Are you a staff or faculty member interested in building your leadership and outreach skills, helping your office or department become more sustainable and contributing UNH's sustainability progress on campus?
Our STARS Leadership program is both professional development and a change making opportunity for faculty and staff. Participants will become leaders in sustainability with support and guidance from the Sustainability Institute and serve as peer mentors to others in their office around sustainability. Participants will also have the opportunity to enact changes around their office and make choices to support equitable, environmentally conscious, and socially responsible decisions around office culture, purchasing, training and operations.
The STARS Leadership program was designed based on our Platinum ranking in sustainability according to the STARS AASHE reporting system. Sustainability is a key part of UNH's mission and values and we all play a role as individuals and as offices like yours to support and practice that mission!
Benefits of Participating
Staff and faculty STARS Leaders will:
- Develop knowledge and skills to bring awareness to sustainability issues at UNH
- Contribute to a better world and to UNH's national leadership in sustainability
- Official recognition as a STARS Leader who has served as the lead on sustainability for your office/department
- Showcased on the Sustainability Institute webpage and social media as one of the offices/departments contributing to advancing sustainability initiatives and education on campus
- Certificate of your sustainability status to put in your office/department common space (Bronze, Gold, Silver, Platinum)
- Gold and Platinum awards receive a sustainable gift
STARS Leaders will be asked to:
- Spend at least 20 hours on sustainability advancement work during this academic year:
- Complete a virtual training module around sustainability at UNH (2 hours)
- Two in-person meetings each year (1 per semester) to check-in around sustainability progress (2 hours)
- Create an internal office presentation and discussion around findings
- Showcase: presentation to program participants sharing findings and next year's goals (1 hour)
- Inventory your office/department's sustainability practices
- Organize one initiative in your office (e.g., a voluntary community service opportunity for you and your colleagues, a guest speaker or book discussion, recycling or commuting week- or month-long awareness challenge, etc.)
- Submit a sustainability checklist report to the Sustainability Institute to track and measure your progress
- Create a plan to implement changes next year to continue advancing sustainability and get it signed by your department's director or other supervisor