Kaltura: An Overview
Kaltura is a tool that allows instructors and students to upload video/audio files to a course. The media files can then be viewed using a streaming media player right on the course page. It is also possible to create webcam recordings, screen recordings, and video quizzes. Kaltura can even be used to submit media assignments.
Features of Kaltura:
- Upload video and audio files to your course for streaming playback
- Create webcam recordings
- Create screen recordings
- Create interactive video quizzes
- Collect video and audio assignments from your students
Kaltura can be found within myCourses (Canvas) and can be used in a few different ways. Click on any of the following to learn more.
- Media Gallery: Each course on myCourses has its own Media Gallery. This is a place where instructors and students can upload or view media. Instructors can require approval for student uploads if desired. The Media Gallery is a simple but less organized method for integrating media into your course.
- Embed Media: Video and audio files can be embedded into a page, discussion board post, assignment, or any other area that allows the use of the Rich Text Editor. This feature is available for instructors and students. Embedding Kaltura media allows instructors to present audio and video to their students in a very structured way.
- My Media: A link to My Media can be added to any course. When a user visits My Media they will see all video and audio files they have uploaded in the past, regardless of the course. A user will only see the media that they have uploaded. My Media is a great tool for searching through, editing, or deleting your audio and video files.
Recommended Browsers for Using Kaltura
Please refer to the official Kaltura documentation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if the My Upload page says that there was an error when publishing my media?
Check to see if the file type meets these requirements:
Video: FLV, F4V, MOV, MP4, QT, M4V, AVI, 3GP, ASF, WMV, MPG, M1V, M2V, MKV, Ogg, RM, and WEB
Audio: MP3, MP1, AC3, AAC, Vorbis, AMR, PCM, WMA7/8/9, WMSpeech, FLAC, QDM2, RA, Nellymoser, Cook, GSM, and SPEEX
Make sure you are on a strong Internet connection. If your device has a weak Wi-Fi signal you may experience problems. Use an Ethernet cable rather than Wi-Fi for faster speeds.
Why isn't Kaltura loading? I can't see anything!
- Check the list of Recommended Browsers for Kaltura and see if your browser is compatible.
- Update your browser to the latest version.
- Make sure the latest version of Adobe Flash Player is installed on your computer.
- Make sure your browser is not blocking Flash.
Why doesn't my course have links for Media Gallery or My Media?
Links for these features can be added to your course's sidebar or to a module. Please visit this link for more information.
I uploaded a file to the Media Gallery but it's not showing up!
If you are a student and cannot see your upload, it probably means that your instructor has enabled "moderate content" within the Media Gallery. This means that student uploads will need to be approved by the instructor before they become visible to the rest of the class. You can visit My Media to see your previous uploads and verify that your media was uploaded successfully.
I want to use a piece of media in another course. Do I need to upload the file a second time?
No! When adding media to a course, you will have the opportunity to re-submit a past upload without needing to upload a second time.
I want to share ownership of my video with another user.
I want to use my former student's upload in my current course. How do I access their file?
For more information view the Official Kaltura Support Site or call (603) 862-4242.