Kaltura Capture: Getting Started
This article will cover the following within Kaltura Capture:
- Launching the Application
- Recording Options
- Create a Recording
- Cancelling your Recording
- Completing and Uploading your Recording
- Hiding the Application
- Exiting the Application
To launch the Kaltura Capture Application, navigate to My Media within myCourses or MediaSpace.
Click on the Add New button, then Kaltura Capture.
First time users will need to download/install the program. You will be provided download links if that's the case. Otherwise, the program should start automatically.
The Kaltura Capture Recorder is displayed.
By default, all recording inputs are configured to the optimal quality available, so you can start recording. If you would like to change the default input settings, camera, screen or audio, please see our article on Advanced Settings.
To create a recording
- Click the red button to start recording.
- You will see a 3 second count down and then your recording will start.
- When the recording begins, the duration of your recording is displayed in the Recording Menu.
You can cancel your recording at any time. Cancelling a recording will discard it and the recording will not be saved.
To cancel the recording and remove the video
- Click on the “X” sign on the right of the Recording button.
A cancellation confirmation is displayed to allow you to either cancel or continue with the recording, or click No to go back to your recording.
Completing Your Recording
After you click the "stop" button you will be directed to the entry page. If you clicked stop by mistake, you can always click Cancel and you will be returned to your recording in a paused state. If you want to complete the recording, enter the following information and click save:
- Title of the recording
Select one of the following options:
- Delete to delete your entry.
- Save and Upload to upload to My Media within myCourses and MediaSpace.
- Save to save to your local Library only. You will be able to upload at a later time from your media library.
- Start a new recording - you will be prompted with a confirmation that you indeed want to leave.
When you Save a recording without uploading it, the Management window opens with the Edit tab and displays the options to Upload or Delete your media.
An upload progress bar is displayed and a successful upload message appears when the upload is completed.
Saving and Uploading Your Recording
After you “Stop” recording, the following message is displayed.
The process of uploading your recording to My Media is seamless.
The following message is displayed:
The final message that your recording was saved successfully is displayed.
All the recorded videos are stored locally in your Recordings directory. If you have not changed the Recordings directory during the installation, the default recording directory is C:\ProgramFiles\Kaltura\Capture\Recordings on Windows, and [HOME DIRECTORY]/Library/Preferences/Kaltura/Capture/Recordings on Mac.
Your recording is automatically uploaded to your Kaltura My Media collection.
Closing Personal Capture While There is an Upload Running in the Background
You may close the application in the midst of an upload.The following warning message will be displayed:
Select No to close the confirmation popup. Select Yes to quit and close the confirmation popup, exit the application, and stop the upload. If you do stop the upload, they will restart the next time you open Kaltura Capture.
- Right click on the Kaltura Capture icon and select Show or Hide.
Hiding the application does not exit the application.
- In your Taskbar or Dock, right click on the Kaltura Capture application icon.
- Select Quit to exit the application.
For further support, please contact the IT Service Desk at 603-862-4242.