Common Questions

Built-up Rooms

Built-up triples:

We will begin reassigning some students from built-up triples to other rooms as space becomes available throughout the fall semester.  If you do not move during the fall semester but wish to move for the spring, you may choose to participate in the mid-year room change process which begins towards the end of November.  You may also choose to remain with your roommates for second semester.  Please keep in mind that you will be charged the reduced built-up triple rate only during the time that your room is occupied by three students. If one of your roommates moves out of the room for any reason at any time (including mid-semester), causing the built-up triple to be converted to a double, your housing charge will be prorated to the double rate at that time.  If you are the person who moves, your bill will also be prorated to reflect the new room assignment.

By living in a built-up triple for just one semester, you will save between $682 - $742 (as compared to a double or suite double). Reduced rate only applies when there are three of you living in the room.

Built-up rooms differ from hall to hall. Every room will have a desk, chair, bureau, and bed for each person living there. Each student also has his or her own Internet connection. Students share wardrobe space.

UNH has a policy of housing all first year students who request to live on campus. When requests exceed available space, we extend the capacity of some of our rooms; double rooms to house three students (built-up triple), triple rooms to house four students (built-up quad), and study lounges into residential spaces housing 1-5 people (built-up lounge).

Rooms are assigned by an automated assignment process, which places all first-year students who have submitted their application by the deadline. The process incorporates your individual preferences, but with thousands of students all promised a space on campus, we can’t always give everyone their top choices.

The rooms were all evaluated to ensure that the furnishings would fit in the available space, but if you are planning on bringing a big screen TV, puffy chair, and futon, you might find the space limited. Storage space is limited to the shared closet and under the beds, so we recommend bringing only what you need. In some rooms, the furniture is built-in, but in most it can be rearranged. There is no additional storage space in the halls and all furniture must remain in the room.

Cable TV

If you have gone through the steps in this FAQ, and you are still having problems, fill out a Repair Request (building numbers can be found under Maintenance & Damage Billing), or contact the Catvision Office at 862-2253, or send us an e-mail at

Yes, the UNH Catvision cable system is completely digital. Make sure your TV has a QAM tuner or it will not work!

Some TVs and VCRs require the original remote control to access the on-screen programming features that are used to put it in CABLE mode. While you can purchase a universal programmable replacement, it may not allow you to access the unit's special programming features. Consult your owner's manual and, if necessary, call the manufacturer to order a replacement remote control. 

The UNH Catvision does not sell or give out remote controls.


Check with your floormates to verify that there is not a larger outage, but rather a problem with your cable TV jack, coaxial cable, or television. If the problem is common among all of your floor mates, call 862-2253 to report the problem.
If your floormates are not having problems:
•    Make sure all of the cables are properly and securely attached.
•    Verify that your TV has a built in QAM tuner, and that your TV has been auto-programmed to receive digital signals.  
If all else fails, then try using a different cable. If you still have no service, then call 862-2253, and we will set up an appointment to diagnose and remedy the problem.


First Year Sign-up

Most singles are filled by returning students. Typically, there are not enough singles for all first-year students who request them. If that is your preference, please explain your reason in the notes section and we will take it into consideration. 

We would love to try and help you! To get the ball rolling, be sure to include your desire for an LGBTQ friendly roommate in the notes section of your on-line housing application. When we receive information that a student would like an LGBTQ friendly roommate, we will keep track of that request and will pair folks up as best we can. The success of this initiative depends on students letting us know that this is their preference. We cannot guarantee that we can pair everyone, but we will certainly try as we learn of students who are interested in such a match.

All requests are considered but not guaranteed. If we need more information to make a decision, we will call you at your home. If you want to be contacted elsewhere, be sure to include an alternative phone number or email address.

Alexander, Christensen, Richardson, Lord, and Williamson are exclusively for first-year students.  All other halls except Mills Hall and Adams Tower West (which are upper-class only) are at least 25 percent occupied by first-years so, no matter where you live, you’ll find other new students experiencing similar first-year transition issues.

We are committed to working with students who are experiencing uncomfortable living situations, and will help you as best we can, however we encourage you to talk with your residence hall director.

Assignments are typically available in early July. An email will be sent to your UNH account with Blackboard instructions for looking up your assignment and roommate.


The University Transportation Services states that freshmen campus residents are not eligible for parking permits. Please visit their website for additional information.

Cooking is prohibited in student rooms in the residence halls and allowed only in designated kitchen units or facilities.

Students may not remove or store furnishings provided by the University and may not replace them with other items owned or rented by the student. The Department of Housing will not remove or store the standard University furnishings. Public area or lounge furnishings shall not be moved into a student’s room.

Co-ed living options are available at Woodside, The Gables, and Mills Hall.  Handler Hall and Peterson Hall offers co-ed options in the large suites (6+ persons).

  • There is no co-ed options in Haaland Hall.

Rules and requirements:

  • Groups requesting a co-ed apartment or Mills Hall suite participate in the appropriate sign-up process, following the same general guidelines as single-gendered groups. All group members must meet age or class standing eligibility requirements.
  • Co-ed groups must be able to fill the apartment that they are requesting. Partial co-ed groups will not be assigned.
  • While the apartments or suites are considered co-ed, the bedrooms within the apartments or suites are not.
  • During the sign-up process, all members of the co-ed group must sign an online agreement regarding co-ed living.
  • If a person leaves the co-ed living arrangement after being assigned, the remaining residents must identify an eligible and appropriate replacement. If they are not able to do so, Housing may choose to convert the suite/apartment back to a single-gender and relocate those residents who are affected by the change.

**The Department of Housing may use its discretion to prohibit or terminate any co-ed living arrangement that it deems unacceptable.

What you can't do.

  • Remove any item of University equipment/furniture from the room or premises
  • Alter or replace the locks or install your own locks or security devices
  • Make any structural or electrical alterations to the room
  • Use nails, screws, bolts or decals on the furniture, walls, doors, woodwork, ceiling or floors
  • Remove the screens; and you can't build partitions or make alterations to the furniture.

What you can use to hang stuff.

Tape that doesn't remove the paint and wall finish, poster tacks, and removable mounting products.

We encourage students to seek a roommate match by utilizing the roommate search options in the online housing selection program.  Or opt for a random roommate during the last night of the room selection process which allows students to partially fill a room.  Additionally, many students utilize their class Facebook page to connect with others.

The student is responsible for the behavior of their guests, for damages caused by their guests and for informing guests of hall policies. Overnight guests are not permitted in University housing without advance permission of all students of the room/apartment in which they are staying. Overnight guests may not stay longer than two nights in any given week. No more than ten people may be in a residence hall room or between 13 and 24 people in an apartment, depending upon apartment, at one time, per order of the Durham Fire Department.

  • Turn off your space heater
  • Know the location of the thermostat or temperature sensor controls! (Having heat-producing items near the temperature controls can cause the heat in your space to shut off prematurely.)
  • Close your doors and windows
  • Close shades and blinds at night to conserve heat, and open them on sunny days for solar heat.
  • Turn back thermostats to 60-65 degrees when leaving the building at the end of the day or on weekends.

Housing is open monday through friday 8:00am-5:00pm.  You can visit us here at 10 Academic Way or give us a call at (603)-862-2120.

Many past students in reserved housing ended up being assigned to some of our most sought after halls! Please feel free to submit any additional preferences via email at or call our Call Center at (603)862-2120.

Smoking is prohibited:

  • Within 20 feet of any building.
  • Inside all buildings owned and occupied or leased and occupied by UNH
  • Forest park apartments
  • University vehicles
  • Entrances and outside stairways to buildings. 
  • Courtyards or other areas where air circulation may be impeded by architectural, landscaping or other barriers.
  • Outdoor entry or service lines, such as for ticket purchases, event admissions, bus stops ATMs, etc.
  • Outdoor seating areas provided by food services

Courtesy hours are always in effect and residents are to respect requests of others for quiet. Residence hall quiet hours are Sunday-Thursday 10pm-7am and 12am-8am on Friday and Saturday. Apartment quiet hours are Sunday-Thursday 11pm-7am and 1am-8am on Friday and Saturday.

Yes.  Hi-speed wireless connections are available in every residence hall and in every lounge.  Outdoor wireless connections are available at select locations on campus.  View the map.

Maintenance & Damage Billing

Extra Cleaning

Charge: $20 minimum -or- billed by the hour 

  • Removing food from carpets, walls, ceilings, stair, etc.
  • Removing sputum from walls, bathroom stalls, etc.
  • Cleaning food, tobacco chew, excessive tooth paste, etc. out of sinks/water fountains.
  • Cleaning excessive graffiti off walls.
  • Cleaning excessive shaving cream off sinks, stalls, floors, etc.
  • Cleaning hair that was left behind from a haircut done in the bathroom.
  • Any other similar cleaning.


Minimum charge $20. Trash can leak on the carpets and create unsanitary conditions, and it has the potential to be a fire hazard. Students are responsible for disposing their own trash.

  • Emptying room trash into a bathroom trashcan.
  • Leaving room trash in the hallways or stairwells.
  • Leaving room trash in the lounges.
  • Emptying room trash into a lounge trashcan.
  • Pizza boxes not properly disposed.

Biohazardous Matter

Minimum of $100 per instance.

The following are chargeable: 

Urine, feces, condoms or vomit

  • Any matter found in the UNH housing facilities. (depending on the situation, may become a criminal investigation with the UNH Police Department)


  • Any blood clean up in bathrooms, hallways, walls, carpet, lounges, etc. If the incident was accidental and an attempt was made to clean up, no charge will occur. Situations that are accidental will be looked upon differently than ones that are purposeful. For example, a person who had a nose bleed and bled in the bathroom will be treated differently than an injury, resulting in blood loss, due to drunkenness or violence.

Lock & Combinations Changes

  • Lock Change & Cut Keys (Residence Halls) $75
  • Lock Change & Cut Keys (On-Campus Apartments) $75
  • Combination Change $25
  • Damaged Swipe Card Reader $400-$800

Room Cleaning

$50 minimum -for students leaving for the year and did not clean their rooms

Other charges

  • Spring-loaded door hinge tampering - $40
  • Screen Removal OR Screen Damage - $50 - $175 (depending on location)
  • Life Safety Equipment (fire extinguisher, smoke detectors, etc) tampering - $100

The Department of Housing does not collect nor require a damage deposit when a resident accepts on-campus housing; instead we bill for each incident that occurs. It is our belief this encourages a sense of ownership in the building by the residents and improves everyone's ability to control costs.

Through floor meetings and monthly postings of damages that have occurred in the building. Residents can also read a copy of the Room and Board Agreement. Reminders are also given in periodic residence hall newsletters.

The Hills The Valley The Timbers Th Gables Woodside
Adams Tower West: 259 Alexander Hall: 051 Babcock Hall: 084 Gables A: 161 A-C: 281
Congreve Hall: 020 Devine Hall: 078 Christensen Hall: 096 Gables B: 162 D-F: 282
Jessie Doe Hall: 068 Engelhardt Hall: 044 Eaton House: 145 Gables C: 163 G-I:283
Lord Hall: 058 Fairchild Hall: 015 Hall House: 146 Gables North: 396 J-L: 284
McLaughlin Hall: 055 Gibbs Hall: 045 Hubbard Hall: 085 Gables  South:  397 M-O: 285
Sawyer Hall: 052 Hetel Hall: 022 Marston House: 147   P-R: 289
Scott Hall: 030 Hitchcock Hall: 059 Richardson House: 148   Community Center: 280
Stoke Hall:077 Hunter Hall: 046 Handler Hall: 301    
  Mills Hall: 016 Peterson Hall: 302    
  Randall Hall: 079 Haaland Hall: 303    
    Williamson Hall: 112    

Any destruction, theft, and vandalism to University property including furniture, walls, floors, and windows in student rooms and in common areas (stairwells, lounges, bathrooms, hallways).

Extra cleaning above and beyond normal housekeeping services is also considered billable damage.


On your UNH Webcat account.

Log into Blackboard then select the "Webcat/Services> Bill/Account Summary/View your student account

Click the actual damage charge to view a detailed breakdown. Only students viewing their own account have access to the detail breakdown

The bill for fall semester damages will be posted in early February and the bill for spring semester damages will be posted in mid-June.


  • Students
  • Hall Councils
  • Resident Assistants
  • Hall Directors
  • Property Managers
  • UNH Facilities
  • University Police and/or Durham Police Department
  • Department of Housing

The individual(s) who is/are responsible for the damage is/are accountable for the damage. Every effort is made to identify the responsible party.

Mid-year options

Talk with your Hall Director or RA about the In-Hall Process that will take place in your hall in late November/early December.
Any student who wishes to leave on-campus housing for any reason at the end of Fall semester (or anytime during the Spring semester) must submit a Petition for the Release from Housing by the 2nd Friday in November. The petition will be reviewed and considered based on your individual circumstances.  If submitted by the deadline you will receive an email prior to Thanksgiving break.

You must submit a petition if you plan to leave campus housing for any reason including:

  • Graduation
  • Withdrawal from UNH
  • Participation in a Study Abroad/Exchange Program
In mid-November, you can self-schedule a 10 minute Between Hall appointment using our on-line appointment calendar at  At this appointment you will speak with a Housing Assignments specialist about spaces available next semester, and directions and information if you elect to be reassigned for spring semester.
Please contact Sarah Taylor in the Housing Office at 862-1754. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors are eligible for The Gables. Sophomores (who are at least 20), juniors, and seniors are eligible for Woodside.

Reserved Housing

We will send an email to your student UNH email account with information about your room assignment and roommate(s), if applicable.

Housing is guaranteed to all first-year students. Those that don’t apply by the deadlines are left in a reserved housing pool. 

The process incorporates thousands of students and their individual preferences. Each year, there are students left in the pool after the first round of assignments are made. We work hard to get your assignment information out to you as soon as possible.

Because of the thousands of applications we process, there is no way for us to predict when we will be able to assign you to a room. However, all assignments will be made by mid-August.

Reserved housing doesn’t mean you did anything wrong. Rooms are assigned by an automated assignment process which places all first year students who have submitted their application by the deadline. The process incorporates thousands of students and their individual preferences. Each year, there are students left in the pool after the first round of assignments are made – those students become the reserved housing group (that’s you). You didn’t do anything to land you here – it just happened. We know that you are anxiously awaiting your assignment, so we will work hard to get your assignment information out to you as soon as possible, promise!

Returners Sign-up

Sign-up times are directly related to the amount of credits you have earned as of the end of January.  A person with more credits will have a better sign-up time.  Students with the same amount of credits are then randomized for times.

Well, that's always THE question we get asked!  How can I increase my odds?  The only way we know to increase you odds to get into Mills or Congreve or suite-style halls like Handler, Haaland or Peterson is to be pulled in by someone who lives there.  Or, if you know someone who as a whole lot of AP credits and you are friends, add them to your group, they might bump you up to a higher sign-up time.  But the best way to prepare to get a good space is to make a plan, and then make a plan B and plan C.  Just like the Boy Scouts - be prepared!

Current on-campus residents select their housing during the returners process. Transferring students have an entirely different process and usually the two do not overlap. So for right now, you cannot pull a transferring student into the residence halls during the returning student sign-up process.  There's a possibility that if the transfer students gets an offer of housing, he/she may be able to pull you into an assignment at the on-campus apartments, but that wouldn't be known at this time.

Yep, good question.  Yep, the answer is there's nothing we can do.  It's an automatic, online system and once it's running, it can't be stopped.  So be very, very confident in your choice before you commit.  That's one of the reasons we ask, and re-ask, "are you sure?" "this can't be undone".  'Cause it can't!  If you've chosen and you don't like you space, you can come to the Housing Office the next day and put your name on a "wish list" for a different space.

Just like with your RAC, you can sign-up anytime after your sign-up time until the sign-up time closes.  Remember tho, more spaces will have been taken the longer you wait.  If you completely miss your sign-up window from your start time until after the pool closes, you will have to come by the Housing Office to discuss what options you have.

If your group doesn't get a suite on the first day of sign-up (that's why suite sign-up is on March 7), then you have that evening to change your group's configuration (disband, reform, etc) and move on to Plan B on March 8.  You have a plan B, right?  The next day is the traditional rooms sign-up and perhaps getting rooms adjacent to each other on a long hall could become your new plan B.

We are staffed during all sign-ups so if you are experiencing any technical issues, please give our office a call.  One technical issue we do see quiet often is when students share laptops.  That by itself is not an issue, however, you MUST close down the browser completely between each login instance into Blackboard in order for Blackboard to release the cookies and session tokens. 

Well, you've hit the nail on the head, haven't you?  There's always room for everyone, maybe just not the room you exactly wanted, eh?  But you do have to choose something, seriously, you do!  If you want to live on-campus for next year, you need to pick a space.  If the space you picked is not the space you wanted, you can come on over to the Housing Office the next day or so and complete a "wish list".  We work with students who've put their names on wish lists over the course of the summer to get them into a better suited space.  We try really hard to accomodate as many requests for change as we can.  So don't sit and stew, get your name on a wish list and we'll see what kind of magic we can weave.

Partial spaces are actually what you would call a random roommate.  It's like you are group of 1 but you don't want a single room, you just want to be randomly assigned.  The random roommate process does have some quirky rules so here they are:

  • there are can be two rooms "in-play" per gender in any hall, at one time (this stops the creation of hundreds of one-off singley filled rooms and forces consolidation into rooms)
  • only double rooms can be partially filled (not triples, not quads, not suites doubles, just traditional double rooms)
  • you can drill down and find out who is occupying the partially filled double room before selecting the space
  • if there are no partials in the hall where you want to live, you can create a partial space
  • if there is one partial in the hall you want to live, you can take that partial, or create a new partial
  • if there are two partials already created in the hall you want to live, you would have to select one of those spaces, or ride out some time and wait until someone selects those spaces so that you can then create a new partial (that's how having only "two" in play works)

Safety, Security & Lockouts

  • Toasters and toaster ovens, hot plates, electric fry pans and electric heaters.
  • Appliances plugged in and unattended such as curling irons, hair straighteners, coffee pots, hot pots, irons and popcorn poppers.
  • An extension used for a microwave or refrigerator that is not construction-grade quality.
  • Refrigerators exceeding a height of 35 inches and drawing more than 1.5 amps of power along with microwaves exceeding a power output of 800 watts.
  • More than 50 percent of any wall or exit door covered (does not include furniture).
  • Candles, tarts, incense and other items with a wick.
  • Room doors must open at least 90 degrees.
  • Additional best safety practices/guidelines at UNH residence and on-campus apartments, click here

Firearms are not allowed on campus. UNH Police does provide firearms storage, more information can be found here.

Hours of Operation: 
Mon-Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm 

The Housing Key Service is located to the Housing Office at 10 Academic Way. Should you misplace your room key, our staff is available to assist you by issuing a temporary replacement.  Our staff is also available to provide let-in services in the rare circumstance where you are locked out but unable to come to the Housing Office.  These services will be provided by Housing each business day (Monday-Friday) from 9:00am - 5:00pm.  During that time please visit us at the Housing Office or call the Housing Key Service Desk at (603) 862-2120 to request assistance. Please be sure to bring a form of identification with you to secure a loaner key.

What do I do?

Check with your key desk located in Stoke Hall, Devine Hall, Christensen Hall, Gables B building, Woodsides Community Building, and the Forest Park office.

What if the key desk is closed/I can’t make it there?

Each student is allowed one complimentary let-in over the course of the academic year (regardless of whether it is provided by Housing or Police Support Services).  Call (603) 862-1427. You must wait by your room and provide some form of ID. (If you left your ID in your room it can be shown once your door is unlocked.)

Your student account will be charged $25.00 for each additional let-in event.

Lost your keys?

If you have lost your key, please notify the Housing Key Service so that we can request that the lock on your room be changed.  The $75 re-core cost will be charged to your student account.  For those of you living in buildings with combos, resetting the combination to a room will result in a $25 charge to your student account. 

Locked out of your vehicle?

The University Police (603-862-1427) will come and attempt to unlock your vehicle under the following circumstances

  1. It is your vehicle
  2. You sign a waiver eliminating the University Police Department from liability for any damage done to your vehicle.
  3. You wait by the vehicle
  • Halogen lamps
  • Hot plates
  • Heating/immersion coils
  • Electric frying pans
  • Toaster ovens
  • Electric heaters
  • Electric blankets
  • any item that is non-recognized to a UL standard by a nationally recognized testing laboratory
  • Air conditioners
  • Clothes washers and dryers
  • Dishwashers
  • Water beds
  • TV or radio antennae or any other objects that are placed outside the room window.
  • Firearms
  • Flammable materials such as; candles, incense, explosives, fireworks, gasoline, propane, butane, etc.
  • Weapons
  • Motorized vehicles
  • Paraphernalia including, but not limited to, bongs, pipes, rolling papers, etc.
  • Built-in wall or ceiling attachments
  • Pets or animals of any kind, except non-dangerous fish. One ten-gallon tank containing fish is allowed per room.
  • Alcohol (unless 21 years or older)

Safety inspections of students’ rooms for fire hazards and violations will be conducted several times per semester. If any violations are found an inspection report form will be issued and you will be expected to comply with its findings.

All residence halls are equipped electronic card access systems allowing students access to their building by swiping their University ID card through a card reader located at designated exterior doors. All students living in on-campus housing will have access to their own residence halls and on-campus undergraduate apartments.

Each residence hall is protected by an automatic fire detection system that is connected directly to the Durham Fire Department. Upon receipt of alarm activation, the Fire Department immediately responds to your residence hall. The fire protection system is comprised of smoke and heat detectors, sprinklers and hallway manual pull stations. All rooms have a sprinkler and a local-sounding smoke detector. A charge of $100 is assessed to the occupant(s) of a room for tampering with a smoke detector. If you suspect a smoke detector is malfunctioning contact your RA immediately.

Fire Extinguishers

Fire extinguishers are located in every residence hall hallway. These are your first line of defense in case of a fire and could save your life or the lives of your friends. Do not tamper with fire extinguishers. Eviction from the residence hall is a possible consequence for tampering with a fire extinguisher. There is a $100 charge for resetting a fire extinguisher that has been misused.