myCourses Create and send email
myCourses: create and send email
This article describes how to use the Inbox (email) tool from your myCourses course site.
The Inbox (email) found on the Global Navigation bar, allows you to communicate with the students who are enrolled in your course. The email tool functionality is similar to most email tools you currently use. There are a few features that you should be aware of that will allow you to use it effectively.
The email tool is only available during that specific semester that your course is offered and for published courses. At the end of the semester the course is closed and the ability to email students in that course is no longer available.
This email tool sends and receives all emails that originate from the myCourses email tool and maintains a copy in the myCourses database. When a new email is created in the myCourses "Inbox", an additional email is sent to your default myCourses email address (i.e. wildcats.unh.edu or UNH exchange email.) The advantage to receiving this copy to your UNH or wildcats email is so that you can have a dialog with your students or instructor without having to login to the myCourses course site. If you don't want to receive these emails to your UNH or wildcats email, then go to the Notifications settings and turn off the option to receive "Conversations" notifications.
For information about how to change your Notification settings, read this article myCourses: Notification Preferences and Settings
Also, please be aware that when you are replying to a myCourses email from your UNH or another email source outside of myCourses that attached files will NOT be received by the recipient. If you or your students are sending file attachments through email, please be sure to login to myCourses and attach the file in the email through the "Inbox". See this KB article for more details. myCourses Strips Attached Files from Email (Known Issue)
To Send email:
- Login to myCourses, at mycourses.unh.edu.
- Select Inbox on the Global Navigation on the left side.
- Select the mail icon to compose a new message.
- In the courses drop down menu, select the course where you would like to send the message.
- Add recipients to the message using the contacts icon to the right of the TO: field, or by typing the name of the student. The contacts icon allows you to filter your contact list by students, faculty, sections or groups.
- If you would like the recipients of your email not to see each others name, then select the "Send an individual email to each recipient".
- Type your subject and message.
- Click Send.
- The email is sent to the myCourses inbox, as well as a notification copy to the recipient's school default email.
- Your course must be published in order for students to receive your email.
- You can reply to emails directly from your outside email. If you include an attachment from the outside email, it is stripped off and the recipient will not receive the attached document.