Mass gatherings by University of New Hampshire students are taken very seriously. These gatherings have a potential to inflect great harm to students, law enforcement officials, and the community at large. Students and University Officials have been injured in past gatherings. The University, Durham community members, and store owners have suffered substantial losses in property damage in past gatherings.
Because of this, the University has taken great lengths on working with and educating students on the consequences of participating in a gathering which are outlined below.
If, during a mass gathering, a student fails to comply with the lawful order to disperse issued by a police officer or University official acting in the performance of their duties and are arrested for failure to disperse, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, riot, vandalism, or assault, that student will be immediately interim suspended and banned from campus until the adjudication of their formal disciplinary hearing.
In order to promote the uniform disposition of these cases, for those students who were interim suspended, where the facts support a violation of policy by a preponderance of evidence, the following are the range of sanctions to be considered by hearing board and imposed by hearing officers:
- One Semester - One Year Suspension: Failure to disperse/disorderly conduct at an unruly disturbance.
- One - Two Year Suspension: Failure to disperse/disorderly conduct along with resisting arrest and/or rioting.
- Two Year Suspension - Dismissal: Failure to disperse/disorderly conduct along with resisting arrest and/or rioting with the addition of vandalism and/or assault.
Important to Note:
- Disorderly conduct may be elevated beyond a one year suspension up to a dismissal based on the facts.
- Resisting arrest and/or Rioting may be elevated beyond a two year suspension up to a dismissal based on the facts.
- Students who are suspended or dismissed are also banned from all campus property. For suspended students it is for the length of the suspension.