Getting Started at UNH

Getting Started at UNH for Veterans & Dependents 

Step 1: Apply to the University of New  Hampshire. 


Special Note: The Preadmission Program at UNH is often an appropriate option for veterans.  The important thing to remember is that Admissions will make the final determination on whether the student's academic background is appropriate for study at UNH. While many are accepted into the pre-admit program it is not an automatic acceptance.

  • Apply through the UNH Graduate School site. 
  • The graduate application fee is waived for veterans and active duty applicants.

  • For any questions, please contact the UNH Graduate School at 603-862-3000 or​

Step 2: Obtain & Submit your Documentation to UNH Admissions or Graduate School 

Transfer Credits 
  • To earn transfer credit from coursework completed prior to attending UNH, collect your transcripts from previous colleges and any military institutions that can be considered for UNH credit. Send these documents directly to UNH Admissions or the UNH Graduate School. 
Military Transcripts 
  • Provide copies of your military transcripts and your DD 214 discharge. (4 credits given for honorable discharge/veteran status)

  •  If on active duty, provide your 2586 military identification. 

  • Visit Joint Services Transcript (JST) to obtain your military transcripts. Army, Coast Guard, Marine, Navy, Active Duty, Reserves, & Veterans. 
  • Air Force Only: Visit Community College of Air Force Transcript Request Forms (CCAR) to obtain your transcripts. 

Step 3: Review & Apply for your Military Educational Benefits

Your GI Bill® eligibility is based on when you served your country and other requirements determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration.

  • Visit the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs site to learn more about educational benefits and eligibility. 
  • Complete one of the following forms online through the website to obtain your GU Bill Statement of Benefits. This portal provides details on remaining entitlement and eligibilty percentage.​​

 VA Form 22-1990: Initial Application for Education Benefits for military members or veterans (Chapters 30, 33, 1606, or 1607)

VA Form 22-1990e: For dependents to whom Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility has been transferred (Chapter 33

VA Form 22-5490: For children of disabled veterans applying initially for the Dependent Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

VA Form 22-5495: Change of Place of Training, for those who have used Chapter 33 or 35 benefits at another instituition 

If you have a Notice of Basic Eligibility, or College Fund/Kicker Contract from the National Guard or Reserves, be sure to submit a copy of these forms to the Veterans Affairs office as well.

  • Once you have completed your application on
    • Click "Print Statement of Benefits"
    • Email  the information to the MVS office at

You will also receive via mail a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Notice of Basic Eligibility. You will also need to submit this documentation to the Veterans Coordinators via email for our records. 

"GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S.government website at

Step 4: Apply for Financial Aid (Optional)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, FAFSA, is a government-mandated form that determines your eligibility for low-or no-interest student loans as well as grants at the federal and state level. You'll want to complete this form to ensure you receive all the aid for which you are eligible, even if you plan on using your education benefits.  To be considered for the most potential aid, complete the FAFSA by March 1, this is the University of New Hampshire's priority submission date.

Visit the FAFSA website to fill out and submit the application. You may also visit the UNH Financial Aid website for more information or for assistance in completed the FAFSA. 

Special Note: Students using the Post-9/11 GI Bill® at less than 100% eligibility will be responsible for the percentage not covered by the VA. The student will be responsible for any remaining tuition and fees and payment must be submitted by the UNH deadline to avoid late fees. 

Step 5: Complete the Request for Certification Form (RFC) once Admitted to the University

  • To ensure you receive your benefits in a timely manner, students must complete a Request for Certification form every semester. You will be able to find this form in the Military & Veteran Services tile in your My Courses page once you have your account set up with the University.