How to Apply for OPT
E-Notification: If you want to receive an email and/or a text message that your I-765 has been accepted at the USCIS facility, complete form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and clip it to the first page of your application.
Submit the following to the Office of International Students and Scholars at least 90 days prior to requested beginning date of employment:
Completed Form I-765.
A copy of the employment offer (if available).
The OISS staff will review these documents and if appropriate, issue a new SEVIS I-20 with a recommendation for Optional Practical Training. The original Form I-765 will be returned to you for submission to the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).
To complete your OPT Application, submit the following to the USCIS:
- Photocopy of your SEVIS I-20 bearing OISS recommendation for OPT;
- Completed Form I-765 with original signature and the appropriate code for Number 16;
- Personal Check, Money Order, or Certified Bank Check for filing fee made out to the "U.S. Department of Homeland Security" (do not abbreviate). Paper-clip the check to the front/top of the entire packet. Check the current filing fee.
- Copy of Form I-94;
- Copies of certain passport pages (photo, date of birth, date of passport's issue and expiration, F-1 visa);
- 2 passport style photographs (with your name written lightly in pencil on the back). We recommend that you place the photos in a small plastic bag and then paper-clip the bag to the application.
- Copies of ALL previously issued I-20's (front and back), if applicable; and
- Copy of previous EAD card (front and back), if applicable.
- For STEM extensions, include a copy of the degree conferred or transcript showing the major field of study in a STEM field.
Mail your complete application to:
For USPS (snail mail) deliveries
PO Box 660867
Dallas TX 75266
For Express Mail and Courier deliveries
2501 S. State Hwy 121 Business
Lewisville TX 75067