Staff Recognition Program
UNH's Staff Recognition program is an annual celebration to express the university's appreciation and acknowledgement of our staff achieving milestone years of service, and who contribute so vitally to the mission and strategic plan success of the University of New Hampshire, year after year.
All members of the UNH community are welcome to attend and join our staff celebrating their milestone years of service!
During this program, UNH also recognizes and celebrates our staff selected as this year's award recipients of the Presidential Award of Excellence.
For our staff being recognized for milestone years of service, their invitation to this annual program includes a luncheon by UNH Hospitality Services (for our staff being recognized only), followed by the remainder of the day off with pay. This 1/2 day may be taken on the day of the event or another coordinated date and time, supported by the employee's supervisor, based on department staffing needs.
- How are milestone anniversary years calculated?
Each year, calculations are made based on a cut off of May 31st beginning with 10 years of service, followed by every 5 years after that.
- I am a manager and one of my direct reports is reaching a milestone this year. Am I supposed to do something for them in person? Am I supposed to buy a separate gift for them?
Managers are strongly encouraged to help UNH recognize service anniversaries with a few sincere words of thanks and appreciation - in a written note, at a 1:1 meeting, or with a "shout out" at a regularly scheduled staff meeting. As in any professional relationship, it is your time and attention that means the most. There is no need to buy a separate gift. In fact, it is discouraged as gifts have already been selected to fall below IRS taxability thresholds.
- I believe I should have been picked up for recognition this year but did not receive my letter of invitation. What should I do?
Please contact the Human Resources office at 862-0519 and we can verify your hire dates used for calculation.
- I can't take off a 1/2 day on the program date due to my current workload and staffing needs in my department. What should I do?
Work with your supervisor to identify a more appropriate time off later in the month that works better for the department and your own personal calendar.
- Can I exchange my gift for a monetary award, a gift card or a donation to a charity?
No, due to IRS guidelines and taxation implications we can not change the recognition gift to a monetary amount, gift card or charity donation.
- I celebrated my 10 year anniversary a few years ago and I don't remember getting a gift. Can I get it now?
No, we are sorry but we are unable to supply recognition gifts for previous milestone years.