Accessing a Shared Mailbox in Outlook on the Web
This article is intended for users with an Exchange Online mailbox in Office 365 to set up new accounts, or change configuration of a recently migrated mailbox from exchange.unh.edu to Exchange Online.
Accessing a shared mailbox in Outlook on the Web
A shared mailbox makes it easy for a group of people to monitor and send email from a public email address, like Info.email@example.com. When a person in the group replies to a message sent to the shared mailbox, their reply appears to come from the shared address, not from the individual person. You can also use the shared mailbox as a shared team calendar.
Tip: Before you can use a shared mailbox, a UNH mail admin must create it and add you as a member.
Add the shared mailbox so it displays under your primary mailbox
If you want to monitor the email from your primary mailbox and the shared mailbox at the same time, use this method. In addition, after you complete this task, the shared mailbox and its folders are displayed in the left navigation pane each time you open Exchange Online.
- Sign in to your account in Exchange Online.
- Right-click the name of your primary mailbox (such as Molly Dempsey ) in the left navigation pane, and then choose Add shared folder.
- In the Add shared folder dialog box, type the name or email address of someone who has shared a mailbox with you, and then click Add . Or, type the name of the shared mailbox you are a member of, such as Info.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The shared mailbox displays in your Folder list in Exchange Online. You can expand or collapse the shared mailbox folders as you can with your primary mailbox. You also can remove the shared mailbox from your Folder list. To remove it, right-click the shared mailbox, and then click Remove shared folder .
Open the shared mailbox in a separate browser window
Use this method if you want to view and manage the email for the shared mailbox in its own browser window.
- Sign in to your account in Exchange Online.
- On the Exchange Online navigation bar, click your name. A list appears.
- Click Open another mailbox .
- Type the email address of the other mailbox that you want to open and then click Open . Another Exchange Online session opens in a separate window, allowing access to the other mailbox.
Tip: If you mistype the email address of the mailbox, the result is "No match was found". Try retyping the email address.
Send email from the shared mailbox
- Choose New above the folder list. A new message form opens in the reading pane.
- Choose the more arrow at the bottom of the message, and then choose Show From .
This option shows you that the people who receive the email message will see it comes from the shared mailbox and not from your own email account.
- The first time you use the shared mailbox, you need to add the address to the From drop down box:
Right-click on the From address - such as Ina@weewalter.me - and choose Remove .
- Then type the shared address such as email@example.com. The next time you reply from the shared mailbox, its address will appear as an option in the From drop down.
Reply to mail sent to the shared mailbox
The first time you reply to a message sent to the shared mailbox, you need to add the shared address to the From drop down box. Here's how to do that:
- Open Exchange Online and go to your shared mailbox.
- Open a message that was sent to the shared address.
- Click Reply.
- At the bottom of the message, click the More arrow > Show from.
- Right-click on the From address - such as Ina@weewalter.me - and click Remove.
Use the shared calendar
One of the great things about using a shared mailbox is that anyone who has access to the shared mailbox also has full access to the calendar. You can create, edit, and delete events in the calendar. Use the shared calendar just as you would use your own calendar. Here's a short list of things you can do with the shared mailbox calendar:
- Let your team know when you're going on vacation or when you’ll be out of the office.
- Create a team meeting.
- Edit a calendar event that someone else created.
- Cancel a meeting that someone else created.
To access the shared calendar, do the following:
- Sign in to your mailbox using Exchange Online, and then select Cal endar .
- Right-click OTHER CALENDARS , and then click Open calendar .
- In the From Directory box, search for the shared calendar you want to open. Select the shared mailbox you want to open, and then click Open .
- The shared calendar displays in your Calendar folder list.