The UNH Safe Zones Trainings are professional development opportunities for UNH faculty, staff, and graduate students to advance awareness, knowledge, and skills around the services and support that we provide to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ) students and colleagues. Participants of Safe Zones Trainings are a campus-wide network of allies who are supportive of LGBTQ faculty, students, and staff and are committed to contributing to a campus climate of inclusion at UNH.
UNH Safe Zones is co-sponsored by the President's Commission on the Status of GLBT Issues and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs.
Typical Trainings are 1.5 hours. We may accommodate a 1 hour training, and some trainings are 2 hours.
Groups / Finding a Training to Attend:
- Most of the trainings we offer are "department-specific trainings" (offered to one department at a time).
- We offer a few trainings that are open to mixed groups of faculty and staff from various departments.
Topic Areas Explored During Trainings:
Each Training is "tailored" based on the specific issues that participants may encounter in their particular professional work / setting. Some general topics that are explored are:
- Increasing awareness of the issues and experiences of LGBTQ individuals,
- Using inclusive language,
- Accessing and referring LGBTQ individuals to important campus resources,
- Discovering specific ways to provide support and be an ally in the work that you do with students,
- Exploring specific issues related to providing services to LGBTQ students and assessing ways to be inclusive of and welcoming to LGBTQ individuals in the general services that you provide,
- Developing skills to take active steps toward reducing and preventing harassment, discrimination, and violence based on sexual orientation and gender identity or expression,
- As an office / department, how can you best "communicate" that you [your department] is supportive [an ally] to LGBTQ students?
Safe Zones Stickers:
- At the end of a training, participants are invited to pick up a UNH Safe Zones sticker.
- We acknowledge that the decision to post a Safe Zones sticker is a personal one, and therefore deciding to pick up a Safe Zones sticker is optional.
- Read more about the meaning and significance of the UNH Safe Zones sticker.
To Schedule or Attend a Safe Zones Training:
- If you have questions, or are interested in attending an upcoming training, please call the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs at 603-862-5053 or 603-862-5204.
- To schedule a training for your department or office, please complete our online Safe Zones Request Form.