Kaltura: Media Gallery
A Media Gallery is a page within a course used for sharing video and audio. The gallery will display all media uploaded by instructors and students (student uploads can be set to require approval). Each course has its own Media Gallery.
How to enable the Media Gallery within myCourses:
How to upload or create media within the Media Gallery:
Please refer to Kaltura: Upload or Create Media.
How to manage the Media Gallery, prevent student uploads, and run analytics:
Refer to the following excerpts from the official Kaltura documentation:
Managing a Media Gallery:
By default, users with Teacher role in a Canvas course can manage the course Media Gallery. As the manager, you can perform actions that other users enrolled to the course cannot.
These actions include:
- Configuring settings and setting the description for the Media Gallery
- Moderating the content added to the Media Gallery
- Removing content from the Media Gallery
- Access the Media Gallery Analytics page
NOTE: By default a Teaching Assistant in Canvas is a Media Gallery moderator and can moderate content added to the Media Gallery
All users enrolled to the course can:
- View approves content
- Browse and search the Media Gallery
- Add Media (pending the instructor's moderation)
- Remove media they have added
To edit a Media Gallery configuration and metadata (available to Course Instructors)
- In the Media Gallery, select Edit from the Actions drop down menu.
The Edit Media Gallery page is displayed.
- (Optional) Enter a description and tags for the Media Gallery of the course.
Moderate Content (Media will not appear in Media Gallery until approved by the faculty) - Determines whether content should be moderated.
Enable comments in Media Gallery - Determines whether comments should be enabled in the gallery.
Keep comments private to Media Gallery - If checked, all comments added to media in Media Gallery will be private to the Media Gallery and will not appear elsewhere (except for the My Media page of the user who owns the media).
- Click Save.
Publishing Media to a Media Gallery
You can publish existing media or upload new content.
To publish existing media to a Media Gallery
- Click the + Add Media button.
- Filter your content.
Viewing Media Gallery Analytics
Teachers can access the Media Gallery Analytics page to view different engagement reports for students enrolled in a course.
To view the Analytics page
- In the media gallery, click Actions and then Analytics.
The Media Gallery Analytics page is displayed showing the Analytics Dashboard.
The Dashboard presents a summary of the available analytics. For example,
- Top Engaged Users - who are the users who viewed most content
- Top Contributors - who are the users who contributed most content
Types of Media Analytics Reports
The analytics page is composed of the following types of video analytics reports.
- Media Analytics Report
- Engagement Analytics Report
- Contribution Analytics Report
You can access a detailed report for each entry in a Media, Engagement or Contribution report.
Media Analytics Report
The media analytics report lists all the content available in the course Media Gallery. For each media entry, the number of plays is displayed, total view time, average view time and the average drop-off rate.
Engagement Analytics Report
The engagement analytics report lists all the users enrolled to the course that have viewed at least one video from the Media Gallery. For each user, the total view time, average view time and average drop-off rate are presented.
Contribution Analytics Report
The contribution analytics report lists all the users that contributed content to the Media Gallery
To view Media, Engagement and Contribution Reports
1. From the Media Gallery Analytics page, select the desired report by clicking its corresponding tab.
Detailed Analytics Reports
To view a detailed entry report
- From the Media Gallery Analytics page, select the desired report by clicking its corresponding tab.
- Click on the + sign next to the entry.
The detailed entry analytics reports depend on the type of report you selected.
Media Detailed Entry Report
The Media detailed entry report displays the list of all the users that viewed the selected media entry.
Engagement Detailed Entry Report
The Engagement detailed entry report displays the list of all the media entries viewed by the selected user.
Contribution Detailed Entry Report
The Contribution detailed entry report lists all media contributed by the selected user.
Printing Analytics Reports
To print a report
- In a report or detailed entry report, click the Printable Version button. A new browser tab with a printable report version is displayed
- Click Print to print the page.
Exporting Analytics Reports to A CSV
To export a report to CSV
1. In a report or detailed entry report, click the Export to CSV button. Depending on your browser definitions you may be prompted to save the file to a local directory.
Fore more assistance, please call the IT Help Desk at 603-862-4242.