Arrival at UNH
Immediately after the Exchange Visitor arrives on campus, the department should:
- Notify the International Scholar Advisor to make arrangements for group orientation. The visitor should be instructed to bring:
- his/her passport and all immigration documents;
- US addresses and phone numbers for residence and office;
- proof of adequate health insurance.
- Inform the Exchange Visitor that the hiring paperwork must be completed. The OISS will assist the Exchange Visitor to complete HR-related forms including Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, and Form W-4. Orientation materials provided by the OISS include detailed information about how to complete these forms and apply for a Social Security Number.
- Arrange to transport the Exchange Visitor to the Federal Building in Portsmouth to apply for a Social Security Number.
- Follow up with Human Resources to ensure that the Exchange Visitor obtains a UNH identification card.
- Arrange for e-mail and telephone services for the Exchange Visitor.
- Ensure that the Visitor's housing arrangements are complete and satisfactory.
- Provide a welcome and introduction to the Department.
Please remember to keep the OISS informed of any change in the status of the Exchange Visitor including:
- notification of early departure from the program;
- anticipated date of departure from the US following program completion; and
- the possible need for an extension of the program (at least 30 days prior to the expiration date on the current DS-2019).
Your cooperation and assistance in these matters are greatly appreciated and will enhance the University's Exchange Visitor Program. If you have any questions, please call 862-0086.