Social Sector Franchise Accelerator (SSFA) is a combined accelerator and action learning/applied research project. The accelerator takes place over eight months and engages emerging social sector franchise entrepreneurs who receive intensive organizational support including ongoing mentoring with a commercial franchise expert from the International Franchise Association (IFA), Social Sector Task Force (SSTF). The action learning/applied research will produce Living Case Study blog posts, descriptive and full length case studies on the social sector franchises who participate in the accelerator.
The 2018-19 SSFA Application Process Is Now Open!
The Accelerator Process
- Nomination and Selection - SSFA social sector franchisers (known as protégé’s) are nominated by UNH faculty, SSFI Advisory Board members or IFA SSTF members and reflect a diversity of franchise models, products or services, maturity, financing, geographic location etc.
- Social Sector Franchise Innovations Roundtable (SSFIR) – Proteges attend the SSFIR, an invitation only convening held each October along with a diverse cross section of social sector franchise entrepreneurs, commercial franchise experts, social impact donors and investors, scholars, and students. The roundtable includes one day of panels, speakers, and networking to advance the practice of social sector franchising. On the second day protégés present critical growth issues to small groups of roundtable participants who help forge Action Plans to accelerate franchise expansion and guide the mentoring process.
- Mentoring - Commences shortly after the Roundtable and continues via teleconference for the next seven months between the social franchiser and expert commercial franchise mentors.
- Action Research and the Living Case Study– UNH Student Research Fellows are assigned to a specific SSFA mentor and protégé team, monitor each call and compose monthly blog posts. Student Research Fellows visit the social franchises in the field to conduct in depth research. Fellows write a descriptive case study and contribute to the writing of a full- length case study about the assigned social sector franchise and progress made during their time in the accelerator.
Social Sector Franchise Accelerator and Living Case Studies Activities Milestone Calendar
- March 13: SSFA application process opens
- April 27: SSFA application process closes 5 PM EDT
- May 11: SSFA 2018-19 Protégé Cohort selection announced
- May 25: Mentor and Protégé matches announced
- June 1-June 15: Mentor-Protégé Virtual Introductions
- July 17: Protégé Orientation Webinar
- August 6 - 17: Franchising Basics mini-course (self -directed)
- October 8: Protégés and mentors arrive in NH
- October 9: Mentor-Protégé orientation day
- October 10-11: Social Sector Franchise Innovations Roundtable
- November 5 (approximately): LCSA Mentor-Protégé calls begin
- January 7-18, 2019: Visits by UNH student research fellows to SSFA protégé sites.
- May 2019: SSFA Mentor-Protégé calls end