Housing and Inn Between Fund

UNH recognizes there are students  facing homelessness and often may hesitate speaking about their homelessness. 

Resources Available for students to help during periods of homelessness.

Emergency Support

For students experiencing emergency housing loss, please contact the Dean of Students office at 862-2053.

Working in partnership with local faith groups we are able to provide 24 to 48 hour housing options while students are accessing the New Hampshire shelter system.

Students can also connect with shelter options throughout New Hampshire by calling Coordinated Entry at (603)435-2448 or dial 211.

New Hampshire Shelter System

All homeless shelters in Strafford and eastern Rockingham County and southern York County in Maine use Coordinated Entry to screen and intake shelter candidates.   

The Coordinated Entry office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. , phone (603) 435-2448.
For assistance after hours, on weekends, and on holidays, call from a phone with a New Hampshire area code the statewide homeless hotline at 211

Helpful Tips for using Coordinated Entry:

  • If no one answers, leave a message, and they will call you back within 24 hours.

  • Make sure your voicemail is set up and your mailbox is not full.

  • Unblock your phone from unavailable numbers.

  • When Coordinated Entry calls you back, the number will show up as (603) 435-2500.

Short Break Options

During the short breaks of Thanksgiving, spring and winter breaks, housing can also be a challenge for some students.
Housing is available during academic year break periods (Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring).
The cost is $50 per semester. 

Financial Assistance is available through the Inn Between Fund.

Inn Between Fund  

The Inn Between fund is a way Wildcats can support Wildcats.
This fund is available to UNH students challenged with homelessness to pay for housing during UNH Thanksgiving, Spring Break and January Term.  In addition, upon approval of the Dean of Students Office, these funds may be used to provide funds to students who have been temporarily displaced due to unforseen circumstances. To request assistance for temporary housing, please contact the Dean of Students office or call (603) 862-2053.

Staff and faculty at UNH can contribute to fund using payroll gift form and direct gift to the Inn Between Fund.


Community Hosting During Thanksgiving Break

We are able to connect students to people in the community through a partnership with local faith groups. Students can contact the Dean of Students office at (603) 862-2053.

Note: There are no meal plans available during these breaks. 
Students can receive support for food insecurity through the Swipe It Forward program which is accessed by contacting the Dean of Students office or call (603) 862-2053.

Summer Resources

Career and Professional Services (CaPS) has a list of employers that provide housing as part of their summer employment package. This can be helpful to students who require employment with housing during the summer breaks. Housing benefits will vary by employer and position, so it is important to check the specific details for each posting. 

Students can also consider attending the Outdoor Jobs Fair which is hosted each spring by the UNH Kinesiology Department. This fair features a number of summer employers that provide housing as part of their summer employment package.
Summer employment opportunities with housing.

CaPS staff can also assist by identifying employers that provide housing during the academic year. Please contact raul.bernal@unh.edu for more information.