Families and the Transition


UNH students walking down the street in the fall

UNH Students in the Fall

As students move from high school to college it is a transition for everyone.  What to do with the empty room.  Impact on other siblings.  Expectations about phone calls, laundry, and money.

SAS is committed to helping ensure a smooth transition for your student:

  • Understanding the differences between high school v. higher education;
  • Navigating the services, resources, and bureaucracy;
  • Supporting (and developing) individual responsibility.


Click on the buttons below for more information regarding transitioning from secondary to postsecondary education:

GENERAL DIFFERENCES - secondary vs Postsecondary Education



Is your child currently on an IEP or 504 Plan?

Students may apply for accommodations regardless of their history of accommodations in K-12. Once admitted and UNH email and ID received, a student is able to complete the Intake process with SAS through ClockWork. You are always welcome to visit with a SAS staff member for assistance or questions.

Please do NOT send documentation to Admissions or Housing. All documentation should be submitted via ClockWork (electronic format). Any hard copies, faxes, or emails of documentation will ultimately need to be put into ClockWork.

All prospective students are encouraged to contact SAS early to learn about services and supports available at UNH. No documentation is necessary until the student is accepted to UNH. Documentation may include (1) self-report, (2) SAS  professional judgment, or (3) 3rd-party evaluation. If you are unsure what you have is sufficient, present/submit it so that we may evaluate its completeness. An IEP or 504 Plan is one source.

The admissions process for students with disabilities is the same as for all students. Questions about how the disability and/or high school accommodations/modifications may impact meeting the Admission Requirements, please contact SAS (603.862.2607, 711 TTY, 800.735.2964 Relay NH).