Courses, Grades, and Credits

Course Approval

All courses taken while on exchange are pre-approved prior to leaving UNH. The UNH NSE Planning Form  denotes how many credits will be accepted and the specific requirement each course satisfies.  Visit the UNH Transfer Course Database for courses that have been accepted by UNH in the past.  
The following UNH policies apply to all exchange students:


Grades of "C" or better will be accepted in transfer from NSE and NHCUC member exchange institutions.  “C-“ or "D" will not transfer. Students exchanging to campuses on the Quarter or Trimester system must fully understand the implications of transferring courses from Quarter to Semester school to UNH. Exchange is only approved when the student can exchange for two or more quarters, and courses MUST be at least 4 credits each.


For a full explanation of all UNH transfer credit policies, please refer to the UNH Study Away USA agreement and the UNH Registrar's Office website.

Plan on satisfying the University Writing Requirement (UWR) while at UNH.  Given the difficulty of documenting Writing Intensive (WI) methods at other campuses, it is advised that students take WI courses at UNH before or after your exchange, to ensure that you meet graduation requirements.

Some UNH majors require that major courses taken on exchange be only from campuses that have certain accreditations. Please check with your academic advisor or major department for accreditation requirements or recommendations. Here are a few examples:

  • CEPS majors should speak with an academic advisor about ABET requirements.
  • KIN/AT students are advised to check the CAATE website.
  • RMP majors should search for campuses accredited by the NRPA.
  • Paul College students must check that their HOST school is accredited by AACSB.

Registration in EXCH 595 maintains UNH full-time student status for financial aid, registration after exchange, and on-campus housing eligibility upon return.