myCourses Cross-List/Combine Course
In myCourses instructors are able to combine multiple course sections to deliver all course content using a single course. This is called 'Cross-Listing' and the steps below walk you through how to do this. These steps must be followed for each section that needs to be combined.
1. Identify which course will be the ‘Master’ course where all content and students will reside
2. Navigate to the course that is not the master and will be combined into the master course
3. In the non-master course, click on ‘Settings’ in the bottom left of the course menu
4. Click on the ‘Sections’ tab at the top of the settings area
5. You will see a title of ‘Course Sections’ with a section name listed underneath as a blue hyperlink
6. Click on the section name hyper link and the section details opens showing the current enrollments
7. Click on the gray, ‘Cross-list this section’ button at the right side of the page and a pop-up opens
8. Begin typing the name or ID of the master course and select the appropriate option as it appears
9. Click on the blue, ‘Cross-List this Section’ button at the bottom of the pop-up
10. Navigate back to the master course and you will now see both sections listed in the settings area. You will also notice that the course you added to the master has disappeared from your course list
11. It is recommended that you can change the course display name to include the name and ID all the sections. Go to Settings, then select the Course Details tab. Enter or Edit the course name in the Name and the Course Code fields. The course display name is what your students see on their myCourses view.
The cross-listed courses will default to the name and ID of the master course unless you manually change it.
- Only cross-list courses that have no student activity. If you cross-list courses after students have submitted assignments or discussion posts and have been graded, then the submission will be removed and may not be recoverable.
- Courses are cross-listed one at a time. If you have multiple sections to cross-list, follow the steps above for each course.
- Courses can be cross-listed prior to student enrollment.
- Course content can be imported into the course either before or after the course is cross-listed.
Here is a link to the myCourses guides for additional details about combining sections.
Does this article need to be edited or updated? Please contact us.