The SURF Abroad program offers a $3,500 stipend and up to $600 in research expenses for 9 weeks of summer research outside the United States. (For summer research within the U.S., see SURF USA.) Research in other countries, especially where there are cultural and linguistic differences, requires careful planning over a sufficient period of time and special responsibilities on the part of the student and the faculty mentor. The SURF Abroad Application Guidelines (below) describe these responsibilities and the special application procedures for this award.
- Please read "What is the difference between IROP and SURF Abroad?" to determine which international research program is right for you.
- Independent research abroad differs from traditional “study abroad” programs in both its rewards and challenges. Please read “What is the difference between Hamel Center international research programs (IROP, SURF Abroad, Study Abroad Research Grants) and traditional study abroad programs?” to learn the distinctions.
Students must be at least junior status (in their third year of full-time college course work), with a minimum 3.0 cumulative UNH/UNHM GPA, at the time of application.
Application Deadline: January 8, 2020 for summer 2020*
Students who are on a study abroad program in the same country in which they will be conducting their research may submit their applications by March 4, 2020.*
Applications must be submitted to the Hamel Center office (118 Conant Hall) no later than 4:30 p.m. on the deadline dates above.
*Note: Students planning to apply for SURF Abroad must first consult the international research coordinator, Georgeann Murphy (email@example.com) — no later than December 11, 2019 for applicants not already in the country of research, no later than February 5, 2020 for applicants already in the country of research. Applications submitted by students who have not met with Dr. Murphy (or consulted with her via email from abroad) will not be accepted.
Read the Application Guidelines and Budget Instructions before completing the application forms.
- Application Guidelines (complete instructions for the SURF Abroad application)
- Application Checklist (a list of all the steps in the application process)
- Study Away Student Eligibility form (to be completed manually and submitted to the student's College Dean before applying for SURF Abroad)
- Application Cover Sheet (fillable online)*You will need the most recent version of Adobe Reader to complete the application cover sheet.
- Questions about Foreign Research Site (answers to be submitted with application)
- Budget Instructions and Budget Form (fillable online)
- Foreign Mentor Responsibilities
- UNH Faculty Mentor Memo and recommendation form (student must complete and sign top portion of recommendation form; UNH mentor must complete bottom portion of form, attach letter, and deliver either by hand to the Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- UNH Faculty recommendation form (student must complete and sign top portion of recommendation form; faculty member must complete bottom portion of form, attach letter, and deliver either by hand to the Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research, or by email to email@example.com)
Note: You will also need to submit a Letter of Confirmation from your Foreign Mentor with your application. See the Application Guidelines for more information.