Fall 2020 Move-In
This year our move-in is complicated by the ongoing pandemic and our need to ensure student/family/community safety by physical distancing and keeping a low density of people entering our residential facilities. For that reason, the experience this fall will be much different than our traditional first-year and returning student move-ins. We will be implementing a two phased move-in process, spanning a three week period from August 12 to August 30.
Our first phase is the Early Drop-Off of personal belongings. Residents from within 4 hours of campus need to drop off belongings in their room/apartment prior to moving in during Arrival Move-In Week. The second phase is our Arrival Move-In where students will return to campus to begin their occupancy. There is comprehensive information about each phase below.
Please continue to watch for further messages and information concerning room assignments, drop-off logistics and move-in procedures on your UNH Wildcat email account.
Phase 1 - Early Drop-Off Weeks
All students who live within a four-hour driving distance to UNH will be required to move their personal belongings into their residence hall/on-campus apartment on one of the 10 days we have set up in August. Students who live outside the four-hour driving distance who would like to participate in this Early Drop Off are welcome to do so as well. During these 1.5 hour drop-off appointments, students (with limited family involvement) will be able to set-up their room as time permits. This Early Drop Off eliminates the typical move-in day congestion. When students return on their move-in/arrival date and time (made by appointment) everything will be in your room ready for you, except for the small amount of belongings you bring with you on your scheduled move-in/arrival time. The drop-off periods will be self-scheduled into pre-set appointments to ensure the safety of our students and families, and to keep the density of population in our halls at established guidelines.
Early Drop-Off Periods (self-scheduled appointments)
Week One - Wednesday - Sunday, August 12 - 16
Week Two - Wednesday - Sunday, August 19 - 23
- Self-scheduled appointments for Early Drop Off will be 1.5 hours in length.
- This Early Drop Off appointment allows students and limited family to bring personal belongings into your room, set-up room (as time allows) and then depart.
- Students should talk to their roommate before they arrive to coordinate who is bringing what so there is no duplication of purchases and items in the room.
- Roommates are not able to schedule early drop-off at the same time; this supports maximize social distancing.
- No one will be spending the night in the halls during the Early Drop Off period.
- Residents and family members will be expected to wear face coverings inside all campus buildings. The only place you are not expected to wear a face covering is in a room/apartment.
- An email with information about Early Drop-Off appointments will be sent to the student's UNH Wildcat email account the week of July 20, 2020.
Phase 2 - Arrival Move-In Week
After the Early Drop Off period, UNH will hold an official Arrival Week over five days from August 25 - August 30. Arrival Week is when residents will return to campus with minimal belongings, are briefly dropped off, and begin occupying their room and start Fall Semester. Students who have participated in the Early Drop-Off will self-schedule the arrival appointments, which are 30 minutes in length. Wildcat Welcome Crew will be available to help students move in during arrival week. No family or accompanying people are permitted in our residence halls and on-campus apartments during Arrival Week. Only students residing in the halls will be able to enter the buildings. Students who were unable to participate in the in Early Drop-Off will be accommodated but their families will not be allowed in the building. The main Arrival Week times and dates will be self-scheduled into pre-set appointments to ensure the safety of our students/families/community and to keep the density of population in our halls at established guidelines.
First Year Move-In (self-scheduled appointments)
Tuesday, August 25 - Thursday, August 27
Returners to Residence Halls Move-In (self-scheduled appointments)
Mills Hall, Friday, August 28 through Sunday, August 30
All Other Halls, Saturday, August 29 and Sunday, August 30
On-Campus Apartment Move-In (self-scheduled appointments)
Friday, August 28 through Sunday, August 30
- No parents, family or friends will be allowed in Housing facilities during these arrival time appointments.
- Students who did not participate in early-drop off will be accommodated, but families will not be allowed in residential facilities.
- Residents will be expected to wear face coverings inside all campus buildings. The only place you are not expected to wear a face covering is in a room/apartment.
- An email with information about Arrival Week appointments will be sent to the student's UNH Wildcat email account the week of July 20, 2020.
Some of the Things We are Working On
- Assigning students to only doubles and singles
- Determining elevator protocols to maintain physical distance
- Developing protocols for floor bathroom use
- Developing protocols for outdoor spaces and sports courts
- Determining protocols for residence hall kitchen use
- Maximizing outdoor spaces for student use and hanging out
- Planning for virtual meetings with our residential students
- Developing a Fall Move-In plan with safety as our first priority
- Implementing plans for cleaning and sanitizing all residential facilities
- Communicating with our residential students about expectations
- Training our staff in preparation for Fall Move-In and the first months of school
- Publishing updated FAQs
- Implementing community activities that ensure physical distancing
- Developing virtual programming that will help students meet new people
- Ensuring our Public Health Campaign is very visible in all our residential facilities