- Assist department chair in daily administrative functions and with undergraduate and graduate program operations, including scheduling and faculty assignments.
- Manage all main office operations of the department.
- Assist departmental faculty in academic matters in such areas as reviewing academic records, international student issues, and course assignments.
- Coordinate all academic advising for students and prospective students in the department.
- Train and provide consultation to faculty advisors; advise undergraduate students with majors in department.
- Write and edit department program informational materials and present informational programs to students.
- Assemble data, prepare administrative reports and handle communications for Department Chair as requested.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate staff as assigned.
- Coordinate faculty recruitment and hiring, including tenure track and other instructional faculty.
- Provide initial contact for prospective students and parents and orientation for students in department majors as assigned.
- Coordinate graduate assistantships and compliance with laboratory research issues.
- Review and recommend changes in internal operating and academic procedures, as necessary.
- Assist in resolving problems and responding to questions concerning academic department.
- Coordinate departmental information and processes with various campus departments.
- Perform related duties, as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Master’s degree and five years of related experience in higher education.
- Academic advising experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience with student information systems.
- Supervisory experience.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Degree(s) in field which is related to department to which assigned.
- Administrative experience gained in the school or college to which assigned.
System Approval: 3/30/01
Effective Date: 2/5/01
This document is a generic classification specification of the University System of New Hampshire. Its purpose is to describe the representative responsibilities and general level of complexity, and it is not a substitute for the specific job description of the individual position.