seniors must submit the results of the SAT or ACT, both with essay results. Students granted freshman admission to the Thompson School are eligible to live in a University residence hall.

Eligibility for Degree Candidacy

Applicants who meet the appropriate requirements for admission may become candidates for any undergraduate degree offered by the University. However, applicants having a bachelor of arts degree will not be admitted into a program of study that awards the same degree (e.g., B.A., History, and B.A., Zoology). Applicants can earn more than one bachelor of science (B.S.) degree, provided that each degree is in a different field. Applicants may also be admitted into a program awarding a different degree (e.g., B.A., History, and B.S., Biology; or B.A., History, and A.A.S., Applied Business Management).


An undergraduate who withdraws, does not register for UNH coursework in a given semester, or is suspended or dismissed from the University thereby terminates degree candidacy and must apply for readmission by the following deadlines: fall semester, June 1; spring semester, November 1. Readmission applications are processed in the Office of Admissions; however, decisions regarding readmission are made in consultation with the Division of Student and Academic Services and the dean’s office of the University college division to which the student is applying.

Before seeking readmission, students on academic suspension must remain away from school for at least one semester. Suspended students should include a statement about their  readiness to resume University work with their application.

Only under extraordinary circumstances will students be readmitted after dismissal for academic reasons. Applications submitted by dismissed students are reviewed by the University’s Academic Standards and Advising Committee.

It may not be possible for readmission applicants to enroll in programs with established enrollment limitations.

Transfer Students

UNH encourages applications from transfer students. Admission consideration includes review of course selection, academic achievement, and the extent to which that selection addresses the University’s general education requirements. Transfer credit is awarded for completed courses with a grade of C or better, provided those courses are comparable to courses offered at UNH. Each course must carry at least 3 semester credits and receive a letter grade to qualify for general education consideration.

Students enrolled in one of the University’s associate degree programs who desire admission to a bachelor’s degree program at UNH apply as transfer students through the Office of Admissions.

Some programs may have enrollment limitations. Transfer students may contact the Department of Housing (603) 862-2120 to determine the availability of on-campus housing or the Office of Commuter Services at for assistance with off-campus housing.

New England Regional Student Program

The University participates in the New England Regional Student Program, in which each state college and university in New England offers certain undergraduate majors to students from other New England states. Under this program, admitted students pay the UNH in-state tuition plus an additional percentage. Students must indicate on the application the specific major for which they are applying. Information about the curricula may be obtained from the New England Board of Higher Education, 45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111,, or call (617) 357-9620. Visit for available UNH majors through this program.

Special Student Status

UNH offers a special student classification for persons who wish to participate in University coursework on a full-time basis without entering a degree program. Special (non-degree) students register for coursework through the Registrar’s Office. In evaluating requests for special full-time status, the Office of Admissions generally applies the same criteria used in the review of applicants for admission to degree candidacy. Special students have full access to academic support services but are not eligible for University-based financial aid. Students must maintain satisfactory achievement to continue with University coursework.

Resident Status

All students attending any division of UNH in any capacity shall be charged tuition at a rate to be determined by their primary, legal domicile. Those domiciled within the state of New Hampshire pay the in-state rate. Those domiciled elsewhere pay the out-of-state rate.
Students are classified as residents or nonresidents for tuition purposes at the time of admission to the University. The decisions, made by the Office of Admissions, are based upon information furnished in students’ applications and any other relevant information.
All enrolling students living in New Hampshire are required to submit a notarized statement to the effect that they, if financially independent, or their parents, if financially dependent, have been legally domiciled in New Hampshire continuously for a period of at least twelve months immediately prior to registering for the term for which the student is claiming in-state status. Students admitted from states other than New Hampshire or from foreign countries are considered nonesident throughout their attendance at the University unless they have acquired bona fide domicile in New Hampshire.
If students maintain residency apart from that of their parents, they must clearly establish that they are financially independent and that their residence in New Hampshire is for some purpose other than the temporary one of obtaining an education at the University. To qualify for in-state status, students must have been legally domiciled in New Hampshire continuously for a period of at least twelve months prior to registering for the term for which in-state status is claimed.
The burden of proof in all cases is upon the applicant. The University reserves the right to make the final decision concerning resident status for tuition purposes.
A copy of the rules governing residency may be obtained from the Office of Admissions.