Xtender: Install pdfFactory Pro
This tip is for anyone who would like to use pdfFactory Pro to create PDFs, whether you use Xtender or not.
pdfFactory Pro is a print driver which you install on your computer. Once installed, you can create a PDF as easily as you would print a document to paper. pdfFactory Pro is often used by Xtender users, but it is not part of Xtender and you do not need to have an Xtender account to use it.
UNH has a site license for pdfFactory Pro, which means that you can use it without any additional cost to your department.
Here’s how to install it:
- Open a browser window
- In the address line, type \\baxter.unh.edu and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- A network folder will open, listing lots and lots of printers.
- Right-click on the PDF_Factory_Pro printer and select Connect…
- That’s it. The driver is installed on your computer and you should be able to use pdfFactory Pro to “print” documents to PDF. To use, select pdfFactory Pro as your printer when you print a document.
Sometimes, you aren’t able to connect to the PDF_Factory_Pro printer. If you have that problem, try the steps below to work around the issue. If you try this work-around and still can’t get pdfFactory Pro installed, please contact the UNH IT Service Desk (862-4242).
If you can’t connect to pdfFactory Pro from \\baxter.unh.edu, try this:
- From the Start menu, open Devices and Printers
- Click Add a printer button
- Choose Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer
- Choose The printer I want isn’t listed
- Choose Select a shared printer by name and type \\baxter\ . As you type a drop-down will appear. Select PDF_Factory_Pro from that list.
- Click the Next button. You should see a message that you’ve successfully added pdfFactory Pro. Click the Next button, and then the Finish button.
For more tips on using Xtender, visit http://www.usnhgateway.org/ >> Documentation >> Xtender. Or, search for Xtender right here in the UNH IT Knowledge Base.
If you have questions, please complete an online Document Management technical support form at https://itsupport.unh.edu/docmanagement/ or call the IT Service Desk at (603) 862-4242.