Health Privacy in The News
- Stop the privatization of health data - Nature.com - July 20, 2016
- There's No Such Thing as Innocuous Personal Data - Slate.com - August 8, 2016
- An argument for sharing personal data: How can we encourage cancer patients to share their health data? - Stat.news - August 9, 2016
- Understanding Individuals’ Right under HIPAA to Access their Health Information – US DHHS Office of Civil Rights – January 7, 2016
- Your Money or Your PHI: "Ransomware" Fact Sheet - US DHHS Office of Civil Rights
HIPAA Violations & Fines
- Improper disclosure of research participants' protected health information results in $3.9 million HIPAA settlement - US DHHS Office of Civil Rights - March 17, 2016
- $750,000 settlement highlights the need for HIPAA business associate agreements - US DHHS Office of Civil Rights - April 19, 2016
- Life imitates art? Unauthorized filming for "NY Med" results in $2.2 million settlement with New York Presbyterian Hospital - US DHHS Office of Civil Rights - April 21, 2016
- Oops! Business Associate’s Failure to Safeguard Nursing Home Residents’ PHI Leads to $650,000 HIPAA Settlement - US DHHS Office of Civil Rights - June 30, 2016
- Widespread HIPAA vulnerabilities result in $2.7 million settlement with Oregon Health & Science University - US DHHS Office of Civil Rights - July 18, 2016
- Multiple alleged HIPAA violations result in $2.75 million settlement with the University of Mississippi Medical Center - US DHHS Office of Civil Rights - July 21, 2016
If you notice a news item that would be appropriate to post here, please forward it to Melissa McGee.
The Knowledge Base contains forms, instruction and training material, minutes, policies, tools and other resources to support your research efforts by topic area.