Veteran Resources

Veteran Resources 

Click on any of the resources below to learn more information about support and benefits. 

New Hampshire Veterans' Resource Directory 

Access a PDF of the New Hampshire Veterans' Resource Directory

VA Benefits and GI Bill® links

"GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.”

A summary of benefit options is listed below. For complete details about each program, visit the GI Bill Web site. Before you apply for VA benefits, make sure you have completed the steps outlined in 'Getting Started' tab.

All students at UNH must complete the UNH Benefits Request for Certification Form each semester to use their military benefits.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

This easy to navigate site contains information regarding veterans’ benefits and eligibility requirements. Some highlights include education benefits, home loans, life insurance, health care, and information on Department of Veterans Affairs infrastructure and politics.


What is eBenefits? eBenefits is a joint VA/DOD web portal that provides resources and self-service capabilities to Veterans, Service members, and their families to research, access, and manage their VA and military benefits and personal information. eBenefits uses secure credentials to allow access to personal information and gives users the ability to perform numerous self-service funtions. It also provides a list of links to other sites that provide information about military and Veteran benefits. It is an essential way for Veterans, Service members, and their families to receive access to and service from VA and DoD. See eBenefits Fact Sheet here.

VA Online Application for Educational Benefits

Veterans may use this site to apply for many VA benefits, including the Montgomery GI Bill. Students collecting Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) benefits must either complete the online application here or use the paper application (VA Form 22-1990).

Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides education benefits, generally payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. It is payable only for training at an eligible institution. The Bill covers tuition and fees not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition and fees at a public institution of higher learning. It also covers a monthly housing allowance, and an annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 paid based on enrollment level (full-time/part-time). If you are enrolled exclusively in online training, you will not receive the housing allowance. If you are on active duty, you will not receive the housing allowance or books and supplies stipend.

Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB)

This is a secondary page of the Department of Veterans’ Affairs Web site. It is an excellent resource for both current and prospective students eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill as well as their dependents. The site provides information on education benefit programs, toll-free numbers for VA program information, as well as links to VA forms, electronic application for benefits, payment rates, and Web-based verification.

For additional assistance, call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor.

Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) Verification (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment/WAVE)

If you receive GI bill benefits, you must verify your attendance status monthly. Once our VA office (or another approved educational institution) has certified your enrollment, you may use this site to complete monthly verification online. It is often quicker and easier to do this online than it is to call the verification number (1-877-823-2378 ). The MGIB Verification Web site also offers individual benefit status information, certified periods of enrollment, and recent direct deposit information.

Chapter 31, Disabled Veterans Qualified for Vocational Rehabilitation

In most cases, in order to receive Chapter 31 education benefits, you must receive monthly VA disability payments. However, exceptions are made in some cases. This award will cover tuition, books, supplies, and other education-related expenses. Application is separate and distinct from the education benefit applications. Contact Veterans Support Services for further information

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) or Chapter 1607

REAP (or Chapter 1607) is an education benefit available to certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001. You will find general information on the U.S. VA Web site.

National Guard Benefits

This is the Web site of the National Guard and will provide students information about tuition assistance programs available for guard members.

Transferability of Education Benefits to Family Members - Chapter 35

For the first time in history, you can transfer your Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits to your spouse or children.  If you are actively serving as of 1 August 2009 and are a career service member, you can give all of your benefits to one person or divide them among your family members, in the way that works best for you.

Before your family can apply for your VA benefits, you must first process your transfer application online with DOD. The transferability application requires Internet Explorer.

Educational and Vocational Counseling Services

Free Educational and Vocational Counseling (Chapter 36) services are provided to transitioning Service members who are:

  • Within six months prior to discharge from active duty.
  • Within one year following discharge from active duty.
  • Current beneficiaries of educational assistance under Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606, 1607.
  • Veterans and qualified dependents who are eligible for and have entitlement to education assistance under Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606, 1607.