Semester in the City: Learn More and Apply

Frequently Asked Questions

For questions about the Semester in the City experience, please visit this FAQ page.  For questions about UNH eligibility and processes, see below.

Q: Who is eligible to participate?

A: Students may apply to participate in their sophomore, junior, or senior year, with a declared major and 2.5 cumulative UNH GPA or higher, with priority given to students with above 3.0.  Students may apply during their first year, as long as they have completed at least 32 credits prior to participation, with at least 12 of these credits earned at UNH at the baccalaureate level.  Priority will be given to students with a demonstrated commitment to community service and/or extracurricular leadership in high school and/or college.  

  • Please complete a UNH Study Away Student Eligibility Form, to confirm that you are in good academic, financial, and judicial standing, and that you will represent UNH in a positive light.  Fill out the top portion of the form and drop it off at the Dean's Office for your College.  Interning with College for Social Innovation is a privilege, and students with prior judicial or arrest records may not be eligible to attend.
  • International Students on F-1 or J-1 Visa must register with the Office of International Students & Scholars, for a semester away for Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Q: What does the application process look like?

A:   Click here to view the  online application.   Students will be asked to answer several short essay questions explaining their interest in the program, as well as to submit a resume and unofficial transcript.  UNH applicants are encouraged to attend an information session on campus  or to schedule a meeting with Paula DiNardo in the office of Study Away USA (schedule appointments via Wildcat Advising >> Study Away USA) to understand your academic options and other logistics (e.g., major credit, cost, housing). 

Q: How much will it cost for me to participate in the program?

A: This program costs the same as one semester at UNH!  You continue paying your standard tuition and mandatory fees.  All financial aid will continue to come from UNH. 

Q: What is not covered by my tuition?

A: Participants will pay College for Social Innovation directly for their housing in Boston, which will cost about the same as average room  of similar size on campus.  Participants can use their financial aid to help cover the cost of room and board.

Q. Will I receive full academic credit for participating in the program?

A:  Yes!  You will receive the same number of credits you would at the University of New Hampshire as a full-time enrolled student, which is 16 credits.  You will also fulfill your Social Sciences Discovery requirement.  In some cases, all or some of the credits will also count toward academic major or minor requirements and/or core distribution requirements.  Speak with your advisor or department chair to learn more.

Q. I'm excited to participate!  How do I apply?

A: Complete the online application!