Annual Campus Crime Report: Safety and Security Information (2017)

University Police and Campus Safety

The University Police Department reports to the Vice President for Finance and Administration. The Chief of Police is responsible for the management of the University Police Department and reports to the Vice President for Finance and Administration. However, all public safety services are coordinated with other key university, state and local officials.

The University Police Department, consisting of Patrol, Support, and Campus Safety Services, provides continuous year round Campus Safety and law enforcement to the university community. Twenty-four hour patrol and dispatch services are provided with access to State and Municipal emergency services. University Police Officers are certified by the New Hampshire Police Standards and Training Council and are sworn with full police powers.

In addition to the Police personnel of the department, Campus Safety officers patrol the campus and residential halls on a regular, daily basis. Campus Safety personnel receive in-service training and training from the Tri-State Security Academy.

The University of New Hampshire Communications Center, staffed by professional emergency dispatchers, operates on a twenty-four hour basis and receives all calls for emergency and routine service. Communications specialists instantly dispatch the appropriate response and have the ability to communicate with local, county, state and federal agencies when required.

All Emergency calls should be made to 911. Regular business calls of a non-emergency nature can be made to the University Police Department (862-1427) at any time.

If you call the University Police Department, please provide the following information:

• Your name
• Location of the incident you are reporting.
• A description of the scene and suspects.
• A description of any vehicles involved in the incident, especially a license plate number

The most important thing to remember is that suspicion of a crime does not require proof. If you suspect that a crime is being committed or has been committed, call the University Police Department immediately.

Building Security

Academic and support buildings are available to authorized members of the campus community and to official visitors and/or individuals who have legitimate business needs during hours the buildings are open.

All buildings are secured each night and are open only during normal business hours.

Entry after normal hours is only available to faculty, staff and authorized students, as determined by the appropriate academic or administrative offices.

Buildings are patrolled and checked by University Police and Campus Safety staff who are equipped with emergency telephone and fire detective systems directly connected to the emergency dispatch center.

Certain buildings are alarmed for the protection of contents and personnel and the alarms are activated when any illegal entry is made. Immediate response to the alarm location is made by University Police personnel.

All UNH residence halls and undergraduate apartments are secured 24/7.

All residence halls and undergraduate apartment buildings are equipped with an electronic card access system that allows authorized students to gain access to a building by swiping their University ID card through a card reader located at designated exterior doors.

From 7 am to 9 p.m., all students living in on-campus housing will have access to all residence halls and on campus undergraduate apartments. From 9 p.m. to 7 am, only students living in each residence hall or apartment building will have access to that building.

Hall staff perform regular assigned building checks each evening and, in addition, regular patrol/building checks are made by Campus Safety personnel of the University. Unscheduled patrols of the residence halls are conducted by officers of the University Police Department as well. Safety and security checks made in the residence halls are expected to detect damage to doors, windows and safety features. Any suspicious activity, suspicious person, or crimes in progress should be reported immediately to the University Police Department.

Policies on Alcohol and Illegal Drug Use

The University of New Hampshire adheres to and enforces its policies related to alcohol and illegal drug use. These policies are consistent with federal and state laws and are published annually in the Student Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities. Numerous programs related to alcohol and drug education are provided for students.

Crime Prevention Resources and Services

The University of New Hampshire provides direct service programs to the members of the University community. These programs are dedicated to the prevention of crime on campus; they vary in scope and content, with the emphasis on community involvement. Specific programs dealing with campus safety and security services include the following:

Security audits of buildings 2-1427
Escort service 2-1427
Operation Identification 2-1427
lf defense training 2-1427
Campus lighting checks and surveys 2-1427
Criminal incident evaluations and reports to the campus Community policing programs 2-1427
Professional counseling services 2-2090

Alcohol assistance programs: 2-3823 (8–4:30)
2-1530 (after hours)
1-800-451-1715 anytime

Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention Program 2-3494
Residential hall safety programs 2-2268

The key to preventing crime is awareness, which is best achieved through education. At UNH, police, Campus Safety, residence life staff, students, and others help students take responsibility for their own safety.

The majority of incidents on college campuses can be avoided if students recognize that they can become victims and take basic precautions, such as walking in groups at night and keeping residence doors locked. These messages are given to all UNH students from the first day they arrive on campus in meetings with resident assistants and throughout the academic year in regular programs presented on campus by various offices.

Passenger Rail Service

The railroad tracks and surrounding area are private property and are off limits. Trespassing on the railroad tracks is dangerous and may result in a summons.

Cooperative Law Enforcement Functions

The University of New Hampshire Police Department continually works in concert with local, county, state and federal law enforcement agencies.

The principal local law enforcement agencies adjacent to the campus properties are linked together by a computer system for reporting crime. Each agency has direct access for sharing of information, statistical data collection and cooperative planning. The system is located in the University of New Hampshire Police Department and the local departments have direct access to the system.

The University of New Hampshire, through the Police Department, maintains uniform crime reporting data and reports all crimes within the criteria established by the Uniform Crime Reporting System (NIBRS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The University informs the campus community of violent criminal activity that may be threatening or potentially dangerous to the community and its members. Specific procedures are in place to establish such a response.

Campus Crime, Educational Opportunities­—Where to Go
for Assistance

A statistical report for the past three calendar years is presented on the University Web pages, address is found at the end of this section. The table shows that the most common problem over this time period at UNH has been theft. Offenses involving the abuse of alcohol represent a second general category.

The statistics for sexual assault indicate that rape is a problem on college campuses, and we believe that education is the most powerful weapon to combat this problem. Education includes a variety of approaches including safety awareness and crime prevention. We want to do all we can to reduce the likelihood of this crime taking place on campus and to encourage individuals to report incidents when they do occur. Our tradition of rape education and our consistent message of encouragement to report all crimes are having a positive impact. Students are better educated, more aware, and more willing to come forward.

Sexual assault is a violation of the UNH Code of Conduct, as well as a violation of state law. Students are encouraged to report all cases of sexual assault to the University Police Department (862-1427). Reporting a violation does not require criminal prosecution. In situations where the accused person is a student, the case may be adjudicated through the student judicial process. The judicial process provides due process protections for both the complainant and the accused student. The complainant has the right to the following:

1. The right to a formal hearing to determine responsibility and appropriate sanctions;

2. The right to assistance at the hearing from an advisor;

3. The right to alternative living arrangements or academic scheduling if the accused student lives or attends classes in close proximity; and

4. The right to be notified of the outcome of the hearing and the sanction imposed.

Contact Community Standards (862-3377) for further information.

In addition to the statistical profile presented at the Web address, a list of definitions is included below and provides basic information about each crime category.


Arson—To unlawfully and intentionally damage, or attempt to damage any real or personal property by fire or incendiary device.

Aggravated Assault (Assault 1st & 2nd)—The unlawful attack by one person upon another wherein the offender uses a weapon or displays it in a threatening manner, or the victim suffers obvious severe or aggravated bodily injury involving apparent broken bones, loss of teeth, possible internal injury, severe laceration, or loss of consciousness.

Simple Assault—An unlawful physical attack by one person upon another where neither the offender displays a weapon, nor the victim suffers obvious severe or aggravated bodily injury involving apparent broken bones, loss of teeth, possible internal injury, severe laceration, or loss of consciousness.

Burglary—The unlawful entry into a building or other structure with the intent to commit a felony or a theft.

Criminal Mischief—To willfully or maliciously destroy, damage, deface, or otherwise injure real or personal property without the consent of the owner or the person having custody or control over it.

Assault, Sexual—Any sexual act directed against another person, forcible and/or against that person’s will; or, where the victim is incapable of giving consent.

Dating/Domestic Violence—"Abuse" means the commission or attempted commission of Assault, Criminal Threatening, Sexual Assault, Interference with Custody, Destruction of Property, Unauthorized Entry and/or Harassment by a family or household member or current or former sexual or intimate partner and where such conduct constitutes a credible threat to the victim’s safety.

Murder and Non negligent Manslaughter—The willful (non negligent) killing of one human being by another.

Robbery—The taking, or attempting to take, anything of value under confrontational circumstances from the control, custody, or care of another person by force or threat of force or violence and/or by putting the victim in fear of immediate harm.

Weapon Law Violations—The violation of laws or ordinances prohibiting the manufacture, sale, purchase, transportation, possession, concealment, or use of firearms, cutting instruments, explosives, incendiary devices, or other deadly weapons.

Disorderly Conduct—Any behavior that tends to disturb the public peace or decorum, scandalize the community, or shock the public sense of morality.

Liquor Law Violations—The violation of laws or ordinances prohibiting the manufacture, sale, purchase, transportation, possession, or use of alcoholic beverages.

Trespass of Real Property—To unlawfully enter land, a dwelling, or other real property.

Drug/Narcotic Violations—The unlawful cultivation, manufacture, distribution, sale, purchase, use, possession, transportation, or importation of any controlled drug or narcotic substance.

Larceny/Theft Offences—The unlawful taking, carrying, leading, or riding away of property from the possession, or constructive possession, of another person.

Motor Vehicle Theft—The theft of a motor vehicle.

Campus Sex Crime Prevention Act and Duty to Report

Under the federal Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act, sex offenders who are otherwise required to register in a state, must notify the state of each institution of higher education at which the offender is employed, enrolled as a student, or carries on a vocation. If a registered sex offender is employed, enrolled, or carries on a vocation at the University of New Hampshire, the State of New Hampshire must promptly notify the University of New Hampshire and Durham Police Departments. Under RSA 651-B:4 (Duty to Report), convicted sex offenders who are working with or without compensation at, or enrolled for classes at the University of New Hampshire, must register with the Durham Police Department. Failure to register is considered a misdemeanor.

Members of the UNH community who wish to obtain information regarding registered sex offenders should come in person to either the University of New Hampshire or Durham Police Departments to review the registry.

The Megan’s Law information can be found at the following site: <>. This is the Registered Offenders Against Children New Hampshire Web site.

Campus Crime Report

In compliance with the Federal Jeanne Clery act, a statistical report on campus crime can be found at A hard copy of the report can also be obtained by contacting the University Police Department, (603) 862-1427.


For more information about safety on the UNH campus, you are encouraged to contact the University Police Department at (603) 862-1427, or the UNH Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention Program (SHARPP) at (603) 862-3494. A university official will be glad to discuss your questions and concerns.

The University of New Hampshire is committed to establishing and maintaining a safe and violence free community. The University espouses these values in order to have its members learn, thrive, work and live together in a safe environment. The University of New Hampshire does not tolerate incidents of sexual violence, relationship abuse, sexual harassment or stalking. The University will hold UNH community members who violate this policy accountable according to University policies and New Hampshire State laws.

Statement on sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence and stalking

Creating a safer and more supportive environment that cultivates learning and personal growth is central to the mission of the University of New Hampshire. All forms of sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking interfere with this mission objective. Sexual misconduct includes sexual harassment, sexual assault, and unwanted sexual contact. Furthermore, sexual harassment (including sexual assault and unwanted sexual contact) is a form of prohibited discrimination.

As illustrated through the collaborative work among a number of departments and individuals at UNH, our community takes seriously our responsibilities to work with all individuals of the institution who have been impacted by sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking. The official UNH policy is located at The policy spells out prohibited behaviors that violate the Student Code of Conduct and New Hampshire State Laws. It provides options and resources for those who are impacted by violations, as well as outlines the rights of complainants and respondents. Respondents are those who are accused of a violation of the UNH Code of Conduct..

Information about the Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act (SaVE) can be found at:

Information specific to UNH regarding the Campus SaVE Act can be found in the UNH Annual Security Report that is updated each October. The URL is:

New Hampshire state laws regarding stalking and domestic violence can be found at:

The New Hampshire state law on Sexual Assault and Related Offenses can be found at:

To talk with someone on a confidential basis about issues related to sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence and/or stalking, you make contact any of the following offices.

• Sexual Harassment & Rape Prevention Program, Wolff House, (603) 862-7233

• Psychological and Counseling Services, Smith Hall, (603) 862-2090.

• Health & Wellness, 4 Pettee Brook Lane, (603) 862-9355

NOTE: students may also talk confidentially to an ordained religious leader, such as a minister, priest, or rabbi who is certified and duly recognized by an authorized religious organization.

To initiate a criminal complaint:

• On Campus: UNH Police, 18 Waterworks Road, (603) 862-1427

• In Durham: Durham Police Department, 86 Dover Road,
(603) 868-2324

• Outside of Durham: Contact your local Police Department

To initiate a Code of Conduct complaint:

• Community Standards, 2 Hitchcock Hall, (603) 862-3377

To initiate a Title IX or Sexual Harassment complaint, contact:

Donna Marie Sorrentino
Director & Title IX Coordinator
603.862.2930 (voice)
603.862.1527 (tty)
7-1-1 (Relay NH)

NOTE: A staff member from the Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention Program (SHARPP), (603) 862-7233, is available to assist in initiating any form of complaint.