students in lecture classroom

Detailed Registration Information

Add or Drop a course via Webcat through the published deadlines posted on the Master Academic Calendar.

Any student of the University may, with the approval of his/her adviser and the continuing consent of the instructor, audit courses at the University. 

  • The deadline for designating a registered course to audit is the 5th Friday of the fall or spring semester or the last day to drop without academic liability in Summer Session.
  • The instructor will determine requirements for attendance, participation, and any written work.
  • Audits appear on the academic record with a grade notation of ‘AU’; no credits are earned.
  • Students who do not meet the criteria set by the instructor will be dropped from the course.
  • Tuition varies for audit courses; see Undergraduate Tuition and Fees, Graduate Tuition and Fees, and Continuing Education Audit Privileges for details.
  • Download and complete an Audit Course Form
  • Closed Section or Reserve Closed:  No space in section at this time. Check for other open sections by clicking Class Search at the bottom of the page. There must be a seat remaining in the RESV column for you to register.
  • CORQ_(class) REQ: You must register for two classes.
  • Field of Study Restriction - Major: Section is reserved for students in a specific major.
  • Link Error: A2 Required: Register for a lecture AND a lab and/or recitation. Enter both CRNs and click Submit Changes.
  • Mutual Exclusion with XXXXX: You cannot register if you have completed a mutually exclusive course with a passing grade. If you have special circumstances that require you to take two mutually exclusive courses, you must have an approved Petition for Variance in Academic Policy form.
  • Permission Required: You must have permission from the department or instructor.
  • Prerequisite requirement Not Satisfied: You have not completed the necessary prerequisite course. To register without prerequisites, you must have permission from the department or instructor.
  • Undergraduate registration is limited to a maximum of 18 credits. Except to those majors requiring more than 18 credits. Consult with your advisor. Students may register up to a maximum of 20 credits the Tuesday before classes begin. Minimum GPAs are required. PAUL 3.0, TSAS 2.8, UNHM 2.0, all other colleges 2.0. Students who wish to exceed 20 credits must petition their dean and pay a tuition surcharge.
  • Graduate registration is limited to a maximum of 16 credits (12 credits for students with a full assistantship). Permission is required from the dean of the Graduate School to exceed the limit.
  • Part-Time Students (less than 12 credits): Any undergraduate degree student may attend on a part-time basis. No special permission is required, it is not necessary to withdraw or register through Continuing Education. Students contact Business Services regarding billing adjustments.

Students registering on or after the first day of classes are expected to pay tuition and fees at the time of registration. Students with unpaid bills may be dropped from their courses if payment is not received by the published deadlines. Bills are published to each student's Webcat account and not sent by postal mail. Notifications are sent to a students' UNH assigned email account.

More information about billing at Business Services.

Webcat registration remains open for these courses through the 3rd Friday of the Fall and Spring semester.

Course Reference Number (CRN) is available for the below sections at

  • GRAD 800.01 Continuing Enrollment
  • GRAD 900.01 College Teaching & Environmental Education majors
  • GRAD 900.02 Computer Science & Engineering majors
  • GRAD 900.03 Non-Computer Science/Engineering CEPS majors
  • GRAD 900.04 COLA majors
  • GRAD 900.05 COLSA majors
  • GRAD 900.06 PAUL majors
  • GRAD 900.07 CHHS majors
  • DEPT 899/999
  • Certain holds on accounts will prohibit registration.
  • View holds in Webcat under the Registration menu.

Webcat is available 24 hours a day, Monday - Saturday.

  1. Login to Webcat (login assistance 603-862-4242)
  2. Select Registration
  3. Select Add/Drop Courses
  4. Select Term (ex: Fall 2018) and Submit
  5. Enter RAC (if applicable)
  6. Enter CRNs (the five digit course reference number) for the courses, or select Class Search to find open courses
    Note: When searching for classes, if there is a number in the RESV column, the section is open.
  7. Select Submit Changes
  8. Message appears notifiying if registration was successful or errors occured.
  9. Select Complete when finished.
  10. For a printed schedule; choose Printable Schedule.
    Type in the date for the first full week of classes.

Courses are mutually exclusive when course content is too similar to earn credit for both.

Students may not enroll if they have completed any mutually exclusive courses with a passing grade.

Petition for Variance in Academic Policy must be submitted for a mutually exclusive course to:

  • Request permission to register due to exceptional circumstances.
  • Request permission to exercise the repeated course rule.

Note: credit will not be awarded for the most recent course completed, unless approved by petition.

Grade Rules

  • Prerequisites: It is the responsibility of the student to ensure all prerequisites or other requirements for a course have been met.

Undergraduate degree students are issued a new RAC for fall and spring semester allowing registration during designated dates and times. RACs cannot be changed. If you lost your RAC and have used it at least once to register, you will be able to look up your RAC on Webcat by selecting View RAC-registered undergrads only on the Registration menu.

Graduate degree students do not require a RAC to register for courses.

Continuing Education non-degree students do not require a RAC to register for courses.

Permission is required for restricted courses as follows:


  1. Permission granted by the department office.
  2. Go to the department office before you register in Webcat.


  1. Permission granted by the instructor.
  2. Go to the department office before you register in Webcat.


  • Permission (override) granted by the department office.
  • or, complete a (LINK: “Registration Override form”), bring to the Registrar's Office in Stoke Hall before registering for the course.


  • Undergraduate students: submit a petition to your dean's office with both advisor and instructor signatures.
  • Graduate students: submit a petition to the Graduate School.


Students must register for co-requistite courses simultaneously (e.g. lecture and a lab).