The University of New Hampshire Parents Council exists to forge connections and advance initiatives in support of student success on campus and after graduation while “friendraising” to help keep the University of New Hampshire strong and growing.
- Ease the transition to UNH for incoming students and their parents/guardians through welcome events and information sharing.
- Add value to the student experience through grants, prizes, the Undergraduate Research Conference, select advocacy initiatives and participation in career networking.
- Forge connections and help provide opportunities to solidify bonds between parents, their students and the many facets of UNH on and off campus (through Family Weekend, social media, off campus UNH gatherings, etc.).
What is the Parents Council?
When your student chose to attend the University of New Hampshire, they became members of the UNH Family—its traditions, accomplishments, alumni, administration, faculty and students. As their champion and chief supporter, so did you.
The Parents Council gives parents an opportunity to be more involved in advancing student success at UNH.
Focused on helping to maximize student success in a variety of ways, the UNH Parents Council is dedicated to building and maintaining positive connections between parents, students and UNH while keeping parents informed and giving them a voice on campus.
It is also your chance to gain an insider’s view of the University and the people who shape your student’s education and experiences while developing deeper bonds with the school, your fellow parents, students and the resources and staff who help advance student success.
What we do
The Parents Council meets on campus four times each year*. Meeting agendas include discussion, planning, informative speakers from campus groups such as the Career and Professional Success, University Advising Center, Health & Wellness and Campus Recreation and “field trips” to various locations on campus.
Each Parents Council member serves on at least one of the following standing committees and participates on conference calls as needed to complete committee initiatives between meetings.
- Student Enrichment: Members select Parents Council grant recipients and Parents Council prize recipients; Also serve as Undergraduate Research Conference judges
- Campus Connections: Members assist staff in planning on-campus programs for parents such as Family Weekend, Parent Receptions, forums with faculty and administration leadership, etc.
- University Relations: Members serve as liaison to the Alumni Association, Admissions, Career Services and the various colleges, networking to include parents in all relevant University engagement
- Communications: Members serve as editorial advisors for the Parents’ e-newsletter and web page as well as moderators of the Facebook parents group (@unh parents). Members also drive content direction for the Parents Facebook and Instagram feeds (@UNHParents) and provide support with PR and promotional materials for Council initiatives
If you have questions about the Parents Council or would like to join, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.