Reporting Requirements

report it.

University Specific Sexual Assault Reporting Requirements

UNH faculty and staff members have significant interaction with students and are often in a position to have an important role in identifying and responding to students who are experiencing personal difficulties.

Sexual Harassment/Sexual Abuse by a member of the UNH Faculty or Staff: The Schneider Ruling of the NH Supreme Court requires that all faculty and staff must report any incidents of sexual harassment and/or sexual assault perpetrated by a faculty or staff member on a student to the UNH Affirmative Action and Equity Office.

The Federal Clery Act requires that "Campus Security Advisors” are required to report a variety of campus-related crimes to the UNH PD.  Faculty advisors are considered Campus Security Advisors because they fall under “significant responsibility for student and campus activities”. They are thereby are required to report incidents of sexual assault among other crimes. However, faculty who do not have any responsibility for student and campus activity beyond the classroom does not meet the CSA criteria. The Clery Act also requires colleges and universities to publish an annual report which includes their crime statistics. The UNH Clery Report can be found at

Title IX states that if a school knows or reasonably should know about student-on-student sexual harassment that creates a hostile environment, Title IX requires the school to take immediate action to eliminate the harassment, prevent its recurrence, and address its effects. A sexual assault is viewed under this umbrella.  

Please reference the University of New Hampshire's Discriminatory Harassment Policy for further information.

Please note: SHARPP, UNH Counseling Center, and Health Services are offices that are staffed by University employees, including sexual assault/domestic violence counselors, psychologists, physicians, and medical staff. As part of their role, the staff in these services are legally obligated to protect the confidentiality of their communications with clients/patients. The staff of these offices are not required to report information about sexual assault, relationship abuse, stalking or other issues unless they relate to someone currently under the age of 18.

Mandatory Reporting Requirements for All NH Residents
(Unless Specifically Limited By Profession)

Child Abuse: The State of New Hampshire requires ALL persons who have knowledge or suspicion of abuse and/or neglect affecting someone currently under the age of 18 to report the abuse to the NH Division of Children Youth and Families if this abuse happened in NH. This would include information shared about neighbors, siblings, etc.  Abuse that happened in the past to someone who is no longer a minor is not reportable. 

You may also be required to report abuse that impacts a minor in another state. 

Elder/Incapacitated Adult Abuse: There is a similar requirement mandating the reporting of abuse and/or neglect of an elderly or incapacitated adult.  Reports are made to the NH Division of Adult and Elderly Services.

Hazing: NH State Law requires that all persons report any hazing reported to him/her by others or of which s/he otherwise has the knowledge to law enforcement authorities.

The following website gives a quick overview of reporting obligations for child abuse and elder/incapacitated adult abuse by state: