Memorial Room Windows
The Artist — Professor John Hatch
The windows in the MUB's Memorial Room were designed by UNH Art Professor John Hatch. Hatch taught at UNH from 1949 - 1985 and was best known as a painter of landscapes.
When plans were being made in the 1950’s for the construction of building and the Memorial Room, John Hatch was honored with the opportunity to design a tribute window. Having served in World War II in the Pacific campaign, he was a perfect choice. It was the only window Hatch ever made although he painted murals throughout the University and in other public buildings. Today, the windows are a revered piece of public art on the UNH campus
The window was manufactured by and funded through a grant from Monsanto Chemical Company in Detroit, with the help of Stanley King, class of ’26, who was then director of sales. The only of its kind in the world, the window uses safety glass and required the development of a new paint pigment that was lightfast, translucent and strong in color. For the pigment to have a translucent quality, it needed to be ground for 70 hours. Each panel of optically ground glass is ¼ of an inch thick, and made of of three sheets of plastics and a film of paint sandwiched between two panes of glass.
After Hatch's death in 1998, the original models he made of the windows were bequeathed to the Memorial Union Building and have been placed on display outside the Memorial Room.