U.S. Department of State regulations require that sponsors (colleges, universities, or agencies which promote educational exchange) monitor insurance coverage for all exchange visitors (J-1 principal and J-2 dependent non-immigrants) in their programs.
While no recommendations are made on specific policies or carriers, the regulations do establish minimum coverage as follows:
1) Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness;
2) Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500;
3) Expenses associated with medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000.
An insurance policy secured to fulfill these requirements must provide coverage for activities inherent to the exchange program but may impose the following conditions:
- A waiting period for pre-existing conditions as long as the waiting period is reasonable by current industry standards;
- A co-payment not greater than 25%;
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.