Configuring Macs to print to the Student Computing Cluster printing system
Consider Web Print First
While the instructions below do work, we recommend for most users to use the Web Print service instead. Web Print allows easy printing of Office documents, PDFs, and more without having to setup printer drivers and other configurations on your own computer.
Please visit print.unh.edu to use Web Print.
The printers in the Clusters, Libraries, and elsewhere on campus are available for anyone who would like to use them. We encourage students, especially laptop users, to setup queues to the Clusters printers so that you can easily print out your work and pick it up wherever you are around campus. If you print from your computer to the Clusters print queue, your print job will appear on the print station computers around campus. See the exact locations below. Simply select your job, pay for it, and it will print out wherever you are.
Note that you must pay for your print job within 2 hours of submitting it to the queue, or it will be deleted automatically.
Assistance with setting up the queues, printing, or retrieving your jobs is available from the AT Support Center in Dimond Library.
Setup and Use Instructions for Mac OS X
Installing the Dell 5130cdn Driver
The majority of the managed printer we have installed, including all of the ones in the Clusters and Dimond Libraries are Dell Color Laser 5130cdn printers. As such, you should use this driver for the Clusters queue. If you regularly print to a managed printer that is not a Dell 5130cdn and you discover issues with your printouts, you may wish to use a driver for that model printer instead, but try the Dell 5130cdn driver first.
- Download the Dell 5130cdn Color Laser printer driver.
- If it does not open and mount automatically, open the Dell_5130cdn_Installer.dmg disk image file that you just downloaded.
- Double-click the Dell 5130cdn Installer to install the printer driver on your computer.
- Enter an Administrator username and password when prompted to authenticate the installer.
- Proceed through the installer accepting the default options.
Adding the Clusters Queue
To print from Mac computers, you must be on a wired UNH Ethernet connection or you must have a secure UNH wireless network connection. For a wired connection, there is nothing special to do. Just have your Ethernet cable be plugged in. For a wireless connection, you must either use the "UNH-Secure" wireless network or the UNH VPN service. You can also print from off-campus if connected to UNH VPN service.
- Open System Preferences and select the Print & Scanners preference pane. Click the '+' button at the bottom of the list to start adding a new printer.
- Select IP from the toolbar at the top of the window to add a IP-based printer queue.
- Make sure that the Protocol selection is set to Line Printer Daemon - LPD.
- For the Address, enter snuffy.unh.edu.
- For the Queue, enter Clusters.
- Enter Clusters for the Name of the queue. You can leave the Location field blank.
- In the Print Using field, select the Select a driver to use... or Select Printer Software... option.
- In the new section of the dialog that appears, locate the Dell 5130cdn Color Laser v3018.102 PS driver. Note that you can search on Dell to locate this quickly.
- Click the Add button to create the new printer queue.
- When prompted for Installable Options, leave the settings on the defaults and click the Continue button.
Using the Clusters Queue
When you are ready to print a document, first make sure you have an appropriate network connection! You must either be using a wired connection plugged into a UNH Ethernet port in a Library, dorm, Cluster, or other location. For wireless networking, you must either use the "UNH-Secure" wireless network or the UNH VPN service. You can also print from off-campus if connected to UNH VPN service. Keep in mind the 2 hour limit to retrieve your printout.
The Clusters queue will allow you to print either black-and-white or color print outs. By default, the queue is set to print in color! Note that color printing costs more (50 cents versus 10 cents) so you will probably want to switch to black printing for most jobs.
When you are ready to print a document, select the Print command. Then, make sure the Printer is set to the Clusters queue is selected. To see all of the printing options, click the button with a down arrow 'V' button next to the print name.
To access the color versus black settings, select the Print Features item from the pop-up menu of printing settings. The Output Color selection can be changed to either Color or Black.
To quickly change this setting in the future, we recommend that you use the Presets feature of the OS X printing dialog to save presets. For example, set the Output Color to Black and then click the Presets pop-up menu and choose Save As... to save a black and white preset. You can create as many presets for different combinations of printing settings as you like. Then, simply use the Presets selections in the future to switch configurations.
You can find the current list of locations were you can access the Clusters queues in the knowledge base article about Web Print .