In honor of Cinco de Mayo coming up, I put together a list of Mexican restaurants that are either on campus or not too far from campus (and most of them are accessible with Wildcat Transit). If you’re in the mood for some Mexican food, keep reading!
Headed off campus? Whether you’re headed to Newington or downtown Portsmouth, there are many options.
- It seems like in order to be a true Wildcat, you’re at Chipotle as much as possible. I’m pretty sure some of you would walk all the way there if necessary, but you don’t have to! Just hop on the Wildcat Transit and it’ll drop you off right there. The lines can be long, but the chicken burrito with guacamole is worth the wait-even more so now that it’s GMO free.
- Qdoba is located about a mile away and in the same plaza as TJ Maxx and HomeGoods, so you can eat and shop! Qdoba is a yummy quick stop for great, fresh food with amazing queso selections. Did you know they just released a new menu? Try the bacon jalapeno queso and don’t forget to check out their Coca Cola freestyle machine!
Looking for more of a sit-down type restaurant? Agave is just what you’re looking for. Walk right in or call ahead and make a reservation for a table with a street view.
- Next door to Agave, is Dos Amigos, (also available in Dover and Concord) which serves fast, delicious Mexican food with local ingredients. Make sure you check out their specials, including $5 Burrito Mondays and $2 Taco Tuesdays. Did you know ‘Dos’ is owned by a UNH Alum?
- Now that the weather is warming up, head over to Poco’s Bow Street Cantina (also owned by an alum) and have a great lunch on one of their two decks! Not only do they serve delicious Mexican food, but their huge menu has quite a few other options. If there’s a wait, it’s definitely worth it to stick around.
- Another massive menu (no seriously, I think it’s six pages), Cinco de Mayo has something for everyone. Located right on Central Avenue, Cinco de Mayo is the perfect place to go for lunch or dinner, especially if you’re trying to get off campus for a little bit. Thinking about stopping by? Make sure you check out their Facebook page for specials.
If you don’t have a car on campus and don’t feel like taking the bus, you still have options. There are plenty of delicious food spots around campus, but if you want to stick to Mexican you have three main options…
- Located on Jenkins Court in downtown Durham, Mixteca is your first stop for authentic Mexican food and drinks! Take a look at their menus or check out their Instagram to get a sense of their delicious food.
- Located on Main Street, Tacomano should be your next stop! It is set up very similar to a Chipotle or Qdoba, but without the hassle of leaving campus. The best part? They accept Cat’s Cache.
Enjoy Cinco safely, Wildcats!