January New Student Orientation
Plan to attend
Monday, January 6, 2020
9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Hamilton Smith Hall
New enrolling first-year and transfer students who will be joining the University of New Hampshire in spring 2020 are invited to join us on January 6, 2020. This will be an opportunity for you to learn about UNH, interact with faculty and staff from across campus, register for classes and connect with other new students.
Schedule of Events*
*Tentative schedule; subject to change
9:00 – 9:30 a.m. Check-In
Arrive early to allow ample time to find parking and getting to Hamilton-Smith Hall for check-in. Light refreshments will be served
9:30 – 10:00 a.m. University Welcome
Overview of the Orientation Program
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Engaging in campus life at UNH
Get your UNH student ID card. Learn about involvement opportunities and resources available to help you with your transition to UNH
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. Lunch provided by UNH
Located in Holloway Commons
1:00 – 3:00 p.m. Academic Advising
Frequently Asked Questions
College of Liberal Arts (COLA): contact Kevin Sousa in the COLA dean’s office at email@example.com. He will assist students with registration and/or arrange a discussion with an advisor.
College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (CEPS): contact the CEPS associate dean’s office/academic affairs and ask to speak with someone about course registration for new students. Phone: 603-862-3537. General questions can be directed to Laura Haight: firstname.lastname@example.org
College of Life Sciences and Agriculture (COLSA): contact the initial advising contact listed on your admit letter. You may also visit the transfer advisor website to find the advisor for your major to schedule an appointment by phone.
College of Health and Human Services (CHHS): a representative from the dean’s office will contact students who are admitted to CHHS but have not registered for classes.
Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics (Paul): advisors will work with students who have not registered by phone/email to finalize schedules.
- Hamilton Smith Hall will be the primary location for registration and most orientation activities.
- Multiple rooms will be used, so please follow the signs at the main entrance to Hamilton Smith Hall on Main Street.
- Light refreshments will be provided in the morning during check-in.
- Lunch will be provided.
- Yes! The morning session provides some valuable overview information.
- Academic advising in the afternoon will allow you the opportunity to discuss your interests, understand your schedule, and learn more about the program.
- Your UNH ID picture is taken during orientation.
- If you don’t attend orientation, you can get your ID picture taken just before or after the first day of classes in January.
If there is a snow cancellation on January 6, the orientation program will be rescheduled to January 10. We will notify you by email so please remember to check your email often for the latest updates. You may also visit my.unh.edu for cancellation notices or call the weather line at 603-862-0000 for confirmation.
- Contact the Admissions Office for a copy of your confirmation email.
- Parking permits are not required in Edgewood lot or campus crossing for this event.
Parking permits for commuter students are available at Transportation Services following the orientation program.
UNH Bookstore will be open on January 6 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Directions and Parking
Parking will be available in Edgewood Road Visitor Lot for new students attending the New Student Orientation. We recommend arriving at least 15 minutes early to allow ample time for parking and getting to Hamilton-Smith Hall for check-in at 9:00 a.m.
Edgewood Lot Driving Directions
Use the map for driving directions from your location. Make sure to exit at Route 155A to access parking easily. Instructions for campus are below:
- Continue onto Main Street towards Downtown Durham.
- At the traffic circle, continue straight to stay on Main Street.
- Proceed down Main Street for 0.5 miles and then turn left onto Edgewood Road.
- Edgewood Road Visitor Lot is on the left.