Frequently Asked Questions for SAS

Registering with Student Accessibility Services

Please be aware, there are no IEP or 504 Plans in post-secondary education. Rather, accommodations are intended to ensure all students have “equal access” and “equal opportunity” to fully participate in the educational experience.

To receive accommodations while at UNH, a student must initiate the accommodations request process by self-identifying with SAS and providing appropriate documentation.  An IEP or 504 Plan may be adequate documentation and/or provide useful information for this process, (additional documentation may be required for some accommodations).

The specific reasonable accommodations are determined through an interactive process between the student and SAS which includes the student's self-report and supporting documentation.

More information can be found on our Transition Resources page.

Information provided to UNH and SAS regarding your disability is confidential. Any documentation provided is kept on file with SAS for the purpose of providing accommodations. No information about your disability is recorded on your permanent record.

We strongly recommend students connect with SAS and provide documentation such that appropriate accommodations may be identified and established. The student may then choose if and when accommodations letters are sent to faculty to request the established accommodations.  No information about the disability is shared with faculty, only the identified accommodations. 

The 3 step process - complete the intake form, submit documentation, and meet with SAS - allows SAS to evaluate the student's needs and establish the reasonable accommodations in a timely manner.  Waiting to initiate this process may cause delays or create an unnecessary crisis.

 NOTE: There is no deadline to request accommodations, however, accommodations are not retroactive. 

Completing the registration process is an important part of assuming the responsibilities expected of you as an independent adult while at UNH. SAS and other university personnel will work directly with you, the student. Communication with parents (or others) will only be done with your explicit permission in keeping with FERPA requirements. (Students should also know that allowances exist for sharing information when the student’s well-being is a concern.)

As a UNH student, it will be important for you to self-advocate, ask questions, and assume responsibility for communicating your accommodation needs with SAS and your faculty.


Documentation provides the information necessary to (1) identify the disability, and (2) determine appropriate accommodations. It may include student self-report, professional judgment, and 3rd party documentation.

While having a disability protects you from discrimination under the law, determining the impact or the functional limitations of the disability will help establish what accommodations may be appropriate.

Once you provide the documentation you will meet with an SAS staff member and together, through an interactive process, determine if ample information exists or additional information is necessary. Unlike elementary or secondary school, it is the student’s responsibility to provide any necessary documentation to SAS.

After meeting with SAS staff (who will have reviewed your documentation), you will know whether you are eligible for accommodations, what those accommodations may be, and how to create a faculty accommodation letter, as appropriate.

Issues related to housing, parking & transportation, or enrollment may also be addressed during this meeting.

SAS works collaboratively with many other departments across campus and can assist in identifying additional resources (e.g., tutoring, writing assistance, mentoring, counseling).

SAS provides assistance to students with temporary disabilities/injuries who may require support or accommodations. Please contact the SAS office as soon as possible and try to provide documentation outlining your injury, impact, and duration. SAS can provide accommodations on a temporary basis working with both the student and their instructors. 

Depending on the injury and/or impact, SAS may refer the student to UNH Health and Wellness or other campus resources (i.e. Access Van) for further assistance.


Initially, you must meet with an SAS staff member to review your documentation and determine appropriate accommodations.  An accommodation letter will be created at that time. Once accommodations are established, and if no changes are needed, each semester you can independently request/send accommodation letters via ClockWork.

Sending the letters is a 2-step process:

1.  Send the letters via ClockWork. This must be done by the student each semester.
2.  Meet with each faculty member to determine how those accommodations will be implemented in his/her specific course.

It is essential that you meet to discuss the logistics early enough to ensure the accommodations can be implemented.  We recommend talking with your professor 7 days prior to an exam; otherwise, it may not allow enough time to put the accommodation in place.

There is no deadline to request accommodations or send faculty accommodation letters. However, accommodations are not retroactive!

***Please note that accommodations such as requesting course materials in an accessible format, or sign language interpreters, require sufficient notice to put in place. For such requests, we recommend you contact SAS as early as possible to discuss the details of your accommodation needs.

Housing accommodations are managed through SAS. The same process is used as for classroom accommodations:

  1.  documentation is collected and reviewed,
  2.  a meeting with the student occurs, and
  3.  a determination is made for appropriate accommodations.

SAS then notifies Housing. Housing makes accommodations based on reasonableness and availability.

A service dog is a trained, working dog that performs a specific task for an individual due to the disability. It is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended (ADAAA, 2008). Notification to SAS is necessary only for Housing purposes to make arrangements for room assignment and potential roommates. A service dog may go anywhere on campus, with few exceptions.

An emotional support animal (ESA) has no requirement to be trained. It is covered under the Fair Housing Act (FHA), and is restricted to the individual’s residence/living community. As such, it is an accommodation to Housing and its ‘no pet’ policy. The process for Housing accommodations is noted above.

See: UNH Service Dog and Emotional Support Animal Policy

Student's Responsibility

Students with disabilities are held to the same academic, personal, and behavioral standards as all students.

Unlike K-12, it is the student’s responsibility (and choice) to self-disclose a disability and request accommodations. SAS is the appropriate point of contact for that purpose. Faculty, staff, and others should direct students to SAS to request accommodations.  

Accommodation needs and requests can only be addressed once we know they exist. Therefore, it is essential that the student make contact with SAS and provide the necessary information to make an informed decision. Accommodations are only provided upon request by you, the student.

(1) to notify my instructors 

Once an ACCOMMODATION LETTER is created, it is the student's responsibility to send the letter to faculty (each semester) via ClockWork.  Assistance is available if questions or problems arise using ClockWork.

Students then need to meet with each instructor to determine how the accommodations will be put in place (e.g., extended time).

(2) to schedule exams  

EXAMS are scheduled by the student with the instructor. Extended time and a separate location are handled by the instructor (or department). SAS can assist as necessary.

When using assistive technology, a reader or scribe, exams are scheduled with SAS by the student through ClockWork.

Meeting with the instructor is necessary before scheduling an exam with SAS.

(3) to get notetakers

Once ‘NOTETAKER’ is identified as an accommodation, the student is responsible for going into ClockWork to request a Notetaker for each desired course. Once Notetakers are available, SAS will notify the student. Some courses may have no need for a Notetaker (e.g., Yoga).


ClockWork is a complete online scheduling and data management system designed to meet the specialized needs of Student Accessibility Services. ClockWork was designed to streamline and simplify all SAS processes for both students and faculty. ClockWork is housed under the University's secure network (HIPPA/FERPA Compliant) to protect the integrity of the  SAS office and our students. 

FERPA (Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act) limits the release of personal information to others without the student’s permission and consent. At times, it may be necessary for SAS to discuss the nature of accommodations—but not the nature of the disability—with student service providers, such as professors/instructors, Center for Academic Resources (CFAR) staff, coaches, other UNH administrators/staff. This discussion may be necessary to ensure the effective implementation of the accommodations.

In addition, the University may be required to release such information for medical emergencies, legal proceedings or to comply with other state or federal laws. The same standard of confidentiality will apply to student complaints regarding accommodations.

Parking and Transportation Accessibility

The Wildcat Access Van provides on-campus, point-to-point transportation for UNH students with permanent or temporary mobility needs. The Access Van services the same campus area that is served by the Campus Connector shuttles.

Additionally, all of the Wildcat Transit and Campus Connector buses are equipped with wheelchair lifts.  It is recommended  but not required that you call if you will be requiring the lift. (Phone: 603-862-2328)  For more information, visit the Wildcat Transit Services website.

COAST is a public bus service which offers a variety of routes & schedules, is accessible, and offers a paratransit program for eligible riders who are unable to access the bus system and require an origin-to-destination service.

Freshmen are prohibited from having vehicles on campus. An accommodation request may be made due to a disability. Contact SAS (603-862-2607, 800-735-2964 Relay NH;

All students, faculty, staff and visitors are required to have a valid UNH Parking Permit. To park in an accessible space, an individual must also have a state-issued accessible permit/placard. Those 2 permits together, allow parking in any valid UNH student, faculty/staff, commuter, or visitor accessible parking space.

With only a state-issued accessible permit, a person may park for free at any unreserved meters or visitor spaces up to the maximum hours allowed.

See UNH Parking Regulations Manual (Article V, Section 8)